Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mascara/eyeliner for sensitive eyes

(16 Posts)
SueEH Wed 06-May-20 10:49:50

Hi
I have very sensitive eyes and occasional blepharatis. I am also very fair and my eyelashes appear non existant without mascara and/or a touch of eyeliner.
I haven't worn either for so long so just wondered whether anyone could recommend a brand that might not irritate?
Fingers crossed x

Teetime Wed 06-May-20 12:57:50

My daughter has a similar issue and finds only Clinique does the job.

MiniMoon Wed 06-May-20 13:53:52

I would go without.

I have sensitive skin too, and have never found any makeup that I didn't have a reaction to. Fortunately I have black brows and eyelashes so haven't really needed mascara.

janeainsworth Wed 06-May-20 13:59:07

Stay away from Victoria Beckham eyeliner?I bought some after it was recommended in the Sunday Times - lovely colour, shame about my red, swollen eyelids!! Reading the reviews, it turned out I was not the only one it has this effect on.

I started to suffer from blepharitis about 15 years ago & nothing worked until a friend recommended Simple Brand eye make up remover. I use it every night whether I’ve been wearing make up or not & the blepharitis eventually cleared up.

I use Bobbi Brown & Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadows & liner and DHC mascara.

SueEH Thu 07-May-20 09:02:20

Thank you for the advice. I used Clinique and Almay for a lot of years in the days where commuting on a train and applying full face every day was de rigeur! I'll certainly give Clinique another go, and the other suggestions too. I don't wear a lot of make up any more, but need blusher or look like a ghost -and love slightly smokey eyes smile

Callistemon Thu 07-May-20 09:24:56

I went to buy Almay last year for a change from Clinique but found the brand doesn't exist any more.

I use Clinique but have only used mascara once since 'lockdown' and my eyes are no better! It could be a touch of hay fever I think.

LadyGracie Thu 07-May-20 09:25:21

I use Estée Lauder mascara, recommended by my daughter who is allergic to many things.

Callistemon Thu 07-May-20 09:26:08

The Clinique Chubby stick blusher is good.

nightowl Thu 07-May-20 09:52:36

You may find cosmetics from brands such as Green People or Beauty Without Cruelty are gentler on your eyes (and skin). This is because they are generally made with fewer chemicals and more natural ingredients. I always find it strange that the brands which have been and continue to be tested on animals such as those named above) seem to be the ones that cause the most reactions. I have extremely sensitive eyes and skin (I have had anaphylactic reactions in the past) but cruelty free and organic ranges give me very few problems.

SueEH Thu 07-May-20 12:30:14

Interesting to know nightowl, I will definitely check them out. I'm probably even worse than usual now because of my annual reaction to tree pollen. And yes, Callistemon, I love the Chubby sticks too. They go on very easily and look very natural.

Alexa Thu 07-May-20 12:46:36

I used to put moisturiser on my eyelids until it occurred to me that was what made my eyes water. Powder eyeshadow makes my eyes water. I do without both of those now.

Kittye Sat 21-Aug-21 17:04:39

I find Clinique Naturally Glossy very good.

M0nica Sat 21-Aug-21 21:51:44

I have sensitive skin and cannot use anything containing preservatives or parabens near my eyes.

I buy most of my make-up products online from www.naturisimo.com/ They sell only organic products and my preferred brand is Lavera.

Scribbles Sat 21-Aug-21 23:09:08

Many brands of eye make up give me blepharitis but I have found mascara, eye shadows and eyeliner from greenpeople.co.uk give me no problems. The range isn't enormous but they're worth a look.

love0c Sun 22-Aug-21 09:19:04

I am ok with 'Soap and Glory' mascara. In my case I do wonder if it is since I stopped working and no longer use it every day. Never had a problem when I did.

Elless Sun 22-Aug-21 10:22:27

Why don't you try Revitalash and no mascara? It is expensive but there are other brands - it really works, I've used Revitalash and Revitabrow and they both were brilliant.