Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

No sting sunscreen

(11 Posts)
shysal Wed 24-Jun-20 13:25:20

I put on sunscreen every morning as a routine in the sunny weather, but have yet to find one that doesn't sting my eyes when I sweat. I have read that a zinc oxide one could work but can't find one with good reviews available in the UK. Would children's products work?
Any recommendations would be appreciated please.

Dee1012 Wed 24-Jun-20 13:31:00

I use the Ambre Solaire Sensitive Anti Ageing Face Sun Cream SPF50+, I can't vouch for the anti ageing wink but it doesn't sting and is very reasonable - about £7.

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Jun-20 13:48:59

I’ve been using an spf50 cream recommended by the Dermatologist when I had hospital treatment for sun damage on my face.
However I notice the first 3 reviews on Amazon are very negative.
It is : ‘ALTRUIST’, it’s fragrance free, can use it for face or body. 2 x 100ml tubes of cream for £8 On Amazon.

DiscoGran Wed 24-Jun-20 14:59:59

I always use Uvistat, as recommend by a doctor. It doesn't sting and is suitable for sensitive skin.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jun-20 15:09:13

Clarins for your face sensitive, factor 50 I use as I had skin cancer last year and am very fair and freckled so very high risk.

But tbh I would imagine that the chemicals needed for sun screening will always Sting if they get into your eyes.

shysal Thu 25-Jun-20 09:46:35

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Illte Thu 25-Jun-20 10:26:45

I smear a line of vaseline under my eyebrows and down the side of my eyes. It stops the sweaty sunscreen running in and stinging

EllanVannin Thu 25-Jun-20 11:39:28

I'm another who's prone to skin cancer---even in places where the sun doesn't enter ! I have at present, 3 which need removing but what with the virus/hospital and fiddly adjustments of the warfarin, is it any wonder I've put it off ?

At the moment I've got baby oil on my skin ( chemical-free ) so have to be extra careful about burning.

Nanna58 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:16:00

I use a powder sunscreen, you just swirl it on with its brush, doesn’t run. Might help!

cornergran Thu 25-Jun-20 12:18:54

Ultrasun here. No reports of stinging.

morethan2 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:27:07

I often get stinging from even the best sunscreens. This tip works for me after applying I wipe my eyebrows with a damp cotton bud or cotton wool. I think what can happen is it’s rubbed into your eyebrows then you sweat a little and so the sunscreen rolls down and gets in your eyes. Hope it helps