Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All this 'how to be stylish' advice.

(91 Posts)
ExD Wed 14-Oct-20 12:50:23

I do wish the models used in these programmes, articles, blogs on this subject were based more on 'real' people. The lovely tall, slender, examples of old age are nothing like most of us.
Where are the overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked examples that are representative of most of us?
Just a thought.

tidyskatemum Wed 14-Oct-20 22:28:55

lemongrove that woman drives me up the wall! Anyone less in need of mobility aids would be hard to imagine. And don’t get me started on the over-50’s life insurance ads!

Alexa Thu 15-Oct-20 00:45:38

I couldn't care less if I am stylish or not but do like to wear clothes that make me look straighter and thinner and are comfortable.

Hetty58 Thu 15-Oct-20 06:08:04

The mere word 'stylish' on here instantly makes me laugh.

There are loads of them around this area - the older women: 'smartly' dressed,
hair done,
makeup perfected,
accessories coordinated
etc. etc.

What completely ruins their appearance is the worried, tired, angry, blank expressions they 'wear'. Another downer is the aged 'waddling' walk!

I aim for:

comfortably clothed,
clean,
with a smile!

It's a winner - works for me!

Sunglasses and lipstick = done
(mask wearing means no lipstick needed)

Spangler Thu 15-Oct-20 06:58:19

NotTooOld Wed 14-Oct-20 22:03:15
^Who wants to be stylish anyway? We should all wear what we like when we like.
Spangler - you sound like a very suave gent.^
That's a lovely compliment and sensible advice, thank you.
Aspiring to a style, any style, if you're self conscious about it don't do it. A fellow said to me at the supermarket, "you look great in that hat," when I said that I didn't have the monopoly on hat wearing he understood my meaning. "Oh I couldn't," he replied, "it's a great hat but I wouldn't have the balls to wear it." I smiled and thanked him, then said, "there won't be any two tone shoes in your wardrobe anytime soon then?" "Oh how I wish," he said and went on his way.

Baggs Thu 15-Oct-20 07:24:13

I want to be stylish but only in my own style. I don't care what's fashionable or not fashionable or what the "style professionals" think is cool/stylish/whatever. My mother used to say: Make your own style and be comfortable with it. I do and I am. Someone I work with who has a completely different style from mine said recently that she has always loved my "style" and that I could be a model for Boden!! I have no Boden clothes.

For clarity, my work clothes are cargo pants with full pockets and a T-shirt ?. Maybe it's how you carry yourself that makes the difference.

Plus, in my case, hats.

Good luck, ladies and gents. Do your own thing ?

M0nica Thu 15-Oct-20 07:58:01

Hetty

I am not sure what you describe is stylish. There is far more to stylish than just being well turned out. It doesn't mean dressed age appropriately.

Some people can look stylish dressed in a black bin bag.

LullyDully Thu 15-Oct-20 08:13:17

Yes monica I agree. "Some are born stylish, some achieve stylishness some have stylishness thrust upon them".

I have known people who come into the ' black bin list ' theory and sadly I am not one.

TerriBull Thu 15-Oct-20 08:58:20

I admit to being a slave to fashion once, those days have passed for me thankfully! I wear what I like and what I find comfortable, reasonably fashionable for my age demographic, but certainly not high fashion. High fashion often makes me snort with laughter these days, I admit to quite often wanting to hurl The Sunday Times supplementary Style magazine across the room, ridiculous clothes at equally ridiculous prices, who are their target audience one wonders, not me that's for sure grin I imagine the other Sunday papers have similar fatuous fashion magazines. Possibly one of the upsides of getting older, you shed your inner sheep and become more of your own person and less likely to give a monkeys about the superficial smile

Witzend Thu 15-Oct-20 16:01:16

I don’t read any of the ‘how to be stylish’ stuff. I always imagine that it’s been written by max 37 year olds who think they know what the old dears on GN ought to want.

There was something about dresses for the over 50s some time ago - to me they were virtually all ghastly, which is why I’ve never bothered to read any such stuff since.
I have my own style, thanks!

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 16:19:14

In my head I'm Joanna Lumley so I don't want to be looking at a photo of an overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked model suggesting otherwise.

So there! grin

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 17:00:36

Which of these 3 I ages (if any!) do you like? One I like, one I love and one I wouldn’t be seen dead in.....

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 17:01:28

*should read “images”

AGAA4 Thu 15-Oct-20 17:14:00

Watching tv I start to wonder if most older women look like Angela Rippon or Helen Mirren so ExD's descriptions are comforting.

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 17:17:14

MerylStreep

ExD
I'm always told that I have style. But that might not be what you think is stylish. Could you give us an idea of who you think is stylish.?
I'm trying to find a picture that will link to give you an idea of my style.

Did you find a pic, MerylStreep?

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 17:21:22

Lisagran, I like No1, I quite like No2 and I wouldn't be seen dead in No3

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 17:43:36

That was my thinking too, merlotgran grin

MerylStreep Thu 15-Oct-20 19:01:03

Lisagran
Definitely No 1 ( lady in denim jeans)
My style is this. Hope it links. Christine Lagarde.https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/41517627804701064/

MerylStreep Thu 15-Oct-20 19:01:57

Obviously it didn't. I love her style.

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 19:06:07

I do like no.1 Lisa, but those days are behind me.
No.2 is more like me.

Christine always looks great. ? envy

Millie22 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:00:12

Lisagran
I would wear the white top of lady 3 with the jeans on lady 1. Don't like 2 at all.

grannyrebel7 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:12:50

Definitely no. 1 don't fancy the other two at all. I've spent the last 7 months in jeans or shorts with nice tops. I've got loads of dresses, but haven't got anywhere to wear them now. Having a bad day today too.

Spangler Thu 15-Oct-20 20:23:52

merlotgran

In my head I'm Joanna Lumley so I don't want to be looking at a photo of an overweight, doubled chinned, spectacle wearing, short, dumpy, swollen legged examples of femininity - or the skinny, saggy breasted, thin haired, scraggy necked model suggesting otherwise.

So there! grin

Now let me see.
Overweight, check.
Double chinned, check.
Spectacled, check.
Short, check.
Dumpy, check.
Swollen legs, check.
Skinny, check.
Saggy breasts, check.
Thinning hair, check.
Scraggy neck, check.
78 year old is transformed:
www.dollhousephotography.co.uk/

Lisagran Thu 15-Oct-20 21:02:31

I think Christine Lagarde looks stylish as an international working woman, but her style is not to my personal taste at all. Even when I was working, I was never very keen on that tailored, classic look. I think she looks older than her age (64)

But each to their own smile

lemongrove Thu 15-Oct-20 21:20:12

When I’m working in the bar I have to look stylish so I opt for
A denim crop top and a silver sequinned mini skirt, with my trademark white six inch heels.?

At home, I slouch about in any old thing.

kittylester Thu 15-Oct-20 21:38:20

Callistemon, I was 5'5" aged 11 and was goal shooter in the net ball team. A year later everyone had caught me up and i discovered that there is more to being good at netball than being tall.