Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Frivolous in these times, but.... Mutton dressed as lamb?

(45 Posts)
Nannytrace Tue 12-May-20 21:35:11

I used to be confident buying clothes, doing make-up and styling my hair. Now I’m never quite sure what look I’m going for. There are plenty of you-tube tutorials on make up over 50, but I’m stuck in a rut with my wardrobe. Are skinny jeans and leggings still appropriate? They are my uniform, but I’m yearning for a change of silhouette. Has anyone any advice or can recommend any brands that are cut well for over 55’s. I buy m&s mostly but they can be really patterned and flouncy. If Trinny and Susanna ‘what not to wear’ were still a thing, I
would sign up! Any advice? Thank you.

oldgimmer1 Sat 23-May-20 12:02:40

I've just bought a pair of Levi's 501s in an attempt to reclaim my youth (and waistline).

aggie Sat 23-May-20 10:43:10

I am 82 , still wearing jeans and T-shirt’s ? who cares !

vegansrock Sat 23-May-20 06:38:13

Half my wardrobe is from Uniqlo, all the basics, t shirts, shirts, Jeans, knitwear, jackets etc. Really good quality and price. Lots of good offers. Good website.

Juliet27 Sat 23-May-20 04:05:51

I've bought a few items from Fat Face recently and been really pleased with their style and quality.

Grannyflower Sat 23-May-20 02:59:05

Try instagram for inspiration. I follow feronclarkstyle; bethgoodrham_stylist; LouLouStorey_stylist. All fantastic ladies, just watch their videos for a fresh take on things ??

Coolgran65 Sat 23-May-20 02:37:42

I love Masai but yes a bit expensive. Only for special.

My usual.style is Capri length trousers with ballet pumps or lace up canvas. Lots of linen in summer for funky or elegant tops and trousers. Trousers are peg leg with rolled cuff. Or standard wider legged linens often with a lagenlook linen top. I don't worry about linen looking creased, it is character.
Tunic straight dress with leggings and lace up canvas pumps. Last year I got 5 different coloured linen dresses of the one style from Mark's It's the only way I can wear a dress except for maxi because of thread veins.

Always a sleeve. Always a V or scoop neck linen
If cool I use a wrap if possible rather than a coat. I have several wraps..most have been gifts.

Got tired of skinny jeans.

Nannytrace Sat 23-May-20 01:28:36

Masai and Baukjen are sooooo beautiful- not heard of them before now. Unfortunately they are way out of my budget. However thank you loopy loo, cos I looked on eBay and they were more affordable on there. Just nothing quite right at the moment for work. In the end, I got some 3/4 trousers and 2 tops from Dorothy Perkins Tall range. I will keep looking on eBay now I have discovered these new brands. ?

Marydoll Wed 13-May-20 23:09:16

Paddyanne, I know they are all available on QVC, but they are usually full price. They items I like are rarely discounted.
I'm signed up to all sites you mention and am often offered discount codes, I rarely pay full price, obtaining free delivery.
I watch QVC fashion hours, spot something I like, then look for it elsewhere at a cheaper price
Recently I bought a top from the Joules outlet, with free delivery, then saw it on QVC for almost double, plus delivery.

However, I've been with QVC from the beginning, avail myself of the TSVs, but have yet to be offered a discount voucher from them for any items.
Today I received the le Creuset TSV, at half price. I checked the price against other sites, before I bought it. That was unusual for QVC.

Nannytrace Wed 13-May-20 22:31:54

SirChenjin, I will indeed let you all know when I make a purchase. I’m quite excited about it, which is great as it can become a chore when you don’t know where to start.
ladyBella, you are so right about the knees. I’ve seen elephants with better knees than mine.
Goodnight all and thanks again. ?

LadyBella Wed 13-May-20 20:27:51

Just don't show your knees. There's nothing worse than old knees. Expensive clothes invariably look better than cheap ones so better to buy fewer, better items. Leggings are dreadful except on the very young. I think Riverwalk has got it right. I mentally give people marks out of 10 for the way they look. Few get above 4. Not that I'm perfect - wish I was but it's fun, nobody knows I'm doing it and it makes me resolve never to look like most of them! Consequently I make more effort.

growstuff Wed 13-May-20 20:23:04

I have far too many scarves.

growstuff Wed 13-May-20 20:21:55

I'm nearly 6ft and a size 14, so the last thing I need is anything which creates a lean silhouette because I already look like a beanpole. I have loads of jeggings and skinny trousers, which I wear with tunics/over-sized tops and boots and flats of all sorts. I wear narrow above the knee skirts, but always with coloured or patterned tights. Dresses are always a bit of a disaster because the waist is always in the wrong place for me. I still have a few expensive, well cut and tailored suits from my working days, but I hardly ever wear them now.

Casdon Wed 13-May-20 20:04:40

I like Baukjen, well made and fit well. I can recommend the blogs by midlifechic as well, she always has recommendations I would wear myself, and she shows you what she looks like in them, as well as a very honest opinion on fit and quality.

SirChenjin Wed 13-May-20 19:42:06

Glad it’s been useful and happy shopping! Will you let us know if you buy something lovely? smile

Nannytrace Wed 13-May-20 18:46:50

Well, thank you all! I have lots to investigate and will thoroughly enjoy browsing. Some new ideas and some good advice. And some new friends to chat with. What more could I want. ?

Glorybee Wed 13-May-20 18:27:48

Thanks again Lucca, I’ll take a peek ??

Lucca Wed 13-May-20 18:24:15

Glorybee. They fit big I’d say. I am A size 12 And usually buy small in Masai. Have a look at Capri clothing too or Kit and Kaboodal.

Deedaa Wed 13-May-20 17:43:07

My legs are no good for skinny jeans and as a size 18 they are a bit of an oxymoron buy I wear straight cut jeans that look fairly skinny on me. During the winter TK Maxx was a life saver with lots of interesting long sleeved tops and jumpers that were a decent length and interesting designs.And cheap! In the summer it's vests and T shirts with linen trousers or long skirts.

loopyloo Wed 13-May-20 10:18:56

Was doing a Marie Kondo on my clothes and I have so many I decided never to buy any more. Then decided I could really do with a plain green skirt and found what I wanted on eBay for £4.99.
The thing that would really help would be to lose 2 stone.

Fishpieplease Wed 13-May-20 10:12:51

Another vote for Masai...the clothes don’t always look that appealing on a hangar. It’s really worth trying them on as I find the clothes comfortable and easy to wear. Masai is expensive full price,but the clothes don’t date.

Riverwalk Wed 13-May-20 10:04:26

Are skinny jeans and leggings still appropriate? They are my uniform, but I’m yearning for a change of silhouette

I moved on from them a while ago and now prefer chinos and ankle-length capri-style trousers with shorter tops, not tunics, in the main.

I'm another fan of Boden, also Cos, Jigsaw, etc.

paddyanne Wed 13-May-20 09:55:21

Marydoll I buy Joules,Phase Eight and Monsoon all from QVC amongst other well known brands the NYDJ 's someone above mentioned is one.There is a vast number of brands you'll find all types and styles if you look.

SirChenjin Wed 13-May-20 09:48:32

Why yuk? A well cut pair of jeans with a smart short blazer style jacket , thin cashmere jumper or fitted shirt, and some nice jewellery looks far from yuk on any woman smile

henetha Wed 13-May-20 09:47:49

I'm in my 83rd year and still wear jeans sometimes... and why not?

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 09:35:06

I've never owned a pair of jeans and I'm certainly not likely to now in my 80th year----yuk.