Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Will never wear a normal bra again!

(109 Posts)
Chrisks Sun 09-Aug-20 11:29:41

My daughter told me about crop tops from Primark or even crop tops from anywhere! Gosh, I’ve had some uncomfortable bras in the past, wires digging in and straps constantly falling down. Just wondered if anyone else has found how wonderful they are!

Esspee Sat 10-Oct-20 15:56:54

Like you Hetty I gave up bras some time ago, half a century to be precise.
You are right about support not being needed but are you sure sagging is inevitable?
I’m in my 70s now, when should I expect them to go saggy?

Jacdaws Sat 10-Oct-20 15:45:54

I have big boobs and always wear underwire bras from m&s, but since lockdown have been wearing there sports bras, without underwire... not as supportive, but very comfy ?

Hetty58 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:36:52

I gave up wearing bras decades ago. It's a myth that 'support' is needed - we all end up saggy anyway!

I just wear a cotton vest top instead. I'm by no means flat chested, but, if anyone dislikes how I look, that's their problem!

sparklingsilver28 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:12:42

Cannot bear underwired (suffer with heart failure) and any thing restrictive hurts and makes me breathless. Found Miss Mary of Sweden cotton lace, joy oh joy, put on an extender and comfortable all day long.

welbeck Thu 24-Sep-20 20:29:10

Lulubelle500

Do they give you any shape at all 'though? I burned my back badly last year and the new skin there is very thin. Bras cut quite painfully. Tried a pull on bra and felt like Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz!

what about those stick on ones that look like rabbit ears.
www.google.com/search?q=rabbit+ears+bra&rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB557GB888&oq=rabbit+ears+bra&aqs=chrome..69i57.6275j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE_fT6_99BY

this latter is a link to a woman who reviews bras esp for DD+ , inc a favourable review of the rabbit ears, and she is a E size, and not sponsored/paid by makers.

M0nica Thu 24-Sep-20 17:22:18

I have never understood this uncomfortable bras business. On the rare occasions a bra has proved uncomfortable, I have just chucked it out.

I do not wear any particular type of bra. I have to check before I can answer the question of whether it is underwired or not. The one thing I draw the line at are those awful moulded/padded ones that make it look as if you are auditioning to be a Valkyrie in a Wagner opera.

I have been fitted once, when I was 17, and have just gone up and down in cup size and girth as my shape varied and I am currently back where I started.

felice Thu 24-Sep-20 15:20:57

I once went for a fitting to a very expensive bra place.
I had the previous year had open heart surgery so had and still have scar tissue also my breast bone was still loose and held together by large metal clips. it never properly bonds.
The woman insisted on really tight along the bottom and did not care when I said NO underwired.
I ended up tearing a bra off and throwing it at her as I stormed out of the shop braless.
I did put my top on.
Trained,,,,,my rear end !!!!!!

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 15:09:20

I’m 5ft 1ins with FFs, crop tops aren’t supportive enough for me. When I look for new bras I look for the ones described as ‘with side support’, they used to be hard to find but a lot more manufacturers do them now. They don’t squash Left and Righty into the dreaded monooboob and I find them very comfortable. Pour Moi, Fantasie and Freya all have them.

Chrisks Thu 24-Sep-20 14:56:35

Ha....I’ve learnt something from this thread. I now step into it rather than struggle overhead! Thank you!

MellowYellow Sat 15-Aug-20 21:53:53

I've looked all over for these tops, was prepared to spend a decent amount on them because I want a change from bras, and have ended up with a collection of brightly coloured ones from P*****k, which was the last place I tried. They're like a second skin.

BelindaB Thu 13-Aug-20 14:36:40

I've used them for years but only under very loose clothing! Otherwise, keep them for indoors and on the allotment, where a "normal" bra can cause a lot of chaffing and discomfort.

MayBee70 Tue 11-Aug-20 22:14:01

Years ago I bought a Genie bra from Boots and have worn similar bras ever since. Annoyingly I can’t find the original Genie bra anywhere but I’ve bought similar ones from Asda and I see that Avon are now selling one. I also have a couple of the Sloggi ones, too. I do, however, get unbearably hot wearing a bra of any kind in this weather so it’s a good job I’m not actually going anywhere these days.

