Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Slippers and Shoes, I despair!

(36 Posts)
GillT57 Fri 02-Oct-20 13:41:28

I have wide feet, exacerbated by high arches. Why can I not find slippers/house shoes which are reasonably attractive? Why do manufacturers assume that anyone with my feet issue is over 90, with bunions, no taste and possibly living in a care home? Frumpy doesn't do them justice. No offence to anyone in the above category of course, but I need something more than my current slip on flat slippers as I am at home most of the day. Any suggestions or sympathy would be appreciated!!

trustgone4sure Fri 02-Oct-20 14:02:10

Have you looked at Clarkes shoes on-line GilT57 ?.
I only buy Clarkes and they last years.

shysal Fri 02-Oct-20 14:41:23

I wear Skechers indoors instead of slippers, as they are so comfortable. Another benefit is that they have proper soles so that I can pop outside without changing them. They come in plain colours, jazzy prints or even sparkle if you so wish smile. I have wide feet and bunions but the standard shoes fit. However they also do a 'relaxed fit' range.
I hope you find something you like.

kittylester Fri 02-Oct-20 14:42:32

Have you looked at Moshulu?

Aldom Fri 02-Oct-20 14:55:24

Haflingers, boiled wool clogs are my choice for winter indoor wear. They have excellent arch support, so important when worn all day. Also lovely and warm, yet breathable. Very hard wearing. I've had my current pair for several years. In summer I wear Sketcher's leather slip on sandals.

Marydoll Fri 02-Oct-20 15:07:24

I have just bought a leopard print pair of wedges from Pavers.
They had money off as well.

I also use Sketchers as slippers.

BBbevan Fri 02-Oct-20 16:06:27

Try Haflinger. They are a Germany company ,I think, who do very trendy, comfy slippers

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 17:01:02

I have to wear something supportive that has room for an orthotics so wear Skechers or Pavers.
Widerfit Shoes have a selection but perhaps you may find their styles a bit frumpy, although they have some similar to the ones in Marydoll's picture and in several widths.

cornergran Fri 02-Oct-20 17:20:49

Flyflot, Skechers, or Pavers own brand for me. Sandals in the summer and light shoe styles for the winter. Trouble is they last too long grin.

Marydoll Fri 02-Oct-20 17:39:46

BBBevan, I do like those slippers! ?

Alexa Fri 02-Oct-20 17:55:23

Trainers with the laces very very loose. For cold weather. trainers big enough to get warm socks in.

trisher Fri 02-Oct-20 18:04:10

I like slipper boots. Only recently started wearing them I used to go barefoot all year.

BBbevan Fri 02-Oct-20 19:24:13

Me too Marydoll and super comfy too. Mine have felt soles, so I can clean the floors as I walk.

tidyskatemum Fri 02-Oct-20 19:28:46

Cooh yes, DD buys me a new pair of cosy slipper boots every winter. I feel like Nanook of the North in them!

GillT57 Fri 02-Oct-20 19:29:19

Thank you all, glad I am not alone! I shall have a look at the Haflinger as that sounds like the sort of thing I am looking for. I don't like wearing shoes indoors, but something with a sturdier sole that slippers is useful for popping out with the recycling/picking the last of the tomatoes.

GillT57 Fri 02-Oct-20 19:30:44

Leopard print are just what I am looking for marydoll grin

geekesse Fri 02-Oct-20 19:53:16

I have just had to buy a pair of slip-on shoes because an injury means I can’t tie shoe laces. I have wide feet and very high arches, too. I bought a pair of slip-on, leopard print loafers from Clark’s in town. The model is called ‘Pure Viola’. They are really comfortable and nicely showy.

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 19:57:47

trisher

I like slipper boots. Only recently started wearing them I used to go barefoot all year.

We wore those in Finland.
They cleaned the wooden floors as you walked around!

Unfortunately, I cant wear them any more.

GillT57 Fri 02-Oct-20 19:58:59

Thanks Geekesse, I too struggle with laces at present, on one side anyway, due to a hip which keeps locking. Pure Viola sound just the job, I shall look for them.

geekesse Sat 03-Oct-20 14:26:57

GillT57

Thanks Geekesse, I too struggle with laces at present, on one side anyway, due to a hip which keeps locking. Pure Viola sound just the job, I shall look for them.

www.clarks.co.uk/c/Pure-Viola/p/26143935

MawB2 Sat 03-Oct-20 14:50:35

I am currently wearing a pair of Hotter summer shoes as “house shoes” as I don’t like wearing slippers except at bedtime.
These are called Livvy and I am sure they are in the Hotter sale. I like them as they are light and soft.

NotAGran55 Wed 28-Apr-21 06:35:49

A Skechers wearer indoors here too . They sell wide fittings and are soooo soft - like walking on a cloud .

Ashcombe Wed 28-Apr-21 06:59:10

My feet are wide and with high arches, too. My DH encouraged me to buy fleece lined crocs from Lidl and they are brilliant! Really comfortable, cosy and wonderfully supportive for my arthritic joints, especially my hips which are both replacements. I know crocs are the subject of jokes and ridicule but I’m a huge fan!

The sling back can go over the front of the croc for easy slipping on and off and you can remove the inner fleece for machine washing at 30 deg.

www.shoechef.co.uk/Fur_Lined_Clogs_Furry_Slippers_Blue_Garden_Shoes_Mules_Cloggis/p3327857_14232094.aspx

Kate54 Wed 28-Apr-21 08:10:17

Crocs are back in fashion now! Always wear the slightly narrower ones as slippers. Won’t hear a word said against them!

Ashcombe Wed 28-Apr-21 08:24:25

A kindred spirit! Thanks, Kate54!