Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Short hair. Any tips on coping during the present time

(52 Posts)
craftyone Fri 27-Mar-20 19:08:03

My hair has started to feel uncomfortable. I have a fringe and short side bits and glasses. Typical silver hair now becoming thinner because of age. Short at the back

Should I give my fringe and side bits a trim myself or would it be better to let them grow long and clip back, putting side bits behind ears, eventually. I have nice cloth bands, got them in 2 weeks ago, not yet worn. Help would be welcome, I normally get a cut every 6 weeks and it is a week past that now

rockgran Thu 02-Apr-20 19:40:20

Long ago my dad was a barber so I know the theory. I gave my husband a quick lesson in layering the hair. Then I let him loose on mine and he did a pretty good job. Feels a lot better anyway! I was beginning to feel like a yeti.

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 19:27:08

HappyYogi You also have to have a selection of costumes to dress up in such as these:
You may be able to run some up out of old curtains

craftyone Thu 02-Apr-20 18:59:21

the retro hairbands arrived and they are very nice, I also got some very pretty grips and spiral hair ties. Hair is still ok. In a few weeks time we should get to see some natural hair colours grin

fatgran57 Wed 01-Apr-20 23:32:04

I have asked OH to trim mine but so far no luck. I don't care much how it looks as it grows so fast it won't matter but I do hate my bushy hair.

I have thinning scissors but still need the length cut.

Have watched YouTube videos and it looks doable but I just can't get the hang of trying to do the cuts looking in the mirror.

Used to having a trim every 3 weeks!

Pittcity Wed 01-Apr-20 15:27:38

I tried it Happiyogi and looked like Olive from On The Buses.

Happiyogi Wed 01-Apr-20 12:50:31

Pittcity I hope you're joking! Every time I see LW I'm reminded of a four year old in the 1950s! Wasn't a good look then and still isn't!

I'd suggest refining it by taking the offending hair to the side more softly, and applying the clip to it underneath the surrounding hair for a less brutal look. smile

Pittcity Wed 01-Apr-20 11:11:51

Maybe clipping the fringe to the side like Lucy Worsley might work when it gets too long.

glammanana Wed 01-Apr-20 10:38:11

I was so lucky to get an appointment with my local hairdresser just before they closed for business and had 10 inches off the length so it is now a long bob and easy to tie back if needed but the problem will be the fringe when it grows a bit,I have never been able to cut across a fringe with out drastic results looks like it has been cut with a knife and fork when I've done it before.

pensionpat Wed 01-Apr-20 10:24:22

I was due for a regular trim today. So I’m now in uncharted territory. Like a previous poster I shall consider a whole new look one day.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Apr-20 09:02:20

Apparently all the teenage boys in my granddaughters circle are shaving their heads as they are used to three weekly trims into their various styles
I can’t bear mine (short choppy hair) when it gets towards the end of a cut so it ll be scissors for me I should be ok for a couple of weeks as slipped one in just before lockdown and I usually last a month it grows like billy O though

Pittcity Wed 01-Apr-20 08:53:49

I decided to grow my fringe out last Summer and I am so glad I stuck with it. My hair is looking so much better after not using styling products for a week or more!

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 08:35:11

It's gusty out in the garden so I'm copying the practical headscarf my Mum used to wear for housework and garden - back in the day:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOU044QPoU

Oopsminty Wed 01-Apr-20 08:23:32

Kirby grips!

Nicer ones are available

craftyone Wed 01-Apr-20 08:22:08

6-8 weeks will be interesting. I don`t fancy wearing a cloth hairband in hot weather, maybe bunches, it will still be too short to tie back

GracesGranMK3 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:27:41

We could all decide the veil was very elegant. Modest fashion is apparently catching on.

3dognight Sat 28-Mar-20 19:18:23

Mine is an utter mess anyway, I'm growing it from a crop to long. It's grey, thick and wavy,and now grown to halfway down my ears, the back is abit longer. As its all one length, if it wasn't for straighteners on maximum heat I would be in despair by now. Then scraped into a tight ponyband and a few clips I can forget about it.

There is a good gel wax, in a little blue tub, I think it's Alberto balsam, a little bit of that can tame wild hair!

lilypollen Sat 28-Mar-20 18:47:15

Enjoying this! I just like having a tidy hairstyle. It will be interesting to hear how peoples' hair is in 6-8 weeks time grin Not sure how DH is going to look hmm

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 16:28:53

The new young hairdresser thinned mine out and it is a complete mess this time.

gillyknits Sat 28-Mar-20 16:15:15

Phoenix. I’m with you there on the thinning out scissors or dog grooming shears. Unfortunately you don’t get much control with them and could end up with very, very short bits of hair.
Mine gets so thick and bushy that I might just wear a hat all the time.

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 16:11:13

No, he's not called Bob!

A longer bob hairstyle

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 16:10:08

lilypollen if I had a longer Bob there is no way I would let my DH near it with any scissors [frin]

Could you tie it up into one of those rather untidy buns that seem so fashionable amongst younger women now?

Callistemon Sat 28-Mar-20 16:06:34

I always have a fringe, craftyone and trim it in between hairdressing visits.

I always trim it wet, straight, then chip into it with the scissors, so it is not such a blunt cut.

However, I shall read all the tips on here with interest.

rosecarmel Sat 28-Mar-20 15:48:31

Someone needs to start a corona-cuts Facebook group or Twitter hashtag- People are warning each other not to cut their bangs by themselves ..

I cut about 6 inches off, and it's crooked- Maybe in 2 weeks it won't be so noticeable .. ?

craftyone Sat 28-Mar-20 15:37:59

being alone too there is no chance of me attempting the back or top, anyway the shoulders might not let me. I have done my fringe, the same as in that youtube video. It is fine and my scissors were still sharp. It was very difficult trying to aim at the fringe via the mirror, very blurred eyesight without glasses and hair constantly in my eyes. The most difficult was towards the left side, being right handed but all in all I certainly feel more comfortable and it does not look that bad. Washed it too

Littleannie Sat 28-Mar-20 15:23:34

grannyticktock
Can you prop a mirror up somehow, on a chair or other piece of furniture? Good luck.