Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Necks

(62 Posts)
Shirleyw Sun 29-Nov-20 04:53:37

In an m&s offer I treated myself to Prai ageless throat & decolletage cream. Have never tried a neck cream, always use my regular moisturiser but i was tempted by this cream, 30 quid instead of 35 for 100ml pot .....they say it's their best selling cream and good reviews. I know nothing short of a 'neck job' won't get rid of an ageing neck but giving this a go, if it makes neck a bit smoother I be happy. Just that I took a selfie and that shows every line ???. Do you use a neck cream?

JadeOlivia Mon 30-Nov-20 18:55:29

Clarins does a good one. I tried the Prai, thought it was ok.

crazyH Mon 30-Nov-20 18:36:20

Put a bit of weight on ....... there are no wrinkles on a balloon ?

rozina Mon 30-Nov-20 18:26:19

I used to use Body Shop neck cream which was thick and really did the job. I haven't used it for a while but they may still stock it.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 30-Nov-20 18:21:16

Mine has “gone” this year as well.

I am interested in the Strawberry Laser thing I keep seeing advertised, but you have to go to a salon for that....and probably ££

Meanwhile I have adapted an exercise from a facelift exercise book - lying on the bed, or after yoga class - slowly lift and lower your head (to an in an out breath) 25 times. I am making it more difficult by also adding in the arms for extra weight (might add in a couple of tins of baked beans later ?)....also in the hope that stronger neck muscles might help my (alleged) snoring!

Ilovedragonflies Mon 30-Nov-20 17:36:04

Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of jowls would be gratefully received. I appear to have gained them this year and no amount of facial exercises will shift them. I've tried slapping/tapping along my chin line but only ended up with a red neck hmm. I hate them! I agree about not wearing glasses to look in the mirror! This aging lark is so much fun...

sodapop Mon 30-Nov-20 16:12:04

I don't have a problem with a wrinkly neck but I do have a lot of skin tags which look unsightly. My treat to myself is Clarins serum and face cream, hang the expense.

Annma Mon 30-Nov-20 16:06:56

Clarinsneck cream is good but expensive. I like Aldi Lacura caviar day and night cream - only £6.99 each. My neck is looking more nourished and age spots have definitely faded-what’s not to like.

hollysteers Mon 30-Nov-20 15:53:32

Creams are nice, but really make no difference in the long run.
A couple of years ago I had lipo suction on my neck and my eyelids done. So pleased with the result! Worth every penny and as I’m far from a spendthrift, quite justified.
Not so great now I’m holed up lol ?

123kitty Mon 30-Nov-20 15:04:54

I don't think anyone can expect a good result after just a few weeks of trying any cream, however expensive. Cookooz is happy with her neck after caring for it for 20 years. I was taught to moisturize from my hair line to over the tops of my breasts morning and night, a 50 year habit. I would recommend trying online facial yoga and excercises, they don't take long- but they do need doing daily. As you can see embracing my wrinkles has never entered my 70 year head.

Kestrel Mon 30-Nov-20 14:39:29

I've heard that neck exercises - bit like facial ones - can tighten up the neck a bit - has anyone tried them? I use Dove cream on face, neck and top of chest (wrinkles getting everywhere nowshock)

Cuckooz Mon 30-Nov-20 14:11:54

I’ve been using bio oil on my neck for about 20 years and it’s kept my skin looking very good - hardly any wrinkles. I’m currently using Prai products on my face and have actually used the neck cream on my face. I received it as a free gift when I spent over a certain amount at M&S. Works for me.

Ingrid45 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:24:08

i have Lacura Q10 night cream from Lidl. Feels nice and creamy and I just put it on my neck when i do my face. Best thing is its only £3 and lasts for ages.

Rainwashed Mon 30-Nov-20 13:11:56

I do think M&S cosmetics are generally good. I used to use a cheaper one of their specific neck creams, but then decided to just use my moisturiser. Prai sounds tempting though being a gel as I like that. Anyway you don’t know until you try these things, and I think it usually takes a little while to show any effect . Keep going OP and then decide if it is worth buying again.

