Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shoes ever again?

(54 Posts)
MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 17:35:59

Apart from a couple (well 4 or so) pairs of “smart” shoes which in any case rarely see the light of day, I seem to live in trainers- dog walking trainers, white or blue smarter trainers and a new pair of taupe suede /nubuck trainers.
I can’t imagine ever wearing regular shoes again barring the very occasional formal occasion.
Boots in Winter, trainers or Birkies in Summer if it ever warms up again and that’s it.
I love shoes and used to run Imelda Marcos a close second, but those days are gone .
Am I alone? I suspect not!

crazyH Wed 30-Jun-21 17:42:44

Mawbe, you’re not alone. I love my Clark’s trainers. I have a few of them. I also have a couple of pairs of fancy slipons, which I use for ‘best’. The only thing is, I’.m short and my heeled shoes gave me some height. Never mind, that’s the way it goes ….too old to care ?

Blossoming Wed 30-Jun-21 17:49:48

I can’t walk in ballet flats, heels or wedges due to drop foot. I just wear what feels good now. I have some very comfortable and supportive M&S Footglove loafers that are about the closest I get to smart shoes.

greenlady102 Wed 30-Jun-21 17:53:30

not alone. I live in crocs or Birkies for posh. I have got two pairs of DM winter boots for really cold weather

cornishpatsy Wed 30-Jun-21 18:03:26

My smart shoes are smart trainers, gone are the days when I wear anything that I am not comfortable in.

I have a wedding to go to this year, my outfit will be decided by what goes with comfortable shoes not with the heels that I already have and really don’t know why I am keeping.

V3ra Wed 30-Jun-21 18:14:02

I'm not a fan of trainers as I have thin legs and size 6 feet, so they don't look very flattering!
I have moved to all flat shoes or boots though, my last remaining pairs of heels went in a charity bag last year.
I have a pair of Clarks gold leather ballet flats for "best," they look good and are extremely comfortable.

Lucca Wed 30-Jun-21 18:21:19

Ditto MAwbe. Pewter coloured Superga trainers, ditto rose gold , some ancient silver Ecco sandals, a few ballet flats plus boots.
Similar story with handbags,….only backpacks now!

MayBee70 Wed 30-Jun-21 18:23:07

I can’t remember the last time I wore anything other than Crocs, trainers or my Aqualamb boots when it’s wet. Cupboards full of shoes that will probably never be worn again but I can’t bear to send them to a charity shop. I will when I know for sure I won’t wear them.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Jun-21 18:26:19

I did fall down the trainers, Ugg’s or Birkenstock rabbit hole during lockdowns, I am now gradually introducing my feet to heels and nice shoes, they are not overly impressed!!!

Dryginger Wed 30-Jun-21 18:33:24

Just trainers for me and leggings. Cant wear anything with heels have a fused ankle and both knees replaced.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Jun-21 20:52:15

Shortly after I retired earlier this year, I went through my wardrobe to sort out business suits, shirts and shoes. Everything but the shoes went to the charity shop; I couldn't bear to part with the shoes, reasoning that "they'd come in for a smart occasion at some point". 3 months later, I can barely walk across the bedroom floor in them, let alone go out in them; they're so uncomfortable. So they went to the charity shop today. sad

MiniMoon Wed 30-Jun-21 23:15:06

I have Sketchers trainers and ankle boots that I love. A pair of waterproof walking shoes, sandals of many makes and styles, I must have about 8 pairs.
I have one pair of heels, in a dark brown, I bought them to go with a wedding outfit, wore them once, and have no idea why they are still in the bottom of my wardrobe.
I don't think I'll ever go back to wearing smart shoes.

BigBertha1 Thu 01-Jul-21 06:36:17

I am going the same way but I really miss nice shoes. Bilateral foot surgery has put paid to heels so now I never feel smart just dumpy and old.

grandMattie Thu 01-Jul-21 06:46:32

Having been brought up in the tropics, apart from school where we had to wear full shoes and socks, I’ve always hated wearing shoes. Hate the sweaty feel..
I wear them as little as possible, have very few pairs - knee boots for winter and sandals for summer. I horrify people by driving barefoot in summer!
I do have smart shoes but as I go out on occasions calling for them very rarely….

