Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Jewellery Chat Please! ?

(76 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 23-May-21 12:41:55

Hello Everyone ?

As you may or may not know, I recently lost my beloved Nan.

I've decided that I am going to treat myself to a piece of Jewellery with some of the money that she has kindly left to me.

It will more than likely be a ring, as you can always see them yourself, as opposed to earrings etc.
And rings seem to be more meaningful.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas please?
Favourite shops; sites; styles; gemstones etc. Anything!
I'd like to hear what you think.

We haven't had a Jewellery Thread for a while; so all contributions are more than welcome. I love talking and thinking about jewellery (I need to watch that new jewellery show).

Please share your relationship with jewellery, and tell us your favourite pieces.

Thank you as ever smileflowers

Beechnut Sun 23-May-21 12:47:42

What about a jewellery workshop Fanny where you could make your own, even design your own. I think that would make it extra special.

Septimia Sun 23-May-21 12:48:44

If you want something a bit different, look at Sheila Fleet's website. She's based in Orkney but has a shop in Edinburgh, too, I believe.

25Avalon Sun 23-May-21 12:51:14

I bought a Clogau ring made with Welsh gold with a small amount of money my father gave me.

FannyCornforth Sun 23-May-21 12:52:01

Ooh! What a good idea Beechnut!
I did think about designing something and getting it made by a jeweller.
We used to have a friend of the family who made lots of things for us, but he is no longer with us
He even made a gold ring for me that I designed when I was five. It was a flower with an amethyst in the centre.
I wore it on my little finger when I was older, but sadly lost it sad
That's the thing about rings - they aren't the most secure things

FannyCornforth Sun 23-May-21 12:52:49

Thank you Septimia, I will do

Ellianne Sun 23-May-21 12:53:42

That's a lovely idea Fanny.
I agree with the above suggestions, rather than visit a shop for an off the shelf piece, I think I would like to design something special in memory of my nan. Maybe using her favourite colour.
You can ask a designer to come up with a 3D image and adjust it from there.
A deep sapphire from Sri Lanka would be my choice, to evoke sea and sunshine.

SueD Sun 23-May-21 12:55:29

What about a ring from the era she was born? An aunt unexpectedly left me some money when she died so I treated myself to an Art Deco ring that I know she would have loved, and that I love too. I was shopping in a well known London store shortly after and one of the staff members said what a beautiful ring it was. I’m sure she’s seen some crackers in her time but it made my day. Other than that a bespoke piece totally modern with stones your Nan would have loved and that you like too. Probably not as expensive as you think

Ellianne Sun 23-May-21 12:57:11

Oops getting carried away now!

Sparklefizz Sun 23-May-21 12:58:17

FannyCornforth I love jewellery and really enjoyed the Glitters jewellery programme. I think you'd enjoy it from what you say.

Ellianne Sun 23-May-21 12:59:13

What colour were her eyes Fanny?. You could try matching that so she is always looking at you.

EllanVannin Sun 23-May-21 13:01:05

Jewellery, especially rings is a personal choice really, I think so anyway.
Unless you choose what you want carefully you can be quickly disillusioned with your purchase. You have to know what you want yourself.

With rings, I prefer second-hand/ antique because the quality is much better in the gold than modern jewellery, besides being better value for money if they contain certain stones.

My D bought a second-hand 1/2 carat diamond ring with some of the money her dad left, at a fraction of the price a new one would have cost and it's more than kept its value.

grannysyb Sun 23-May-21 13:27:45

Due to arthritis, my fingers are now so swollen that I don't wear rings any longer. My DGD1 recently celebrated her 18th birthday and I gave her a ring that had belonged to my mother, she was thrilled.

Judy54 Sun 23-May-21 13:36:51

I would go for an antique ring every time rather than a brand new one. Go and have a look in some antique dealers it is a lovely way to while away a few hours and to look at some lovely pieces. You may well find the perfect ring there. Happy hunting!

