Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Short hair. Any tips on coping during the present time

(51 Posts)
craftyone Fri 27-Mar-20 19:08:03

My hair has started to feel uncomfortable. I have a fringe and short side bits and glasses. Typical silver hair now becoming thinner because of age. Short at the back

Should I give my fringe and side bits a trim myself or would it be better to let them grow long and clip back, putting side bits behind ears, eventually. I have nice cloth bands, got them in 2 weeks ago, not yet worn. Help would be welcome, I normally get a cut every 6 weeks and it is a week past that now

BradfordLass73 Fri 27-Mar-20 19:17:39

I've just trimmed my fringe but then I do that even when not in lockdown.

Headbands and clips are not comfortable for me. Do what you feel would work best for you.
At least in lockdown you don't need to worry about how you look quite so much as if you were popping out to meet people.

Zinc and silica will both help thinning hair.

Curlywhirly Fri 27-Mar-20 19:18:00

If you feel confident enough, give your fringe and side bits a quick trim. One tip is, when trimming your fringe, don't just comb it forward (onto your eyebrows) and trim; you need to lift the fringe off the forhead (so it is at right angles to your forehead) then trim. This ensures you get a slightly feathered fringe, which is more flattering. I am sure there will be a youtube demonstration on how to cut a fringe.

MiniMoon Fri 27-Mar-20 19:18:01

I will be cutting my own fringe and side bits. I cannot stand my hair touching my eyebrows so the scissors will come out. Who is going to see us, when we have to stay at home?

craftyone Fri 27-Mar-20 19:21:33

I don`t care what I look like, it is that uncomfortable feeling. Thank you curlywhirly, that is one excellent tip for me smile

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 19:22:08

I’ve decided to let mine grow and when I eventually go to the hairdresser decide on a whole new style.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 27-Mar-20 19:22:31

Mine is short and straight so I had a go at the fringe last night, and it looks bloody awful nice.grin

Wibby Fri 27-Mar-20 19:23:27

When I cut my fringe I pull it all forward, hold it then twist a couple of times then cut the ends off, that way its not such a blunt cut. Its always best to cut it dry not wet, if cut when wet it always shrinks when its dried and you end up with a much shorter fringe.

phoenix Fri 27-Mar-20 19:28:16

My hair is short, layered, very slightly sort of Judi Dench type style.

It grows like a flipping weed!

I am giving serious consideration to ordering a stripping comb, the sort used by dog groomers, as it might at least take some of the thickness out.

Curlywhirly Fri 27-Mar-20 19:39:36

Phoenix, I think they are called thinning scissors.

FarNorth Fri 27-Mar-20 19:39:51

Greeneyedgirl grin

Curlywhirly Fri 27-Mar-20 19:41:11

I'm not a hairdresser - just have dabbled for years with my husband's, he doesn't seem to mind!

M0nica Fri 27-Mar-20 20:21:11

Minimoon I have exactly the same problem with hating my fringe reaching my eyebrows, so definitely intend to trim my fringe. I cannot see the back of my head, so as far as I am concerned it will be out of sight out of mind. If it grows really long (6 months social distancing), I will tie it back.

craftyone Sat 28-Mar-20 07:53:39

I haven`t dared do my fringe yet and I relish the tip on not cutting it wet, I would have done. Arghh. I would have looked like a broomhead

Lilypops Sat 28-Mar-20 08:01:01

I have short hair it started to grow out sideways as well as my fringe coming to meet my eyebrows, so yesterday I gave myself a trim cutting into the sides , I cut it dry so I could see how it was looking , also cut my fringe , it’s sort of choppy but it looks ok , I am quite happy with it and no one is going to see it,
I expect when things get back to normal the hairdressers will be very busy correcting our DIY efforts and home colours,,

Newquay Sat 28-Mar-20 08:40:52

Our (lovely) home hairdresser beat us to it last and cancelled so, after shower, hair still damp I sat on garden bench DH held mirror (am very short sighted) and with his sharp scissors (defo not my dressmaking ones) I cut upwards into my fringe then, a la hairdresser I picked up layers and took a bit off and shortened side bits. DH went round edge of back-not bad! Will get some of those thinning scissors I think.

Teetime Sat 28-Mar-20 09:47:06

I saw a plea from a hairdresser asking customers not to do anything drastic that could take a lot of correcting and cost a lot of money - I think it was probably with reference to colouring. I shall try to do something 'fabulous' with a scarf or headband or I could wear a golf visor I have several and could ring the changes. LOL!

ExD Sat 28-Mar-20 09:54:45

Here's a chance to embrace our grey and chuck the dyes into the bin. I'm playing around with headbands and scarves which look pretty silly with my present style - and there are quite a few tutorials online - but I'm a bit scared to go there.
But I think I will go natural grey.

craftyone Sat 28-Mar-20 13:27:10

I need to pluck up corage, it need washing after being in a very windy garden all morning. It looks scraggy. I wish I wasn`t so short sighted and I wish I had not used my sharp scissors for cutting cardboard, they are hairdressing scissors that I have had for a long time

It will be interesting to see what happens to the reporters on tv.

craftyone Sat 28-Mar-20 13:31:35

I am going upstairs, going to be gentle and have a go, bearing in mind that I am very short sighted
www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+to+trim+my+own+fringe#kpvalbx=_wlB_Xs3DGrXuxgPvmJqIDA30

Greeneyedgirl Sat 28-Mar-20 13:32:52

I can understand that it is very important for some to maintain their appearance as part of keeping upbeat in these unreal circumstances, and I don't underestimate this.

I was thinking of getting my hair coloured, it could certainly do with it (salt & pepper) but am glad now I didn't. Couldn't cope with home dyes (colouring the bathroom grouting) or buying the stuff. It's hard enough accessing essential food items.

I think it will be interesting to see how many will grow the dye out, and not return to it when this is all over. Perhaps some before and after pics would be good?

lilypollen Sat 28-Mar-20 14:28:27

I too am pondering as I'm due my monthly cut and blow dry for my chin length bob. Fringe I trim anyway but does a 65+ let hair grow and tie it back or do I let DH loose with scissors - I do have a pair I keep for hair only? Low lights will grow out but that can't be helped as I won't do DIY colour.

Littleannie Sat 28-Mar-20 14:44:34

Well, I cut my hair this morning. It is short and layered and was getting really untidy. I found videos on YouTube which I studied first. My husband held a mirror behind me at an angle so I could see the back.
The back was difficult but I managed it. The sides and top were easy, I just shortened it a bit all over.
The hardest part is trying to do it in a mirror. I kept angling the scissors the wrong way, or moving them right instead of left.
I am very pleased with the result. I wouldn't be ashamed for anybody to see it, if we could go out anywhere that is.
It will keep me going another 5 weeks.
I won't need the balaclava I knitted as a precaution!

cornergran Sat 28-Mar-20 14:54:51

I have short, layered very fine hair. The fringe and sides had a trim yesterday, so far so good. . I’ve worked out how to place mirrors so I can see the back, that’s tomorrow’s job.

I used to cut it myself when we were young and struggling. Have always trimmed Mr C’s hair. Can’t say I relish being my own hairdresser again but needs must. I’ll apologise to my usual hairdresser when this has passed. She may forgive me grin.

Dillyduck Sat 28-Mar-20 15:12:11

I'll be cutting my fringe soon, I cannot stand it in my eyes. Have suggested to eldest son that he may need to cut the back if we have to stay in for a long time. He wasn't very impressed with that idea!!