Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

No {sham}poo. Has any one else tried it?

(42 Posts)
Daisyanswerdo Mon 15-Jun-20 17:40:37

There was a very short thread 4 years ago about not washing your hair. I'm now in the 4th week of not washing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this. It's fine when it's dry and looking quite good, but when it's wet it's horrid! I'm going to give it 6 weeks.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jun-20 06:41:33

I personally feel dirty if I don’t wash my hair and my body each day I don’t understand how anyone would want to go a month sorry daisy I know it can be done but I can see why you would want to ..... I have smelt unwashed hair

if your hair doesn’t need washing for a month why does your body ?

Sparkling Tue 16-Jun-20 06:57:40

I wash mine once a week but run it thoroughly under the shower in between times. I couldn't bear the thought or smell of dirty hair. The rare time when it's gone over a week, the greatest joy is getting clean under the shower. I do feel this obsession of showering once or twice a day is not good for your skin, taking the natural oils out. Can I ask why you would want to not wash it for 6 weeks, it must smell by now.

boheminan Tue 16-Jun-20 07:50:08

Daisyanswerdo. I admire you for trying this ecologically sound experiment. As a child in the 50's all members of my family bathed and hair washed once a week. My mum was known for her beautiful shiny locks and my hair was in good condition. I now wash my hair every 3 days (coming down from every day) and it does feel in better condition than previously. There are hair sprays now that act as hair perfumes (Lush does a great one). I'd be interested to hear in a couple of weeks how you get along smile

Daisyanswerdo Tue 16-Jun-20 16:59:55

Sparkling I'm sure it doesn't smell unpleasant. I can test this mostly by rubbing my fingers over my scalp and through my hair. It seems that many people's hair has benefited by not being washed for at least 6 weeks. Boheminan I'll report back at the end of the 6 weeks!
I shower twice a week. I can't see the necessity of showering every day under normal circumstances. Details of my everyday washing routine available on request!

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jun-20 17:22:43

I shower every day because it makes me feel fresh and bright and starts my day not because I m dirty It certainly hasn’t spoiled my skin which is pretty good for my age I never use any creams or potions on my skin it’s nice and pliable maybe
I m just lucky my Dad has a lovely skin with barely any wrinkles at 92 everyone thought he was in his 70 s

If you are happy with your hair after 6 weeks Daisy is that what you will always do or will you just keep going until it feels not good to you

BBbevan Tue 16-Jun-20 17:38:51

Gosh! I remember the original thread. Have I been on here that long?
At one stage in his teens my DS had dreadlocks. He didn’t wash his hair. It looked reasonable and didn’t smell

Madgran77 Tue 16-Jun-20 19:26:57

I have seen several articles on this over the years. And Susannah Constatntine recently did an article on her
"lockdown hair experiment"

The link is below
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8341177/Why-stopped-washing-hair-never-looked-better.html

Greeneyedgirl Tue 16-Jun-20 21:40:25

I tried not washing hair when I was young for a while, but soon got fed up as it looked lank, it's very straight.

Logically hair condition is dependant on hair follicles under skin, as hair seen on the head is dead. General health, diet, aging, and genes probably have the most influence on hair condition.

Washing hair just removes dirt, and conditioner coats the hair with an oil/waxy substance, but intrinsically doesn't alter the hair itself.

Not washing may make scalp feel better if inclined to be dry, but conversely can be uncomfortable if greasy. If oil not removed from scalp regularly perhaps it makes the hair slightly more oily/glossy looking?

Daisyanswerdo Sat 04-Jul-20 14:39:03

Reporting back after six weeks: I washed my hair yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks, using a shampoo bar from Lush. My hair's been looking good, easy to style and not 'shampoo-shiny' but with the gloss you see on a healthy dog or horse! I think I'll continue to wash it, but less frequently and using a very mild shampoo - more research needed here. It's all been perfectly possible except for when it's wet. It felt horribly 'claggy' then and I had to resist putting a hand out for the shampoo bottle. When dry, it felt soft, never itchy and no dandruff.

PinkCakes Sat 04-Jul-20 16:03:47

Why would anyone not wash their hair? With sweat, cooking smells, pollution, I think it's important to keep hair clean, which I don't believe can be achieved with water alone. I wash mine every morning, and on the odd occasion I leave it for a day, it feels horrible.

Madgran77 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:08:54

Reporting back after six weeks: I washed my hair yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks, using a shampoo bar from Lush. My hair's been looking good, easy to style and not 'shampoo-shiny' but with the gloss you see on a healthy dog or horse! I think I'll continue to wash it, but less frequently and using a very mild shampoo - more research needed here. It's all been perfectly possible except for when it's wet. It felt horribly 'claggy' then and I had to resist putting a hand out for the shampoo bottle. When dry, it felt soft, never itchy and no dandruff.

Interesting Daisy. Why have you decided to wash your hair less frequently rather than just carry on using just water?

Tangerine Sat 04-Jul-20 19:20:05

I wash my hair every other day. Occasionally, I do it two days running but, if I do it too often, it gets flyaway and doesn't look good.

Tangerine Sat 04-Jul-20 19:20:23

Much depends on your hair type.

FarNorth Sat 04-Jul-20 19:47:32

I used only water to wash my hair for a long time, probably a couple of years.
It definitely didn't smell.
When I started using shampoo or shower gel again, tho, it felt softer and looked less 'tufty' (it's short).

Cabbie21 Sat 04-Jul-20 20:00:53

When I worked I washed my hair every day. Since I retired I wash it most days, but missed now and then. Since lockdown I am washing it less often. at first partly to try to keep the colour, now just because I have got lazy I guess. It doesn’t seem to make any difference. It is not greasy or smelly. It is like not wearing make up. Nobody is going to see me.

Babyshark Sat 04-Jul-20 20:14:49

I have found a balance of being able to go at least 7-8 days between washes and only shampoo with no parabens or sulphates. I condition with no silicone. I don’t buy expense, have just managed to find high street products. My hair has never been so healthy or manageable and it was very hard to manage. Only greasey looking days is perhaps the last day but if I’m doing minimal styling I have been able to stretch it to 10 days without it looking oily.