Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Big waisted trousers?

(23 Posts)
Callistemon21 Mon 11-Sep-23 10:52:23

😁 Nothing to do with the thread!
Reported

parkerhunter Mon 11-Sep-23 10:50:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Purplepixie Sun 16-May-21 11:18:17

I recently got some comfy jeans from Damart.

teabagwoman Sun 16-May-21 11:16:18

Have just come across this thread and glad to know I'm not alone. Making my own is out of the question as am partially sighted, not that I was much good at sewing when I could see.
I'm long waisted with a midriff bulge that doesn't respond to any amount of dieting, my backside just gets smaller and makes the problem more pronounced. I shall be trying all your suggestions, would love to look a little more stylish despite having to wear extra wide, extra deep lace up shoes that look like old fashioned school shoes.

icanhandthemback Sun 09-May-21 13:58:08

I have a large waist and a tiny bottom sat upon skinny legs. I have bought maternity jeans but also wear hipsters with longer shirts to get around the problem. I have large shoulders as well so anything closer fitting looks odd too. I don't know where I got my frame from...my sisters are more of an hour glass shape and, although several sizes bigger, look far better in their clothes than me!

sazz1 Sun 09-May-21 13:53:25

I can't understand why all my trousers are a size smaller than my skirts. Skirts the same size are much too small. All different makes but the same problem. Hate returning things so roll on the day changing rooms open

Alexa Thu 06-May-21 09:50:01

I buy elasticated stretchy waist trousers for that reason. I find that I can wear size 16 if the waist is stretchy. Usually these are pull on trousers.

emiliadaviddd Thu 06-May-21 09:15:18

these days I like high waist trousers and with Riverdale southside serpents jacket

Bambamgran Wed 05-May-21 10:30:42

Susie42, just saw your post.
I hadn't thought of myself as a milk bottle, but I am happy to go with that! Please list all these clothing brands with big waists! They sound just the answer to my prayers.

Susie42 Sat 24-Apr-21 13:03:04

I have a problem with waists being too big and I'm fed up with altering RTW trousers and have gone back to making them. I'm convinced that they are fitting them on people built like milk bottles!

Aveline Fri 23-Apr-21 16:36:49

Bambamgran sunshine

Bambamgran Fri 23-Apr-21 16:22:02

Thanks again for your suggestions. I have bought John Lewis linen crops and linen straight legs- excellent fit and stylish cut. Also straight leg jeans from John Lewis and M and S. Wonderful! Following six months of debilitating ill-health, I feel on the road to being a new woman.

Bambamgran Wed 07-Apr-21 09:58:12

Thank you for your suggestions. I have ordered some trousers to try and will let you know if they fit!

4allweknow Wed 31-Mar-21 13:01:05

Try Bon Marche. They have straight legged jeans not in heavy denim with stretch waists.

lizzypopbottle Wed 31-Mar-21 12:26:13

You could get a sewing machine or learn to use that one at the back of the cupboard! Making trousers from scratch isn't all that difficult and you have the pleasure of choosing your fabric. (Altering the waistband of a bought pair requires more advanced skill and extra fabric.)

I always had a 'boyish' figure i.e. straight up and down, no defined waist so I was astonished to discover my waist and to find my rounded back/shoulders was caused by fat rather than poor posture. I did it by 5:2 fasting. It works and you're only hungry on two days a week.

Atqui Sun 28-Mar-21 22:22:36

Sorry Bella not Balls!

Atqui Sun 28-Mar-21 22:22:14

Balls di notti have various style for different shapes but v expensive. I have same problem and have bought v cheap straight leg jeans from Sainsburys which have big waist but nice fit round bottom and thighs.

vampirequeen Sun 28-Mar-21 21:42:15

Try Curvissa

Sago Sun 28-Mar-21 10:55:53

Maternity jeans and trousers could work.
My daughter wore hers post partum and they looked great.

Bixiboo Sat 27-Mar-21 23:39:59

Try Robell trousers. They are a generous fit and you may have to go down a size. Their Marie make is a generous fit and seem to fit at the waist without swamping you everywhere else.

ninathenana Sat 27-Mar-21 14:54:25

Try Yoursclothing.co.uk

MerylStreep Sat 27-Mar-21 13:22:34

Have a look on local sites where your likely to find a dressmaker. Have them made to fit you

Bambamgran Sat 27-Mar-21 13:17:32

Does anyone know where I can buy stylish jeans and trousers with generous/ relaxed waist? Normally, if the waist fits me, the trousers swamp me everywhere else. So difficult to reduce the waist specifically through diet, so always a struggle to buy stylish trousers!