Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A wardrobe challenge! ?

(24 Posts)
AviaParva Mon 20-Jul-20 19:28:29

I’ve been a lurker (sorry!) and very occasional poster, but now need your advice! Please!

I have been retired for 10 years now, and very quickly morphed from a smartly dressed working person into a jeans, t-shirt and hoody dog owner and muddy-place walker and active gran!

I need and want to smarten myself up, whilst still enjoying a casual lifestyle!

I’m 71 eek! Still don’t equate that with me! 5’2 and size 16. I’d like to be my previous 12-14 (8-10 once!) but I’ve low carbed for so long that my body tells me it’s reached my likely minimum weight! And that I’ll never again be a size 14 let alone a 10-12.

I’m on a very moderate pension and I’m a bit of a parsimonious person, though I’d spend a bit for durability!

So, dear people, what advice can you offer? With thanks in anticipation!

Chardy Mon 20-Jul-20 20:09:45

Black jeans, variety of tops from smart to casual, smart jacket?

Liaise Mon 20-Jul-20 20:42:01

Selection of scarves. Good shoes.

Sparklefizz Mon 20-Jul-20 21:31:03

Black jeans, ankle boots, leather/suede jacket.

FlyingHandbag Mon 20-Jul-20 21:47:03

You need: well-cut jeans - preferable straight leg- some t-shirts, black, white and a few bright colours and a black handbag. A denim or leather jacket is always good, and a brightly coloured scarf always brightens up a plain outfit.
A Little Black Dress is an essential for formal events, and you should always have a pair of heels just in case (they don't have to be high, a kitten heel or low block heel would do).
Suede ankle boots are lovely in Autumn too. You should get some vest tops too, for summer.
I hope this has helped. X

FlyingHandbag Mon 20-Jul-20 21:48:55

That should read preferably straight leg. X

Nortsat Tue 21-Jul-20 18:37:29

I think coordinating 2 or three key colours in separates, means that things will always go together and then can be dressed up for the evening or down for around the house.

I stick to black, grey and cream, then add colour with a few nice prints and accessories. I wear mostly trousers and jackets, leggings and tops. I choose shoes in the same colour palette, so things will always work together.

I like Jaeger, Hobbs, LK Bennett and John Lewis but I always shop in the sales, never at full price.

MellowYellow Tue 21-Jul-20 19:12:18

I'd start by looking through magazines or online at women of your age (or younger!) and find a few looks that you really like and go from there. I have only the state pension so don't have much extra money but I buy good quality makes in the sales if I can. I particularly like Seasalt clothes.

Spangler Tue 21-Jul-20 19:22:59

AviaParva if you are handy with a needle and thread you can work wonders with charity shop clothes, given your limited pension.
My wife has done much for both of us, it takes a little creativity, but that's part of the fun.

Casdon Tue 21-Jul-20 19:24:47

Have you tried looking on Pinterest, there are lots of capsule wardrobe ideas on there for all shapes and ages? The only other thing I’d say is look at the colour and shape of your jeans, they can look smart if you make the right choices, and if you have a dog, they are so much more practical than smart trousers, as the hairs don’t stick!

Deedaa Tue 21-Jul-20 19:38:36

A good jacket will smarten a whole look. M&S tailoring used to be very good but, like all their clothes, isn't as good as it was. I always wait for the sales and charity shops turn up some great bargains sometimes. TK Maxx can be good. I found a lovely Nicole Farhi light winter coat there for a fraction of the original price. A well cut jacket really lifts a plain jumper or T shirt .

AviaParva Fri 24-Jul-20 11:27:29

Thanks, everyone, for your good ideas! I really appreciate your time and helpfulness.
I always find a problem with trousers - I can’t find any that don’t look old-fogey-ish! Been wearing skinny jeans and ankle boots for so long .....so any brands/styles I could look out for would help too! Thanks!

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 12:24:12

I’ve had a couple of pairs from Monsoon, navy or black. Mint velvet sometimes, but pricey.

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 12:25:25

Come to think of it my very smart but quirkily dressed sister in law gets good trousers fromH and M

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 12:26:59

www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0783346017.html?pr_oyster=hnsqtsp6AA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqoXn3ePl6gIVwu3tCh3RsQkGEAQYBCABEgLVFPD_BwE

GrandmaMoira Fri 24-Jul-20 14:53:19

I wear the M&S skinny jeans and they have a range of colours. I also buy from Sainsbury's Tu. I am a similar size to you but with skinny legs so skinny jeans are best for me. I wear longish loose jumpers or t-shirts on top.
I also like tunic tops with leggings. In summer dresses are good. White Stuff and Seasalt are good for tops and dresses. You can buy them cheaper on Ebay.
I also find that since I have gone grey, my skin tone has lightened and I can no longer wear the stronger colours I used to like so it's a good idea to check what colours suit best.

Susie42 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:32:21

I bought some jeans from Bon Marche which have been a better fit than some more expensive jeans. TK Maxx aren't bad for stuff if you're prepared to go through rails of tat to find any good stuff as I bought a Jaeger top for a third of the original price.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Jul-20 16:00:45

Some ideas here on how to build a capsule wardrobe @AviaParva

AviaParva Fri 24-Jul-20 19:37:57

Lucca

I’ve had a couple of pairs from Monsoon, navy or black. Mint velvet sometimes, but pricey.

I love Monsoon! Appeals to my former hippy self ?
But like most brands they assume much longer legs than my 5’2 frame!

AviaParva Fri 24-Jul-20 19:40:33

Lucca

Come to think of it my very smart but quirkily dressed sister in law gets good trousers fromH and M

Again, thank you Lucia , but by the time I alter these I’ll have flares ?
Trouser manufacturers don’t seem to cater for those of us who are of short stature!

AviaParva Fri 24-Jul-20 19:46:48

Lucca not Lucia sorry! Predictive text !

AviaParva Fri 24-Jul-20 19:56:04

GrandmaMoira

I wear the M&S skinny jeans and they have a range of colours. I also buy from Sainsbury's Tu. I am a similar size to you but with skinny legs so skinny jeans are best for me. I wear longish loose jumpers or t-shirts on top.
I also like tunic tops with leggings. In summer dresses are good. White Stuff and Seasalt are good for tops and dresses. You can buy them cheaper on Ebay.
I also find that since I have gone grey, my skin tone has lightened and I can no longer wear the stronger colours I used to like so it's a good idea to check what colours suit best.

Thanks again! I live in m&s skinny jeans! That’s my problem!!
I find the TU ones a bad fit for me.
And yes, I like White Stuff too, and Joules, and PhaseEight, and Crew ......
and yes, like you, I know what colours suit me . Black has always been a no-no for me, except for jeans and boots. I had my colours done years ago ....I think I stil know what colours suit me,but might be fun to have it done again !

AviaParva Fri 24-Jul-20 19:57:00

LaraGransnet

Some ideas here on how to build a capsule wardrobe @AviaParva

Thanks! And I like the how to dress over50 too!

Coolgran65 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:17:44

TKMaxx...I got a fabulous long grey Jaeger coat for £39. Fine wool, single breasted and it looks good when I'm dressed up or alternatively with Jeans.
I find buying ankle grazers stops trousers looking mumsy. And with full length summer trousers i roll up a cuff to make them 7/8 length.
I have one leg that has a lot of spider veins so can't do dresses well. But recently have bought knee length linen or Jersey shift dresses and worn them with leggings.
Scarves are brilliant thrown on casually.
I have one pair of black tapered 7/8 trousers that are useful for dressing up. And for funerals with my long charcoal Jaeger £39 coat.