Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Midi (maxi) dress for a short person.

(33 Posts)
alltheglitterglue Fri 04-Jun-21 17:07:31

I’m around 5 foot tall, the busty, hour-glass kind.

I would like to buy some midi dresses —which will look maxi on me— but my height and shape mean that I can’t wear anything entirely shapeless.

Most of my wardrobe is comprised of plain colours; blues, pinks, purples, browns, greens, beige, black, grey, white orange & yellow don’t suit me.

I have just seen this dress. What do you think? Am I just having an unrealistic-about-my-limitations menopausal moment?

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/SAMII-Geo-printed-rib-detail-midi-dress-Blue/p/251632-BLUE

Thank you all thanks

Amberone Sat 05-Jun-21 16:14:10

MiniMoon

This is the maxi dress I ordered. It arrived this morning, I tried it on and it fits perfectly. It is ankle length on me and I'm 5' 3" tall. Has two side pockets, fairly fine cotton but not see through. DH liked it, and for warm days at home its perfect.

That's a lovely dress Minimoon , it's the sort of thing I wear through most of the Summer as it can take you from beach to shops to eating out to having a walk to slumming in the garden.

62Granny Sat 05-Jun-21 15:52:22

Hi not sure about the neckline on the dress you like but can you order it then return it you don't like it on? I was browsing Ambrose Wilson website earlier and the have a skirt in a very similar material / fabric it is in their Julipa range and has been reduced worth a look.

ExD Sat 05-Jun-21 15:48:04

I find that a dress I like often looks better on me than one that the experts say 'suits' my petite busty figure. Its a shame firms with a petite range don't realise that most petite people come in larger sizes - over size 14s often don't exist.
I an take up a hem, but a waistline on the wrong place takes serious dressmaking skills to alter.

muse Sat 05-Jun-21 15:31:42

I do hope you find your maxi dress alltheglitterglue.

I'm wondering if you have the opposite problem from me. With models not being the same height as myself, I find the darts, bust line and waist are not where they should be, never mind the length.

I'm 6'1" and love dresses like the one Lucca posted but the under the bust line would be too high on me. Buying a maxi would become a midi for me .

Nana3 Sat 05-Jun-21 14:45:36

Lots of companies/makers give you the length in inches and centimetres, I like "Thought", give them a try. They do good sales too.

MiniMoon Sat 05-Jun-21 13:19:49

This is the maxi dress I ordered. It arrived this morning, I tried it on and it fits perfectly. It is ankle length on me and I'm 5' 3" tall. Has two side pockets, fairly fine cotton but not see through. DH liked it, and for warm days at home its perfect.

NotAGran55 Sat 05-Jun-21 07:53:45

The only way to know if it suits you is to try it smile

We all suit different styles, colours etc and have our own likes and dislikes. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks .

Please let us know how you get on if you go ahead with it .

Like you I’m petite, hourglass with 34g bust so fit and flare styles are the best.

Ellan Fri 04-Jun-21 22:34:01

So sorry alltheglitter...
I don't like the neckline, or the pattern on the dress
I am 5'2" and I go for plain every time
I buy midi length and they are maxi on me
I have just bought a Coast broderie anglaise dress, perfect length
But, do you know what, if you fancy it, go for it

mrswoo Fri 04-Jun-21 21:59:57

I’m just under 5 foot and I’m afraid I wouldn’t wear that dress. I feel that it would be a case of the dress wearing me as it’s too “busy” for a short person.
I like the dress that Lucca suggested - especially as it would hide the tops of my arms which are not a pretty sight!

Grandmafrench Fri 04-Jun-21 21:01:26

High neck makes you have a much bigger bosom !
The dress is on a 5'9" model - you'd seriously have to shorten one for your size
The chevron pattern is a bit busy and might swamp you at 5'

alltheglitterglue Fri 04-Jun-21 20:51:41

Grandmajean I agree with you that Boden’s petite range is good. My only complaint is that their dresses usually come in black, blue and 2 x pattern colour ways that I rarely like.

That said, I am going to look at their website now to see whether there is anything suitable there now.

M&S trousers are good, yes.

The shape of that dress would be good on me Lucca, as long as the v hits at a good point. The yellow flowers make it a no along with the fact that they don’t have my size in stock.

Thank you Mattsmum2 me too! xx

I know that the high neck would look good because I own some high neck dresses, as well as turtle neck tops, polo necks too. They suit me ??‍♀️.

Among many other things dresses that don’t suit me include the beautiful, voluminous trapeze-style dresses that are everywhere at the moment.

