Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Has anyone tried the "twist & snip" on their fringe?

(76 Posts)
phoenix Fri 29-May-20 13:55:14

Hello all, usual good wishes.

Well, I now have a sort of "helmet" hairstyle (if you can call it a "style") instead of my usual short, pixie type cut.

I can live with it.

But I now have a very long fringe confused

The upside is that it conceals the fact that my eyebrows look like 2 caterpillars on heat.

The downside is that I can actually see it, and I don't mean just in the mirror!

I read somewhere that the way to avoid a wonky fringe is to grab the hair in the area, twist and twist and keep twisting, until you have just a small amount of hair left beneath your fingers, then snip that bit off. (I hope this is making sense!)

So, has anyone tried it, did it work, and would you recommend it?

Thank you!

Gajahgran Fri 29-May-20 18:58:26

I have tried the twist and nip and it does work but you have to sort of nip at it so it's not too even.

I have also tried a Clairol root touch up too. It's supposed to replicate salon colours. My DH helped apply it. It did work.

seacliff Fri 29-May-20 19:25:34

Thanks Annie. A lot of them seem to come from China, so was doubtful about how good they'd be.

First I was just thinking about doing my fringe, then I fancied trying to take some weight out of all my hair. It is so thick and bushy. This video had some good tips. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLbBhEVBzw

Nannyjulesrules Fri 29-May-20 19:31:40

Seacliff I've been trying to find some comfy to hold hair cutting scissors and having the same problem as you. Boots have been out of stock for ages. I already have some old hair scissors but my knuckles have become too knobbly to fit in the finger holds comfortably!

Doodle Fri 29-May-20 19:34:03

seacliff my thinking scissors are due to arrive Sunday. I will let you know how I get on.

seacliff Fri 29-May-20 19:38:46

Thanks Doodle, good luck.

trisher Fri 29-May-20 20:02:55

Doodle "thinking scissors" sound great where can I get some?
I've ben cutting my hair, fringe and all for years. One hairdresser actually gave me a lesson in fringe cutting because she knew I'd do it anyway. It involved sectioning a triangle at the front of your head, but I gave that up ages ago. I just snip bits off until I'm happy with it. Sometimes it's a full fringe sometimes a half one. When it gets longer it gets swept to the side.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 20:05:31

Doodle that's just what I need, thinking scissors!

I can't think what to do with my hair.

MiniMoon Fri 29-May-20 22:24:56

My problem is that my fringe is shaped to one side. Longer on my left than the right. I'd love to trim it, but I dont know how to keep the shape correct.
I put two hairgrips in it yesterday when I was cooking, my husband laughed at it.

SusieFlo Sat 30-May-20 09:26:40

That’s an idea!

SusieFlo Sat 30-May-20 09:27:42

Pinking shears I should have said!

MiniMoon Sat 30-May-20 10:12:06

I did it! The "twist and snip" it worked beautifully. It's not in my eyes any more.

Jane10 Sat 30-May-20 10:15:55

I've done twist and snip a few times now and I'm very pleased with the results. My fringe looks better than when the hairdresser does it. It's a great tip.

timetogo2016 Sat 30-May-20 10:21:50

Iv`e never heard of the twist cut but i do cut my fringe when my hair is wet and it`s fine,no disasters up to now.

Keeper1 Sat 30-May-20 10:50:00

As someone who has never ever cut her own hair or dyed it I tried the comb hair so that you have just the fringe then twist one way and snip then reverse the twist and snip again then do some upward point cutting and if I do say so myself very pleased with the result originally my fringe was longer one side so it went to one side sorry not sure I am explaining well now I have a even length fringe. I then tried a Demi permanent colour and equally pleased with that. I am starting to wonder if I need to keep having highlights and Demi permanent at the hairdressers every six weeks.

Nannan2 Sat 30-May-20 10:54:45

I tried what you describe for the length of my hair,by twisting my ponytail, then snipped the end, to straighten it.That seems ok..maybe you could just give yourself a side parting for now, so you can leave the cut if you don't feel confident. Its not too long now surely, till haidressers & barbers open up?smile

jaylucy Sat 30-May-20 11:17:22

Yes I did and made the mistake of twisting and snipping again so that some of my fringe was wee bit too short! Still, it will grow again.
I tried it before because I have done the squeeze it between 2 fingers, cut and then cut into the ends before and ended up cutting into my finger, while using my very sharp hairdressing scissors!

Juicylucy Sat 30-May-20 11:36:12

I’ve seen loads of people online do it. Google it or you tube it, it will show you how to seperate the parting then do the twist technique. Seems to be working as loads doing it.

knspol Sat 30-May-20 11:38:06

My hairdresser actually told me to use that method Phoenix. Make sure you're left with twisted hair in the middle of face and snip. Gives a nicely shaped fringe and I've used it for years without any problem.

yggdrasil Sat 30-May-20 11:39:26

I just comb the fringe into place, then snip straight across. When the hair dries, it bounces and any mistakes are not so obvious.
It is going to give my hairdresser quite a job when she can come back, as I had a short layered cut that is now a long layered cut reaching to my back

Wishes Sat 30-May-20 12:18:16

I'd never heard of twist and snip until it was mentioned on here some weeks ago. I tried it and was very pleased with the results, much better than when I held it between two fingers and worked my way across.

My daughter used the ponytail method to cut several inches off her hair and ended up with a great bob type style. Her daughter make sure she had the clips/elastic in the right position and tidied any strays afterwards.

icanhandthemback Sat 30-May-20 12:25:44

Yes, it worked for me. It may not be perfect for a hairdresser but it looks much better than a long fringe.

Happiyogi Sat 30-May-20 12:37:12

The procedure sounds like a DIY form of vasectomy! grin

shysal Sat 30-May-20 12:50:57

If anyone is interested in buying scissors, there are lots cutting and thinning ones on Ebay. Many are 'Fast and Free' delivery. I had a choice between my tiny paper cutting ones or giant kitchen ones, so thought I would get the correct tool before I cut my whole head of hair. These are the plain scissors I bought, they are super sharp, and came in a couple of days.
hairdressing scissors

Fronkydonky Sat 30-May-20 12:54:52

Both of my daughters have used clippers and hairdressing scissors to see to their husbands’ hair. Neither are qualified but followed YouTube tutorials and confessed they thought they’d made an exceptional job. After seeing before and after pictures I agree. I would not like them cutting my own short hair though I have to admit. I have just let mine go, it’s very outgrown as it’s overdue two haircuts during lockdown. Nobody sees me except the family I live with so I’m not really bothered. One girl I worked with cut her Own fringe a week into lockdown - well the least said about that, the better☹️

Rosina Sat 30-May-20 13:14:35

Oh Lucca!! Hahahahaha! Thanks - you really made me laugh. x