TwinLolly Tue 11-Aug-20 21:22:38

Helennonotion I saw a similar article about it around about 5 or 6 years ao, and also a t.v. programme or documentary about the problems of wired bras.

So I ditched my bra. It took a while to get used to but now I'm more comfortable without one. Forget about what size my coconuts are, they have been set FREE! ?

Daisyboots Tue 11-Aug-20 11:38:21

Now I have found out that you step into the crop top then pull them up your body I think they are wonderful . Before I was putting them on over my head and having to ask my DH to pull the back down for me. They are so comfortable as I have cancer in my spine and normal bras are not at all comfortable to wear. I have crop tops from Asda, Sainsburys and from America but have found the Sainsbury ones to have the most support. I am a 40D in my good boob but only a B/C in my bad one but the difference is not so apparent in a crop top as it is in a normal bra.

DillytheGardener Tue 11-Aug-20 00:37:16

jaxci, try Calvin Klein, TK max often sells them for cheap. They do small chests well according to my friend, I buy their size large underwireless crop top bras and they are comfy for me too!

JuneRose Mon 10-Aug-20 22:13:09

No good for my h cup bazookas ? sadly only proper upholstery will do

Tedd1 Mon 10-Aug-20 22:09:33

I converted to crop top bras three months ago. I bought the’Anya’ top from John Lewis costing £14 then found one exactly the same on eBay for £5. Cotton traders also sell them. I find them quite supportive. I’m a 34c

Helennonotion Mon 10-Aug-20 21:01:40

tiphero.com/benefits-of-not-wearing-a-bra#:~:text=Improve%20Your%20Breast%20Shape,cause%20your%20breasts%20to%20sag.&text=According%20to%20the%20study%2C%20the,them%20do%20their%20own%20thing!

Interesting article showing the benefits of NOT wearing a bra! I cannot endorse any of the information, but I can say that I go braless at every opportunity and breast fed 2 children for a total of 5 years. I'm 61 now and still reasonably perky. I think its more to do with genes perhaps?

Lindaylou55 Mon 10-Aug-20 20:47:45

I have been wearing this type of 'bra' for years. I got shingles right along my back where I fastened my bra, it was agony for weeks. Asda do good ones as well as Matalan. Don't see my going back to wired bras any time.

Jaxie Mon 10-Aug-20 19:34:40

I’m 38A and it’s a nightmare to find cups small enough. Do you know the nursery rhyme “ The cow with the crumpled horn”? That’s me.

diygran Mon 10-Aug-20 18:54:17

Re. previous post on wired bras and cancer risk. As said this advice was given ages ago, 20 years plus, by school social science teacher or similar. Daughter followed advice as did I. We have family who had breast cancer and masectomy early in their life so we were glad to take all the advice available at that time.

Fennel Mon 10-Aug-20 18:21:40

I loved that GrannyBeek grin.
My problem now, as a very old Granny, is how to fasten my bra when I get dressed in the morning?
Sometimes it takes me a few minutes.
Then I ask myself - what's the point?
Last measurement at local John Lewis was 34DD.
But I'm not going to flash them on the internet , so why wear one?

Caro57 Mon 10-Aug-20 18:11:58

I need good support which a crop top would not do. Would love to get some Shapeez but I can only find them in US and they are about £90 so am saving up! I found some comfortable crop top type that pull on then have front cross under straps that hook at the sides, give a nice line at the back but not enough support and too cut away at the sides to be worn ‘in public’ with my shape

GrannyBeek Mon 10-Aug-20 18:04:09

This is for all of us who whip off our bras as soon as we get through the front door. m.youtube.com/watch?v=Npv2QZ8eWLk

GreenGran78 Mon 10-Aug-20 17:08:55

I haven’t worn underwired bras for years. I must be an odd shape because they always dig into my armpits. Like NotTooOld I find that being measured doesn’t help. The croptops are comfortable, but not if they are synthetic fibres. Cotton is much less sweaty. I bought some nice cotton soft-comfort bras in Sainsbury’s recently. More supportive than the croptops, and very comfortable.
Most of my wardrobe is cotton. My late DH used to laugh at the way I dashed to change as soon as I arrived home, if I was wearing anything synthetic. Comfort every time, for me.