My Mum buys quite a lot from East Sara1954, she does look good in their clothes but as a result, I don’t ever look there. I will take a look now.

That would be very useful MiniMoon. I know that a lots of people seem to find good clothes on Amazon, but I’m never sure. It’s the sizing that I wonder about in particular.

My reason for looking at Ted Baker in the first place NotSpaghetti is that I have quite a few of their skater/fit and flare dresses so I know that they are guaranteed to fit and suit me. Whenever I buy anything from anywhere I always search first for the best price and the best offers.

The pattern is the thing that I’m wondering about. I own quite a few floral dresses and thought that it’s one of those dresses that will either really work or...it really won’t.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Jun-21 20:00:02

I like the pattern but the waist being elastic would be too hot for me and if, like me, you have a large bust the waist would probably move up to under the breasts!

If you like it though, why not try it? There's only the postage to lose. BTW it's on several websites so you may find one with free returns?

MiniMoon Fri 04-Jun-21 19:53:57

I'm 5' 3" and a size 14/16. Yesterday I ordered a maxi dress from Amazon. It's due to arrive tomorrow. If it fits nicely I'll post a picture and give you the information. There were two styles to choose from, and loads of different colours.

Elegran Fri 04-Jun-21 19:46:47

I suspect the paler top of the bodice will make your shouders look even wider, and your boobs look as though they continue up to your ears, but you will find out if that is true or not when you try it on.

CanadianGran Fri 04-Jun-21 19:30:11

I like the pattern of the material, it's not too busy for a small person, but I agree with others that the top of the dress could be unflattering. The neck is very high and the contrast ribbing makes it stand out. If it was v-necked it would be nice.

But you won't know if you don't try it, and if it captured your attention, then go for it.

Sara1954 Fri 04-Jun-21 19:17:32

Me too, don’t like the neckline at all.
I am five foot and half an inch, and wear long skirts and dresses all the time.
I do tend to be a bit more hippyish, I’ve just bought a dress from the East website. Haven’t really been keen on their new look, but this is long and flowing, white with black embroidery (having to have it taken up though)
There are actually quite a few nice long loose fitting dresses this year.

grannyrebel7 Fri 04-Jun-21 19:16:03

Love that dress you posted Lucca. Sorry don't like the Ted Baker one. Agree with everyone else's comments.

Blossoming Fri 04-Jun-21 19:08:40

I agree with everyone’s comments about the neckline. I’m 5ft 2ins, size 16 with FF bosoms. High neck dresses make them look like one huge uniboob!

Mattsmum2 Fri 04-Jun-21 19:03:38

alltheglitterglue

Mattsmum2 I only keep things that I love, but as someone who can’t be vaccinated yet allergies, waiting for hospital appointment I am only having shopping delivered at the moment. It is often difficult to know what I will love until I try something on.

Yes that’s what I do, try on in the comfort of your own home. Hope you find something fab soon xx

Lucca Fri 04-Jun-21 18:58:50

What about something like this from River Island. I gather the wrap neckline is good for busty ladies

Grandmajean Fri 04-Jun-21 18:58:36

I am 4ft 11 and tiny all over. It is really hard to get good quality Petite clothing. I have found Boden fits well and M and S Mia trousers are great as you can get them in numerous lengths. Alltheglitterglue if you know you look good in that style of dress then you should go for it. We learn ( not very quickly in my case ) what looks good on us.

Lucca Fri 04-Jun-21 18:55:14

I’m a short person too but no bust! Equally no waist so would not wear this

romaroot Fri 04-Jun-21 18:49:21

I'm 4ft 11 and have the same problem.
Sometimes I can get away with it, but the fit needs to be exact.
I used to like Bille and Blossom? (DP) or some things from Wallis, it's hard now.
I do sympathise.

alltheglitterglue Fri 04-Jun-21 18:01:14

Mattsmum2 I only keep things that I love, but as someone who can’t be vaccinated yet allergies, waiting for hospital appointment I am only having shopping delivered at the moment. It is often difficult to know what I will love until I try something on.

alltheglitterglue Fri 04-Jun-21 17:56:43

High necks and sleeves like that suit me.

V-necks aren’t necessarily the answer for me, the dip either needs to be low or barely there. I have broad shoulders, so a mid-dip v makes me look masculine but with breasts, or wider than I am.

Within a 30 minute drive we have an excellent haberdashery and lingerie shop. I go there, have a fitting and buy a few at least every year or two.

I’m specifically asking about the pattern on the dress in my link.