Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

At home beauty ideas when self isolating?

(19 Posts)
petitpois Wed 18-Mar-20 09:33:55

I'm obviously avoiding going to my hairdresser (desperately in need of a trim) or the salon that tidies my eyebrows and deals with my facial hair blush. What are you all doing in the interim? I realise I won't be seeing many people so please don't tell me not to worry about it. I just know it will make me feel better if I look presentable. It will also give me something to do. How do I self-beautify? grin

Teetime Wed 18-Mar-20 09:46:08

I'd start with a face pack just a thick layer of moisturiser if you dont have any, power shower and some body brushing to get the skin tingling and the circulation going, follow that with bath with some oils or similar in and then lots of body lotion after. After all that sit at your dressing table and do a light make up and you hair then find something nice in your wardrobe that you haven't worn for a while as its 'too good' for wearing round the house. Put on some jewellery - the good stuff if you have it.Depending on the time of day set yourself a tray of something delicious to eat and drink and find a radio or TV prog/book you like and relax. Is that OK?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Mar-20 09:59:27

Teetime sounds perfect ?

ALLD Wed 18-Mar-20 09:59:44

What great suggestions Teetime. I was going to say, enjoy yourself and take your time. Where something you feel glamourous in and you'll see the benefit from it as you'll be smiling whilst embracing your natural beauty.

annsixty Wed 18-Mar-20 10:07:47

I cancelled my mobile hairdresser yesterday,sadly she didn’t understand why.
I am 82 and she could have been to several clients before me, not counting all week.
I have decided that the old Velcro rollers will have to come out of the drawer they are lurking in, just to stop my lank hair from hanging around my face .
I have gone white so colour is not an issue and a bit of of lippy will do the job for now, but I will put decent clothes on.

petitpois Wed 18-Mar-20 11:33:33

Oh Teetime, that sounds heavenly. I love the idea of setting out a tray especially.
But my hair still looks pretty awful. Am debating trimming it myself or giving it a conditioning treatment. Does anyone else do their own eyebrows? Do you just use tweezers? Although thinnish mine still tend to go a bit unruly and need 6 weekly sorting out. I'm on week 5 now blush.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 12:21:52

I just use tweezers on my eyebrows, practically daily. They grow where they shouldn't and there are not as many where there should be.
Have you got a good magnifying mirror petitpois?

petitpois Wed 18-Mar-20 15:59:27

Not really, I just use my bathroom mirror. Not sure I'd recover seeing myself in magnification! grin I may have to invest in a good eyebrow tweezer. I believe there are some with lights on them which might be helpful. I also have my eyelashes dyed and I know you can buy kits to do it yourself but I'm a bit nervy about doing that.

Happiyogi Thu 19-Mar-20 21:13:44

petitpois do you use eyelash curlers? They can make a huge difference and only take 10 seconds per eye in the morning. Much less faff than a dye kit.

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 19:16:31

Yesterday I went in and cancelled my hair appointment for mid-April and booked one instead for late June!! I then went to the Beautician to cancel next week's brow shape and tint. i found her with a gap in her appointments so had them done their and then, so I have gone into seclusion with immaculate eye brows!

mcem Fri 20-Mar-20 19:25:27

Like the idea of dressing up! How about an exchange of pic's - not including my eyebrows!

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 20:03:49

Oh, do we have to?
I was going to spend 12 weeks slobbing around in my joggers!

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 20:04:24

I might order some waxing strips for my legs though, in case I get my shorts out of hibernation.

mcem Fri 20-Mar-20 20:46:05

C Would still leave us 11 weeks and 6 days to resort to type!!

mcem Fri 20-Mar-20 20:46:38

Revert not resort!

NotAGran55 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:03:49

A manicure and pedicure listening to an audible book will while way a good bit of time . Thoroughly recommended Seche Vite top coat to speed- dry each layer of polish .

Nanna58 Tue 24-Mar-20 19:26:23

Have ordered practically the last of the hair dye available on the Boots website and some root brushes and will DIM ( do it myself!)

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 20:14:30

Yes, I too have got a pack of dye stashed away, Who wants to come out of seclusion a mix of brown and grey, O I forgot some people consider this a moral cause.

I also checked my stock of perfume so I can continue to smell fragrant as I waft around the house.

Fennel Wed 25-Mar-20 11:09:30

I've trimmed my fringe myself for years and the rest is usually fastened back. I have some good scissors.
If I get desperate I might let husband cut off a length.
Plucking facial hairs etc - I can still do that myself, but not as tidy as a professional.
Is foot care included? I usually have a podiatrist to cut nails and deal with corns, but can still do it myself if I soak my feet first.