Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Any hairdressers out there? Need advice, please.

(14 Posts)
NotTooOld Sun 01-Nov-20 22:41:34

I usually have my roots done at the salon every 6-8 weeks but in this time of covid I have been dying my hair myself with a box dye. I have tried using a touch-up dye just on the roots but I am not very good at it and I get poor results. I find it much easier to do the whole of my head but I am worried about build up of colour at the ends. Is it ok to use home dye on all of my hair every six weeks or so or should I struggle on with trying to dye just the roots? (My hair is mostly grey and I dye it light golden brown with Clairol Nice n Easy.)
Thanks for any advice!

crazyH Sun 01-Nov-20 22:48:39

I have also been quite unsuccessful with the root touch-up. I prefer to do the whole lot. I just use Dark Brown every 6 weeks. I have a friend who dyes her hair every 3 weeks without any problems.

crazyH Sun 01-Nov-20 22:50:52

Just realised, I haven't answered your question. No, I don't find any build up of colour at the ends.

DillytheGardener Sun 01-Nov-20 22:53:44

I studied hair dressing (many many moons ago)
No, definitely do not dye the whole length of your hair, it causes build up, and your hair will become brittle and fragile. It also will cause that nasty one shade, dead look if it’s re dyed constantly. Can you buy some sectioning clips online and get someone at home to do it? My husband does mine. Also if haven’t already get a proper little bowel and brush to do it with.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 01-Nov-20 23:02:20

I have used box dye on my hair for decades, mostly dying the whole head. Result? Dry, brittle unmanageable hair which looked more and more like candy floss. I now, with difficulty, make sure I only colour the roots. It really is worth the extra effort.

Nanna58 Sun 01-Nov-20 23:35:11

Dillythe gardener , picturing someone dying their hair with a proper little ‘ bowel’ has made my day !!!!!???

NotTooOld Mon 02-Nov-20 10:55:21

Thanks, everyone. Divided opinions obviously. Come on vaccine, I need to get back to the salon!

DillytheGardener Wed 04-Nov-20 19:44:12

Nanna58 Oh dear! You’d never guess I went to a grammar school would you with my atrocious spelling grin you made me laugh I hadn’t even noticed!!

stevelouis Tue 10-Nov-20 05:05:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Esspee Tue 10-Nov-20 07:39:09

I have been colouring my hair for 50 years now using L'Oreal. I used Preference for the first 45 years then switched to Excellence recently because it says it gives better grey coverage. Can't say I notice any difference.
I use half a box at a time. First time use a full box and keep the applicator bottle. From then on when doing roots put half of the 2 ingredients into the old applicator bottle and give it a good shake.
I make a parting and squeeze a little solution along the parting onto the roots massaging it a bit to spread it. I then apply it using the point of the applicator about an inch on either side of the parting going out at right angles to the parting followed by my fingers pushing through from underneath to cover my scalp evenly and I complete the all over job very quickly in just a few minutes. I also do a few streaks downwards right to the end on the dry hair. Every five mins or so I put my fingers through the dry hair and "comb" the roots up from underneath. This spreads the colour a little further down the hair shaft each time. After a few repeats I simply massage the product over my full head, leave for the final ten minutes or so then wash off.
The conditioner in the box is amazing. I towel my head dry, apply the conditioner then a shower cap and do my nails, epilate my legs, have a long deep soak in the bath, rinse the conditioner off and blow dry.
I am no beauty but have always had great hair. I mostly use a light golden blonde as that was my natural colour and I am regularly complimented on my hair. In winter I sometimes go one shade darker covering roots and putting on lots of full length streaks. My hairdresser, who understands that I prefer to do my own colouring at £4 a time has told me that home colouring is far gentler than the "professional" products.
I have never noticed build up. When you think of it the hair I am colouring now has only been around for four years or so as hair grows really rapidly (just thinking of the amount on the floor from that first cut after lockdown)
It is seriously easy to do, really inexpensive, and gives great results.

diygran Tue 10-Nov-20 20:10:50

Have always coloured hair myself, covering whole head every 6/8weeks.
Then a new hairdresser said I had build up on ends and should do only root touch up. Following her advice now and my hair is in far better condition than ever was.

Willow500 Wed 11-Nov-20 13:56:08

I haven't been able to go to the hairdressers for nearly a year now - firstly due to her husband's cancer treatment and then lockdown so have been trying to transition my hair to silver. It used to be coloured every six weeks and she did the whole head which never seemed to harm my (long) hair. Although I've tried to put silver hair colour on it won't take on the back which is still quite a 'warm' blonde so I'm just about to try a box bleach which arrived yesterday. Husband is going to have to have a crash course in hair colouring off YouTube as I can't see the back. Wish me luck!! grin

BassGrammy Wed 11-Nov-20 14:07:37

On a similar hair theme, does anyone have any advice for hair that is breaking/not growing. My hair is natural white colour, not had any colour on it since the beginning of the year and decided to grow out my layers. The back of my hair is growing but the rest isn’t despite not trimming it. I don’t want to go to my hairdresser as I know she’ll want to put the layers back! I have been using White Hot shampoo or Touch of Silver. Any ideas?

Yiayia4 Wed 11-Nov-20 14:10:51

Definitely just do the roots divide your hair into 4 sections like a hot cross bun and get someone to do the back for you sectioning each part and apply to roots.
Good luck hope it works out.