P3terpan Mon 30-Nov-20 12:57:49

I’ve always been aware that my décolletage will go crinkly so have tried all sorts to stave it off. I’ve got it now but I’ve found the best cream ever is Cetraban. It’s good on your hands and arms, well all over really and not expensive. I swear by it.

Casdon Mon 30-Nov-20 12:53:24

Marmight, that’s how it came across to me I’m afraid - I’m all for a robust debate, but I don’t think telling somebody they are wasting their money when they have just got themselves something they consider a treat is kind. It’s okay to say it hasn’t worked for you of course, and say what you think has worked for you but we all have different triggers to feel good about ourselves - I just think sometimes it’s better not to say negative things.

Chulachuli Mon 30-Nov-20 12:22:50

I have always used moisturiser and now swear by Boots Protect and Perfect serum and creams. You don’t need anything expensive, just a barrier to protect the skin from weather, pollution etc. Back in the 80’s when I was teaching Biology, there weren’t such strict rules on the “science” that copywriters could put in adverts. One of my tasks I would give 6th form students was to do a critique of some of the outlandish claims that were made for skin creams - great fun!!

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 30-Nov-20 12:13:32

Bluebell I do not want to embrace my age with its wrinkles and aches. I will continue to put cream on. I will continue to exercise with pilates.

I've used No7 (Boots) for probably 30 years for my face and neck and spend time massaging it in. I buy Day and Night creams. I've been told I do not look my age but what do I put this down too? Perhaps I would look as I do without ever using creams. I'll never know.

My neck is, however, on the downward slope. I don't believe there is anything you can do (except surgery) about turkey neck which is the result of the pair of muscles located in the centre of your neck, known as the platysma muscles, separating and descending.

Read this fact today whilst googling skin changes!

"Before age 50 and also after age 60, female faces age—on average—about twice as fast as male faces; between 50 and 60 years, this sex difference in ageing rate is even more pronounced (up to three times faster)." So unfair! angry

Fizog Mon 30-Nov-20 12:08:36

Polo necks and artistically arranged scarves if you are bothered. I am 60, I am crepe ridden.....it is my badge for living this long and not being fat.....

rowanflower0 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:42:01

I just continue my day cream lower and haven't got a bad neck for 68, - use the aldi one when I'm hard-up, as they all seem the same!
You're putting me off my diet though.

SueEH Mon 30-Nov-20 11:15:25

I got the Prai cream last year in M & S Xmas Beauty Calendar and loved it. Tried to get some in the Boots £10 Tuesday recently but it was already sold out. I don’t know if anyone noticed anything but I certainly felt that it did a good job. I think part of the reason I like it is that it’s specifically for the neck area and tbh I probably slap moisturiser over my face and forget my neck... hmm

Moggycuddler Mon 30-Nov-20 11:04:28

I just use Nivea Soft on my face and neck, have done for years. My skin is pretty good for my age so I don't worry. I've read a few times that cheaper moisturisers really do the same job as very expensive ones. I couldn't justify spending so much money on a face cream. But if you can afford it and feel that it works better, why not?

omega1 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:00:57

Astral is a lovely cream and you get a big tub of it for about £6. If its good enough for Joanna Lumley its good enough for me.

jaylucy Mon 30-Nov-20 10:59:02

I must admit I have the same problem . Haven't bought the Prai but I just whack on whatever moisturiser I put on my face and have only noticed a minor difference - if I haven't put any cream on at all !
I must say our local beauty salon often advertises a certain neck treatment along with before and after photos - I'd believe them if the after photo didn't show the client's chin at a slightly higher angle than the before - so maybe that's the cure - walk around as if you have a nasty smell under your nose!

Annaram1 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:54:21

In her old age Sophia Loren was still beautiful but she always tied a scarf around her neck.

wildswan16 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:50:32

My neck is the one reason I hate going to the hairdresser. Sitting looking at it in a mirror for what seems like hours does nothing for my peace of mind.

The rest of the time I completely forget about it.