Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Advise on thin hair and nails please!

(31 Posts)
ellie22 Mon 18-May-20 16:10:26

Hi all, new to forum, am 55 and I am finding that my hair is becoming thinner, and my nails even weaker. I am on HRT ..started a month ago or so. Is there anything I can do to strengthen and thicken hair/nails which someone has used and can verify as have wasted money in the past on things which don't seem to make a difference! My hair has never been over thick but now even worse, probably not helped by lack of hairdresser! It is about shoulder length and coloured.

mokryna Mon 02-Nov-20 09:18:04

I have the same problems, although I am a bit older. I have noticed a big improvement in my nails in the last few months since the doctor has upped the vitamin D. (Covid protection).

However, I still have a big problem with hair thinning. I do have a thyroid check every year which seems to be correct. I would eat a few almonds every day but it would mean I would eat a whole packet at once because I have no control, which would lead to a weight increase.

I will look up Biotin and Nourkin which are expensive in France but maybe I can get them on H&B’s special buy one get one .... when I can visit next time.

Shropshirelass Mon 02-Nov-20 09:24:37

Make sure you have plenty of protein as lack of protein can lead to hair loss. I also take marine collagen. Not had a problem with my hair but I have with my nails, also the skin is thin on my hands. I rub Epaderm cream into my hands and it seems to have helped. My nails have definitely improved and strengthened since taking collagen.

Oldbat1 Mon 02-Nov-20 09:26:47

Vitamin D convert here too. I was having wound healing problem and when blood test showed I was very low on Vit D. My wound healed which I was thrilled about after 9months of agony, my hair improved and my nails. Mind you I do have an under active thyroid which affects hair and nails.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Nov-20 09:35:13

I've bought Nourkin; Viviskal (very expensive); various Phillip Kingsley products (ditto); biotin; Regaine; the lot.
Nothing has touched it, except for Vitamin D. Hurray for Vitamin D!grin

lizzajohnson10 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:41:19

ellie22

Hi all, new to forum, am 55 and I am finding that my hair is becoming thinner, and my nails even weaker. I am on HRT ..started a month ago or so. Is there anything I can do to strengthen and thicken hair/nails which someone has used and can verify as have wasted money in the past on things which don't seem to make a difference! My hair has never been over thick but now even worse, probably not helped by lack of hairdresser! It is about shoulder length and coloured.

I know how you feel because I’ve myself faced this issue a few years back. My hair was frighteningly thinning and I didn’t know what to do. It’s not easy, trust me. Most of my days are just pondering upon my hair growth. My doctor said it was due to stress, poor sleep and lifestyle etc. Just get your sleep right, fix up your diet and also you can use Paul Mitchell's scalp care anti thinning tonic which prevents gradual thinning and increase volume & strength.