Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

No more hair colour

(122 Posts)
maydonoz Fri 03-Jul-20 17:06:58

Tomorrow I have a hair appointment but for the first time I will just have a trim, I have decided to embrace the greys and not have my roots done again. I have threatened to do this before but have laterchangedmy in d, however this time I'm decisive.
I wondered if anyone else has made the same decision during lockdown.

cheekychops61 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:26:42

I too have decided to embrace the grey I think. I've already spoken to my hairdresser who has agreed to cut my hair first and I can make the decision then. I will still have the option to colour it if I want to.

Nannapat1 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:34:22

My natural hair colour is dark brown and I have limited grey. If I was either properly grey or blonde/grey, I'd go with it but I'll be in the hairdressers having roots done and 3 month's growth cut off next Friday

JadeOlivia Sat 04-Jul-20 09:34:44

What is that most popular colour ?

HiPpyChick57 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:39:00

I’m taking the plunge. I have about an inch of dark roots at the moment. I’m curious to see just how much grey I have. I’m 63 and don’t seem to have a lot of grey but neither did my dm at the same age so I’m blessed with good genes. I’m resisting doing my roots as I have very light blonde box colour here.
When it grows out completely I’m going to start putting bright shades on such as pillar box red or bright orange which shouldn’t show too much on the darker areas but will be picked up in the grey bits causing an interesting effect............ I hope ?

patnic Sat 04-Jul-20 09:41:42

I've never coloured my hair and so the gradual going grey never bothered me. I lost all my hair due to chemotherapy 20 years ago so was so glad when it started to grow back wasn't concerned about the colour. When I look in the mirror I don't even see grey!

Esmerelda Sat 04-Jul-20 09:44:40

Have had snow white hair for years as I started going grey in my teens (mediterranean colouring inherited from my mum). I coloured my hair until mid-thirties then stopped and it looks great ... get lots of compliments.
Mind you I did dye it bright pink a few years ago to raise money for breast cancer charity. Got lots of compliments then too!

Millie22 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:12:35

No not for me. I have a friend who's embracing her natural colour and she suddenly looks much older. It's that in-between time that's the difficult bit. I'm also waiting for a few weeks before booking a hair appointment. Today they are open
from 8 until 8 tonight with a long list of new rules to follow when you go there. All necessary of course but it's not going to be like it was and no talking.

leeds22 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:12:47

I have discovered my hair is a mousy grey colour! Having a good trim next week and if it looks awful when a lot of the blonde is chopped off I will probably go back to highlights.

Aepgirl Sat 04-Jul-20 10:14:04

Yes, I stopped having my hair coloureds a year or so ago - best decision ever, as your skin colour changes just as your hair does, and false colour can look horrid.

Also, although I have a hair appointment on Monday. I’ve decided I like my hair a little longer, so I am just having a tidy-up trim.

timetogo2016 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:15:16

I`m with you maydonos.

Teetime Sat 04-Jul-20 10:18:28

Grey/white hair does look fabulous on some people but not me. I look ill and washed out plus my hair is very curly and thick so I look like a startled floor mop at the moment. Cant wait for my cut and colour on 14th and every four weeks thereafter.

Craftycat Sat 04-Jul-20 10:24:47

I don't know what my natural colour is anymore. I may have grey hair but I just keep up with the highlights.
Seeing my hairdresser next week Yay!!
I did put a colour on it myself a few weeks ago but I can't wait to get highlights done again

Patticake123 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:25:59

I went grey around ten years ago when I retired, my hair is definitely better for it and with a trendy cut I reckon it looks okay and suits my skin tone. What does surprise me is the thought that the women of my age who continue to colour, actually believe they look any younger. They just look like their age but with coloured hair!

dragonfly46 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:28:03

My hairdresser recommended that I revert to the natural colour. It is now all shades of grey and would cost a fortune to have done artificially. As Ann says it suits my skin colour better.

seacliff Sat 04-Jul-20 10:38:08

I was quite glad to have this unusual opportunity to see me with grey hair.

Unlike many people, it looked flippin awful! My hair was a warm darkish brown with gold in. After 3 months it looked really faded beige and the grey just did not seem to go with my skin tone.

Looking at myself was making me depressed. So a couple of weeks ago I did my usual Wella Color Touch, a professional colour I buy at wholesalers. I know I am not fooling anyone, but it makes me feel better.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:41:02

I allowed myself to go grey two years ago, my body wasn't keeping up with my youthful hair so I thought 'what the heck', I've saved a lot of money, too!

TrendyNannie6 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:47:14

No I’m carrying on with the colour, I did consider leaving the grey but the more time went on I thought I can’t do this, I need colour in my life. I didn’t want to look older, which I know I would with grey hair, so I’m sticking with my brunette

travelsafar Sat 04-Jul-20 10:55:00

I have never coloured my hair. When i mentioned i was thinking of it to my haidresser he promptly told me No!!!! Your hair is fine as it is. I do receive comments on my streaks and people are surprised when i say they are natural not put in at the hairdresser. It will be interesting when i go Tuesday to get it cut how it looks. I understand there will be no blow drying so i will have a dry trim, my fringe, my layers and the length. Probably about 2 to 3 inches of the length. Personally i can't wait to go grey or even better snowy white, love those colours. As others have said it then matches your skin tone as you age. smile

Rumpunch Sat 04-Jul-20 10:58:57

I have been saying for over a year that I am going to stop having my hair coloured and see how how grey I now am. Each time I cowarded out and had the colour put back in.
Lockdown has stopped me doing this and so yes it has prompted me to go grey. Much to my surprise I am not so grey after all and what I do have is nicely spread out over my whole head. I am sticking with it for now, and financially it will be a real bonus!

GrammarGrandma Sat 04-Jul-20 11:01:06

I have an appointment on 28th July and can't wait! I've been told to stop using the Magic Retouch spray until then so I will look like a really old grey granny for weeks. If I'd gone pure white, like my mum, I'd embrace it but not this horrible pepper and salt.

Theoddbird Sat 04-Jul-20 11:03:56

I did it 3 years ago. Love, love love it. I put metallic silver dye on it as natural colour is white to pale grey. It has never made me look older.

tw1nkle Sat 04-Jul-20 11:11:46

Depends on your colour. My uncoloured hair is a harsh steely, Brillo pad grey which is very ageing. A pretty silver or white would be flattering. So I’m keeping the colour. x

mokryna Sat 04-Jul-20 11:14:13

Mine is only grey at the front of my hairline, further back it seems to have gone darker and thinner. I was very pleased to have the blond streaks put in, it lightens up my skin. Lucky you if your whole head of hair goes the same colour at the roots at the same time.

janeainsworth Sat 04-Jul-20 11:18:00

GrammarGrandma I do like your username.
But you do realise, I hope, that you’ve left yourself open to having your posts scrutinised for frontal adverbials, split infinitives, Oxford commas, and the like.
There are some sharp-eyed pedants on Gransnet who don’t hold back grin

Jillybird Sat 04-Jul-20 11:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.