M0nica Thu 01-Jul-21 07:15:45

When I was at university in the era of the stiletto heel, someone identified me to a friend as 'You, know, the girl who always wears low heels'.

However, I do like a smart shoe, my MiL always admired my shoes, so although I wear mules, trainers, gardening shoes when at home, I do like to wear a smart pair of shoes when out, which means smart trainers, especially those with some bling trim, loafers, ballet flats, anything but shoes with heels that are more than an inch or two high.

BigBertha1 Look out for really smart shoes without heels, they are out there, no need to feel dumpy and old.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Jul-21 07:24:29

Maw not the only one, Skechers trainers for me, or flip flops. I found a pair of brand new M&S loafers the other day in the cupboard under the stairs, I don’t know when/if I’ll wear them. grandMattie I too drive barefoot at every opportunity and am often barefoot, hence filthy feet!

Kate1949 Thu 01-Jul-21 10:27:17

Maw How I miss my shoes! I have horrible feet with bunions. I absolutely loved shoes 'back in the day' - platforms, stilletos. I can still wear nice boots but have to opt for flat ballet pumps mostly. I have been watching repeats of Man About The House recently. The fashions make me so nostalgic, especially the shoes! I am same age as Paula Wilcox and am constantly talking to the TV, saying 'Oo I had a dress/trousers/shoes like that'. Happy days.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 01-Jul-21 10:54:37

I wear shoes most of the time - Hotter or Ecco flat lace ups. I find these fit better than trainers and are more comfortable than boots in the winter. I don't know what I will wear if I am invited to an event needing smart shoes now.

Worthingpatchworker Sun 04-Jul-21 11:31:30

Once again...I’m so glad I’m not the only one. I was a police officer for 30 years so wore flat, black, lace up shoes for work.....fashionable now but not then. As a consequence I rarely wore high heeled shoes. I am also reasonably tall, and definitely taller than my husband, so kitten heels are the best I can do here days. Add to that the fact the generation before mine wore high heel shoes with points which squeezed the feet and created ‘ugly’ feet, I’ve steered clear of them and wear flat shoes, sandals and boots. Oh, and, having had major surgery on one knee has given me a lazy leg so I can, easily, trip over a matchstick. One fall resulted in a fractured wrist.
I’m comfortable in flat shoes, I don’t need the height, and I prefer to walk properly......high heels aren’t for walking.
Actually, I also have a bit of a belief they are another way of being controlled by men.....there’s a radical thought.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:10:42

I’ve never understood the concept of wearing shoes that you can’t, if necessary, run in. Especially back in the day when I had small children. Not that I can run these days, although I was amazed at the speed I went when I thought I’d left my credit card in a shop once.

dragonfly46 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:16:25

I think I will still wear smart boots in the winter and sandals in the summer along with my trainers. I keep a couple of 'posh' shoes for wearing with dresses although I have just bought a pair of white plimsolls to wear with my latest dress.

tanith Sun 04-Jul-21 12:21:40

Snap dragonfly46 lots of different Skechers couple of heels that get worn to special do’s, wellies for rainy days and I just bought white Skechers ‘plimsoll’ types to wear with Summer dresses.

Rose56 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:30:34

smile

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jul-21 12:34:51

Trainers, sketchers, high tops DM s and fboots in the winter
I know you ll all go yuk but I buy lots from the charity shop many are brand new never worn and trainers are nearly always washable especially the canvassing type trainer got some grey Nikes this week

handbaghoarder Sun 04-Jul-21 12:36:26

Havent worn trainers since school 50 odd years ago. But I do live in boots. Mostly ankle boots with jeans/trousers. Red suede, purple suede, navy suede, black studded. Just love them. Wedge sandals if I must and for as short a time as possible. At home its Ugg style slippers from Next. Just love them too ?