Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Make-up revival.

(20 Posts)
Trisha57 Mon 08-Jun-20 13:19:21

I've never really worn a lot of makeup (except in my teens, when I wore far too much, according to my mother!). When I was working just a bit of concealer, blusher and mascara. Since I retired just over a year ago, I haven't really bothered much apart from concealer on the dodgy bits. However, last week I realised that my eyebrows have all but disappeared so I ordered some eyebrow stencils and dug out my old Bare Minerals eyebrow powder which I bought but never really used and had a go. This has meant that I've been going through all those make-up buys that I thought I would try but never really used apart from the odd evening out. What a revelation - I'm experimenting with the help of YouTube videos and having a whale of a time. Of course, in lockdown no-one will see my disasters, but hopefully when we're freed from prison I will be able to show a whole new face!! Has anyone else done the same?

Marydoll Mon 08-Jun-20 14:18:03

After thirteen weeks of no make up, this morning I made myself up fully, eyebrows, concealer, green cream to hide the rosacea, the lot!!!.
I needed to renew my Blue Badge, so needed a photo, but as I'm shielding, I had to do it at home.
After loading a photo app and much footering about, DH managed to take one.

I looked ten years younger, with the make up on! I had forgotten how much of a boost it gives me.

Good luck, Trisher

Marydoll Mon 08-Jun-20 14:18:48

Sorry, Trisha!

Trisha57 Mon 08-Jun-20 14:27:15

That's exactly how I felt when I made the effort to try out some make-up techniques that I'd never thought about. Glad it gave you a boost - we could all do with one at the moment!

Smileless2012 Mon 08-Jun-20 14:33:51

I haven't bothered with makeup since the restrictions despite going out food shopping once a week, not that I wear much just mascara, eye liner and a little face powder.

Maybe I should start wearing some again and get some new ideas like you've done Trisha.

Puzzler61 Mon 08-Jun-20 14:43:07

What a treat you gave yourself Marydoll, and good to have a photo for the passport, and to show your diligent work applying the makeup so well. It may not happen for a while if you’re not going out and about!
I don’t wear makeup, it’s a personal choice as I think I suit without. I get hot flushes from taking oestrogen and that’s enough colour for me. But I wouldn’t be without concealer cream for under my eyes. So that’s where those shopping bags went. Eek!

PinkCakes Mon 08-Jun-20 15:20:24

I've always worn a full face of make-up when I go anywhere (even to the shop). The only day I don't bother is Saturday, when I've not got work (and no social activities at the moment, of course).

Marydoll I have got Rosacea, so I always look red on my cheeks, nose and chin. I now use Revlon's Colour Stay foundation, which gives good coverage and stays looking nice all day.

grandMattie Mon 08-Jun-20 15:28:52

I’ve never worn much makeup - lippy and on occasion eyeshadow. This is partly because DH hates it and, more importantly, I seem to be allergic to most make up especially the eye stuff. Can’t say I miss it , none of my children have suggested I should wear any, and everyone knows that one’s children are the most critical
PS I am absolutely no beauty, just average...

Puzzler61 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:46:24

My mum had a lot of sayings grandMattie and one was: “the most attractive thing you can put on your face is a smile”.
I agree, that and some good face cream. ?

Marydoll Mon 08-Jun-20 15:51:21

Oh dear, I wrote a post and heaven knows where it went!

PinkCakes, I use green colour correcting creme under my foundation to try and hide the rosacea, mostly bought in holiday in Rome, where it seems to be cheaper.
Because I've not been wearing make up during shielding, I still have a stash.

Grandmattie, I too am allergic to most make up, but find that Bare Minerals is perfect, with clinique mascara. (I have blonde lashes).

I hate getting my photo taken, but I have to say, the make up with the help of the app did wonders at softening everything! grin

Trisha57 Mon 08-Jun-20 16:24:31

Grandmattie, the only face make-up I can use (when I use it) is also BareMinerals, like Marydoll. The original foundation mineral powder really feels like nothing on the skin. I can't wear any other foundation, it always feels like I have a skin coloured face pack on, even the very lightest weight ones. Their mascara is also very good, High Impact, and doesn't make my eyes water. This afternoon I'm going to try upper lid eye liner, something I never quite got the hang of. I've seen a great tutorial on YouTube which involves using a Credit Card or the like to get the "flick" right!

chicsbeautycare Mon 08-Jun-20 18:10:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawB Mon 08-Jun-20 18:37:38

Reported chics etc

I can’t believe that with face masks, sales of make up will not simply plummet.
Especially if you wear glasses - not much on show!

PinkCakes Mon 08-Jun-20 18:41:44

Marydoll I tried the green colour corrective stuff, but it made my skin look grey under the foundation. I've bought so many different types of foundation - various makes - but this Revlon one is the best. I put it on with a proper cosmetic sponge, and it lasts all day.

Trisha57 Mon 08-Jun-20 19:12:52

MawB, that's why I've started with my eyebrows! Even with my overgrown fringe the wind sometimes blows and my patchy eyebrows are on full show despite mask and glasses...........grin

Fennel Mon 08-Jun-20 20:34:28

MawB you're right - it has to be emphasis on eyes.
I used to use eyeliner mascara and even false lashes. but now it's a problem just to keep eyebrows tidy.

PinkCakes Mon 08-Jun-20 21:11:40

I wish I HAD some eyebrows! Years of plucking them when I was young has left me with none (a few grey hairs)so I have to pencil them on each day. My GDs find it amusing that I haven't got any.

Dollymc2 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:19:52

Pink, I had mine microbladed
Best thing

annodomini Mon 08-Jun-20 22:22:32

My eyebrows are getting quite bushy and some of the hairs are now white. I am more and more like my dad was. When the salons open again, I will be making an eyebrow appointment. The complication is that as a result of a fall, the end of my left eyebrow was gashed and stitched, so the hairs there haven't grown.

V3ra Mon 08-Jun-20 22:43:58

Dollymc2 another vote from me for microblading eyebrows.
I had mine done three years ago and it's the best treat to myself I ever invested in.