Blossoming Sun 23-May-21 14:17:59

I went to a workshop in London a few years ago and made my own ring. It was great fun and very satisfying. If I were buying a ring it would be one of Sheila Fleet’s beautiful Runic or enamel designs. I bought one of her necklaces last time I wax in Oban and I love it. She does mail order too.

sheilafleet.com/

MrsJamJam Sun 23-May-21 14:19:43

I had an old piece of family jewellery remodelled for my granddaughter's 18th. Discussed with her first whether this was a good idea, then googled to find local designers/makers. After meeting with the one I chose we looked at several designs before settling on one we both liked. Granddaughter now has a beautiful new family heirloom and she knows all the back story of the pieces it was made from.

It shouldn't take much research to find someone local who can make you something unique and really special. Well worth it.

NotSpaghetti Sun 23-May-21 14:38:27

Whatever you do, please consider using someone ethical.

Gold mining is often terrible, undertaken by young boys and dangerous to both the people and the environment. Diamonds, should you consider those, are potentially "conflict" or "blood" diamonds.

Some jewellers can guarantee stones as they come via what I think is called the Canada route (no time to check this just now).

Will come back with more info, but here's a start. I haven't read this but looks like a brief outline.

www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/from-blood-diamonds-to-dirty-gold-how-to-buy-gold-less-tainted-by-mercury-49726

Witzend Sun 23-May-21 14:45:48

I’d look for 2nd hand. A local jeweller’s always has a very tempting selection in a broad price range - all so much cheaper than new.

M0nica Sun 23-May-21 15:23:28

I love antique jewellry and I love rings. Most of mine are inherited, but if I was out to buy another i would be haunting all jewellers who sell antique jewellry.

Gwyneth Sun 23-May-21 16:55:01

A lovely idea fanny and I’m sure that whatever you choose will be treasured. Like you I tend to go for rings or earrings as I can’t manage to fasten a necklace anymore as the fastenings are too small and fiddly. Some great ideas from other posters so can’t really add anything. Just take your time in choosing and have a good look round. I hope you will post a picture of whatever you decide to buy.

geekesse Sun 23-May-21 16:59:52

My Dad had a thing about watches - he bought me my first ever Timex when I was 10 and even when he couldn’t see well enough to tell the time on one, he kept buying watches and giving them to his grandchildren. So when he died, I used some of my inheritance to buy a beautiful watch. Every time I look at it to tell the time, it reminds me of him.

Ellianne Sun 23-May-21 17:03:14

I hadn't thought of an antique ring for Fanny to remember her nan.
There are often some lovely pieces on the Antiques Roadshow which have been passed down the generations and have moving stories.

FannyCornforth Mon 24-May-21 05:19:04

Hello, and thank you for all of your suggestions.
I really love antique jewellery and I am tempted to go that route, but I worry that they might have a sad backstory and carry bad vibes. I think that this is especially relevant with rings.
Thank you from the link Blossoming. Sheila's stuff is beautiful - I love the 'river ripples' rings.
Style wise - I like art deco, but I think Victorian is my favourite. Queen Victoria herself had a rather strange wedding ring; a quite odd looking snake. Snakes were a symbol of loyalty, I wonder why?
I'm very lucky in that I've got a few very old pieces that I inherited from mom, including things that were my great grandmother's.
Opals were my Nan's favourite stone, and she also had a thing for cameos.
I'm sure that I will inherit something from my Nan, but it will be up to my aunty I would have thought.
Lots of things to think about (NotSpaghetti I will read that) - thank you.

BigBertha1 Mon 24-May-21 06:42:37

Thank you for the Sheila Fleet link...beautiful things..

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-May-21 11:59:51

This person:
ormebrown.com/

Only uses sustainable precious metals and certified or "recycled" gems.
There will be others out there obviously but I have seen some of her work and it's lovely.

I know she has designed and made jewellery for people using stones from their other jewellery (eg broken items) and also as special pieces.