Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

To wear shorts out and about or just at home?

(61 Posts)
Bea65 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:42:50

Would you wear short shorts ? I like to wear shorts under midi dresses with slits at sides ...like to wear shorts at home but am not confident to wear out...

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 15:11:14

MayBee70

Lucca

BlueBelle

I still wear shorts, knee length, luckily my legs are still ok for an old un with no veins

Lucky you ! Many of my tennis playing friends of my age and older have marvellous legs….I blame my mother.

For some reason I inherited my dads legs (short fat varicose veins) and my mums hair (thin, very very thin….) sad

imagine if you’d had short fat hair and thin thin legs ?!

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 15:20:40

I’d look like something out of a Tim Burton film….

MiniMoon Fri 11-Jun-21 15:23:34

I haven't worn shorts for years. Not since developing prominent veins. I always had some blue veins near the surface of my skin, but they now stand out rather.
I wear wide cool trousers in the summer, but this year I've also invested in a couple of cotton dresses.
I'd say if you have the legs for them, wear your shorts wherever you want to.

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 15:34:57

Just a word of warning (I know, I always put a downer on things) but people tend to think skin cancer starts in the face but a lot of cases start in the legs, especially the back of the legs, because people don’t notice them and don’t put sunblock there. It happened to a friend of mine when she was quite young but, thankfully it was picked up on quite early.

LadyGracie Fri 11-Jun-21 15:55:17

Now I've shrunk back to a size 12 definitely.

rafichagran Fri 11-Jun-21 15:55:22

Wear them if you want too. I do not own a pair, only because I find them uncomfortable.

Puzzler61 Fri 11-Jun-21 16:14:56

I have 2 pairs and they go on holidays with me for by the pool and on the beach. I would wear them out and about if it was for a walk - but not for a shopping trip or lunch out.
My legs are ok, but a bit on the chubby side at the top and knees going a little saggy now. Probably fairly normal for my age.

Witzend Fri 11-Jun-21 16:23:26

I don’t wear any shorts at all any more - my legs are no longer things of beauty. When it’s hot I like loose cotton or linen trousers, which in any case are cooler than having the sun beating down on your skin. Or a long, loose dress.

If you actually like the sun beating down on you, that’s a different matter.

AGAA4 Fri 11-Jun-21 16:32:13

Shorts are fine as long as they aren't the very short ones that are little more than knickers.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Jun-21 16:34:38

I like cut off type shorts, but not short shorts.

Teenage girls with lovely slim figures, tanned legs in little denim shorts a la Baby in Dirty Dancing look great.

Oh to be young again!

Petera Fri 11-Jun-21 16:36:08

JaneJudge

grin at that photo of Boris Johnson! That is more about the whole outfit! I mean why that shirt with those shorts

He's probably wearing black socks with suspenders and lace-up black leather shoes.

Kali2 Fri 11-Jun-21 16:37:59

I am chubby, but have good lower legs, and good ankles and feet, toned and slim- so I like to wear Bermuda shorts, just over knee, or just below, in the garden or on holiday, but not in town.

aggie Fri 11-Jun-21 16:40:46

I have loose light cotton shorts , they are pj bottoms and I only wear them now that I live on my own an def only in the bedroom !

Nanagem Fri 11-Jun-21 17:00:38

I don’t wear shorts, don’t have the legs for them, sort and dumpy that’s me ?. I think if you have the legs wear them, we went out in the week and there was lots of flesh on show, some young some not so young. I think my hubby summed it up when he said, if you have it flaunt it, if you haven’t cover it ??. I doesn’t have the legs either, it’s not just women who should question shorts in my opinion

lemongrove Fri 11-Jun-21 17:17:40

JaneJudge

Wear shorts if you want to. I wear shorts, I wouldn't necessarily say they are short shorts. The ones I am wearing today are a bit like a skirt and come just above the knee.

Have you ever looked at ANYONE and thought they shouldn't be wearing shorts?

Yes Jane, many times.??

lemongrove Fri 11-Jun-21 17:18:45

I now have the song ‘ who wears short shorts? We wear short shorts.....’ in my head.Grrrr.

M0nica Fri 11-Jun-21 18:18:12

In reall hot weather I wear shorts. I was blessed with long slim legs and still have them, even if my body is shrunken and squat. so wear them fairly short but they are navy ones, and tailored, not light cotton ones. I am 77. DD, my sternest critic, says I look fine in them.

Kim19 Fri 11-Jun-21 18:46:46

I've no problem in wearing shorts but I seldom find it warm enough. I'm a right coldie.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 18:53:17

Petera

JaneJudge

grin at that photo of Boris Johnson! That is more about the whole outfit! I mean why that shirt with those shorts

He's probably wearing black socks with suspenders and lace-up black leather shoes.

you are very naughty grin but sounds plausible

Grandma70s Fri 11-Jun-21 19:10:59

lemongrove

JaneJudge

Wear shorts if you want to. I wear shorts, I wouldn't necessarily say they are short shorts. The ones I am wearing today are a bit like a skirt and come just above the knee.

Have you ever looked at ANYONE and thought they shouldn't be wearing shorts?

Yes Jane, many times.??

Agreed. I dislike shorts on older women, although I believe people should wear what they like, really. My brother, now in his eighties, tends to wear shorts all the time. He does have very good legs. Once when he was commuting into London in his working days a fellow passenger asked him what his boss thought of his dressing like that, to which he replied succinctly, “I am the boss.” (He was a university professor.)

I have long slim legs, possibly a bit too slim for shorts. I wouldn’t wear them anyway. I’ve disliked shorts ever since I was made to wear them for school games. Perhaps that association is why I dislike them.

PinkCakes Fri 11-Jun-21 20:23:29

I've never worn shorts in my life! I prefer trousers or long dresses. I think people should wear whatever they're comfortable in.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:25:32

I think people should wear what they want, I don’t personally like shorts but each to their own,

sodapop Thu 24-Jun-21 12:28:23

I used to wear shorts a lot but I have the same problem as Lucca my right leg is very unsightly due to varicose veins, my left leg is fine. I won't inflict the sight of my leg on the unsuspecting public. I see no reason why shorts should not be worn whatever your age if you have the legs for them.
( I also have the very thin hair Lucca)

muffinthemoo Thu 24-Jun-21 12:32:32

Life is too short to have sweaty legs in the summer. Plus, all that moisture is not good for yeast infections. Fresh air for all bums

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Jun-21 12:41:36

If it’s hot I’ll wear shorts. My legs aren’t too bad and I don’t suffer from varicose veins. I will be definitely wearing shorts tomorrow as I am seeing my physio.