Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Missing John Lewis beauty counters....

(28 Posts)
Shirleyw Mon 28-Sep-20 06:01:31

......I used to love going around them when I fancied a new tinted moisturiser etc, I liked the advice and they helped which tone/colour was best for me and also putting it on me to try...I'm not much good at deciding the colours on line so they are missed greatly....I haven't been to a John Lewis or any other big department store since lockdown, don't fancy going there now....its took all the pleasure out of retail shopping....are you the same?

Missiseff Mon 28-Sep-20 20:21:16

Went to mine last week, still the same experience

Candelle Mon 28-Sep-20 18:53:07

I love make-up but the beauty counters in large department stores terrify me and I usually (unless seeking a new foundation etc.) rush past, head down, hoping I won't catch the eye of a saleswoman, er sorry, beauty counter personnel.

My nearest JL has recently been closed. I am sad as it was such an easy journey for me and I have held an account there for a very long time, however the standard of service deteriorated so much that I began to look elsewhere. On my last visit, I picked up three items and none were priced. There is never an assistant wandering around to ask and I didn't have time to search for help or queue up at the till for prices so left everything. More sales lost. This was not the JL of old...

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 18:03:42

They're open now!

Shirleyw Mon 28-Sep-20 17:54:14

Thanks for the replies guys, .....probably well into next year before the make up departments re.open.....seems i shall just have to order on-line the same stuff as i have now....happy days.

Quizzer Mon 28-Sep-20 17:35:17

I wear a reasonable amount of makeup but never wanted to look like the painted dolls on the cosmetic counters, so wouldn't take their advice!!

4allweknow Mon 28-Sep-20 13:34:00

Not missing JL but yes Harvey Nics. Love the pampering when looking for a new bit of makeup.

Oopsminty Mon 28-Sep-20 13:32:31

I always scamper past those make up counters.

The heavily made up women used to petrify me

SueDonim Mon 28-Sep-20 13:30:18

I wanted some new eyeshadow last week and went to Boots. Most of the displays are gone altogether and I had to tell the assistant what colours I wanted and she got the palettes out the drawer and showed them to me.

It was very stark, even though they were helpful, and of course you feel obliged to buy something!

JaneRn Mon 28-Sep-20 13:15:39

I don't have a JL store nearby but have used the one at Cribbs Causeway and also at Cheltenham. We have only a Debenhams which is such a depressing store I never go in except to use the loos which are clean and well cared for! I still buy from JL on line wherever possible, but what I really miss in their stores are the huge dress fabric departments, especially in the Oxford Street one. They are still good for curtain fabrics, however.

I have used only Clinique for many years and know their products well so am quite happy to buy from their website which sometimes has special offers - but there is nowhere like John Lewis.

grannybuy Mon 28-Sep-20 12:57:31

My first experience of John Lewis was in a day trip to Edinburgh in 1973. My mother and I were quite enthralled with it. I remember how the range of colours in the towel display impressed us, and we both bought one. I could only afford a guest towel. I still have it. My mother was more interested in the make up counters than I was. It is, however, where I buy my Clinique Aromatics perfume and body lotion. I also have bought my latest TV, washing machine and tumble dryer there.

Sueki44 Mon 28-Sep-20 12:55:41

I’ve got to say that I bought both of my iPads at JL and the young men couldn’t have been more charming and helpful!

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 12:14:40

OK but it’s not the end of the world....yet.

Lupin Mon 28-Sep-20 11:26:57

I had a facial done at my local one last Christmas. It was delightful. I don't mind taking the advice of the ladies at the make up counters and enjoy the pampering.
I also love a good browse round the kitchenware department and looking at the new gadgets.
My least favourite department is the computer department because I so dislike the way the young men up there avoid serving a granny like me if they can get away with it. The difference if I take a son in law with me is almost amusing.

Jillybird Mon 28-Sep-20 11:13:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juicylucy Mon 28-Sep-20 10:05:45

It wouldn’t be worth the trip now anyway as the make up counters are stripped bare due to restrictions they are not allowed to have it on display, to stop numerous people testing and touching unfortunately.

Ellianne Mon 28-Sep-20 09:46:17

Riverwalk

It will be the end of civilisation if JL ever close Peter Jones - I'm off there later to spend a gift voucher.

Shirley department stores are very safe places - half empty unfortunately for them, and everyone is masked.

Ooo yes, and the lovely views from the Peter Jones restaurant! Many an hour or two have I spent in there!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:33:45

I am off to John Lewis this week, probably Thursday, really looking forward to mooching without touching.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 09:27:37

It will be the end of civilisation if JL ever close Peter Jones - I'm off there later to spend a gift voucher.

Shirley department stores are very safe places - half empty unfortunately for them, and everyone is masked.

honeyrose Mon 28-Sep-20 09:26:27

I miss John Lewis too, though not for make-up (which I usually buy from Boots, No 7 or similar). I haven’t been into town since before lockdown. I do love John Lewis, it just feels quite classy and I like a lot of their products. Nice calm atmosphere - in fact too calm as for ages now, it’s seemed quite devoid of customers. I do hope they survive. I am a charity shop shopper and buy lots of clothes from them, but I haven’t even ventured into one of those since before lockdown. I’m not exactly going to prop the economy up, am I? I am shopping online now though - hoping to get back to real shops in time.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 09:16:35

I used to love going to JL and sampling some of their expensive perfumes but I expect that's not available now.

Teetime Mon 28-Sep-20 09:13:14

Well yes I do miss JL beauty counters as our nearest is in Leicester which DH is reluctant to visit at the moment. Its not the same anyway as they cant let you try anything or test it on your skin. I did go to a Space NK which stocks lots of beauty brands and the lady was most helpful. I went yesterday but they close on Sundays.

J52 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:41:09

A couple of weeks ago I went to our JL to pick up a birthday present, straight there and back.
There was no need to worry about safety, it was almost empty. By empty I do not just mean customers, but staff as well.
In the electrical department I waited 10 mins, no staff. I then spied a person who looked likely. He was a member of the public. I had to go to the pay station and ask for help.
Then at the jewellry counter, the same thing. Altogether it took a lot of time and effort in order to spend £££.
No wonder their profits are down. Not going again.

Ellianne Mon 28-Sep-20 07:30:35

For me Oxford Street is the only JL that warrants a large beauty department. I've used the ones at others - Bluewater, Westfield etc - but the experience isn't nearly as good.
Since lockdown I have lost interest in cosmetics, but did buy something on click & collect.

NotAGran55 Mon 28-Sep-20 07:11:23

I fell head over heals in love with John Lewis when I was taken there for the first time at the age of 10 to buy my school uniform. I hadn’t ever had such a magical experience!
I rarely shop anywhere else and my moto is ‘ If John Lewis don’t sell it then I don’t buy it ‘

A few years ago my local branch was having a massive refurbishment and my husband and I were invited to a session to give our input as customers into the plans . I was really shocked to , but at the time we had recently moved and had spent rather a lot of money with them that year hence being ‘valued customers’ I guess .

So in answer to your question ShieleyW I don’t miss them because I have never stopped shopping there smile
I was first through the door when they reopened in High Wycombe and have almost weekly visits to a Oxford and Reading to get my ‘fix’ .

MellowYellow Mon 28-Sep-20 06:56:13

I miss John Lewis full stop! Not that we have one within a zillion miles of where I live, but it's always my first shop visit when I go to Liverpool. I've never used the make up counters but I imagine it feels like being pampered, which is always nice. Daughter and I usually head for the bed section and try out all the ones we could never afford!