Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Bon marche

(16 Posts)
craftyone Fri 09-Oct-20 13:16:56

Peacocks has filed for administration, they took bon marche over just a few months ago

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-20 13:22:50

Just heard about Edinburgh Wool Mill being on the brink of collapse on the lunchtime News. They own Peacocks (didn't know about Bon Marché) and Jaegar.

shock shock

Ilovecheese Fri 09-Oct-20 13:23:39

I am sorry, I really like Peacocks, a friend of mine used to be one of their designers

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-20 13:29:53

I buy jeans from Bon Marché and Peacock's linen trousers in the summer. Haven't bought anything from EWM for years. I've always thought their clothes were dowdy.

Alima Fri 09-Oct-20 13:40:16

Oh dear, do hope something works out for them. Not only for the employees for whom alternative jobs are greatly reduced but also for the customers. Does anyone else wonder where on earth we be able to buy clothes from at this rate. (Says she who has been rotating the same couple of pairs of joggers around since the start of lockdown. Heavens, made me realise it could be my fault!)

Ilovecheese Fri 09-Oct-20 13:44:44

Peacocks linen trousers are a summer staple

craftyone Fri 09-Oct-20 13:47:10

I have just ordered 4 pairs of jeans from bon marche, they fit me so well, the only ones that ever have. I hope someone comes in to buy the companies

Marydoll Fri 09-Oct-20 13:52:47

Edinburgh Woollen Mill are potentially filing for administration, they have 24,000 employees. They own all the stores mentioned. They haven't gone into administration yet, but are preparing papers for the High Court.
What a shame.

M0nica Fri 09-Oct-20 15:37:50

The retailers are doing nothing to help themselves.

I went into a nearby shopping town on Monday and I have never seen such a miserable range of shops. Every one was a sea of black, sometimes set off by dark navy or purple. It looked as if they were all holding funerals. M&S no longer display trousers the slimline way - as if they had creases, instead they are width wise with each pair looking like a letter A and all sizes looking enormous when hung on the rack that way.

I have never seen shops look more unappealing. EWS was a mess, they obviously economise by dispensing with merchandisers, random clothes in random colours scattered here there and everywhere. Needless to say I came home empty handed.

If the retailers want to revive the High Street, the least they could do is make their stores appealing and welcoming to go into!

NotTooOld Fri 09-Oct-20 15:49:10

I so agree with you, Monica. I have not been in MnS since before lockdown but at that time the whole place appeared very dowdy and there seemed to be no notices to help one find what one was looking for. There were trousers dotted about all over the place, same with tops and jackets, so finding anything was very much a question of luck. I gave up.

biba70 Fri 09-Oct-20 15:52:50

In our small Market Town, all 3 are in the town centre- all 3 clsing would make a huge difference !

Fernbergien Mon 12-Oct-20 14:51:42

While on the subject of Bon Marche, the best things I have bought recently are the plain biker jackets. Very good, smart and ok on older ladies. Good fit.

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:18:18

If any ‘grans’ are looking for a similar company with value-for -money priced garments,
have a look at chums.co.uk on the internet.
I don’t think they have shops.
I’ve bought jeans, cords and summer cotton trousers from them and been very pleased with the quality. Good customer service too.

craftyone Tue 13-Oct-20 13:08:15

Bon Marche have a short term 20% reduction on denims, I have ordered more jeans, there is no way I want to run out of the only jeans that I can wear. I also got another 10% off for points, they were a post free bargain

Gwyneth Tue 13-Oct-20 13:13:43

I shall really miss Peacocks if a buyer cannot be found. They have lovely linen dresses, good quality fabric and reasonably priced.

merlotgran Tue 13-Oct-20 14:14:46

Thanks for the tip off, craftyone. I don't need any more jeans but I've just bought a navy blue Parka for only £24.