Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair chalk

(19 Posts)
NanKate Mon 05-Jul-21 14:29:31

Have any of you ever tried hair chalk ? I fancy a few strands of semi permanent violet colour in my hair. Any recommendations?

My family will think I am ‘losing it’ but I don’t care. ?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 05-Jul-21 15:02:03

I bought a pack, but couldn’t get it to colour my hair, it just slid off, even though I rubbed the stick on really hard.

If you can find an alternative method to the sticks then they might work.

ExD Mon 05-Jul-21 15:06:00

Had you conditioned your hair Oops? Perhaps it 'protected' the strands from taking the colour?
I've never tried it, but often considered ......... Hmmmm?

shysal Mon 05-Jul-21 15:18:52

I tried some chalk colour once but it didn't take on my dark hair. I then tried streaks of L'Oreal Colorista wash-out red colour which took well and gradually faded over a few weeks. I keep meaning to do it again, I loved it! They have a good selection in Superdrug. Alternatively there are colour sprays, also by L'Oreal and others. Good luck!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203481997535?hash=item2f6078e0df:g:mfgAAOSw13RguOpL

shysal Mon 05-Jul-21 15:26:04

Here is a thread from that time.
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1250637-Pink-hair?pg=1#prettyPhoto

NanKate Mon 05-Jul-21 15:40:43

Thanks Sal. Really helpful. ?

I have had this longing for ages just to have a couple of violet streaks in my silver/blonde hair and think if I don’t do it now I never will.

ExD. We need to take the plunge ?

NanKate Mon 05-Jul-21 15:53:35

Just seen your beautiful hair Sal. It looked great with the subtle colours.

shysal Mon 05-Jul-21 18:49:54

The colour was actually quite bright, not shown well in the photos. I am more pepper and salt now, 3 years on.

Of course there are always clip-in coloured streaks (lots on Ebay), but not sure how they fix invisibly.

NanKate Mon 05-Jul-21 19:29:22

This is a whole new world to me. What fun.

Janiepops Mon 05-Jul-21 19:48:13

I bought a pack of hair crayons. Bit like waxy felt tips. I used red and blue yesterday, to match my glasses and necklace! It looked great my grandkids told me. It all washed out in the shower, so it’s not even semi permanent but that’s what I wanted. So easy to apply , hold a strand of hair up, and colour it with the felt tip, job done! Good luck experimenting ???

Millie22 Mon 05-Jul-21 20:34:13

I've never heard of hair chalk. Didn't know there was such a thing. I colour my hair but would love a few lighter strands near the front.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 05-Jul-21 20:58:49

I’ve never heard of hair chalk either, sounds like fun

Luckylegs Mon 05-Jul-21 21:46:42

I’m posting a photo of my hair that I’ve recently had done. I’d had it all bleached out and allowed it to go purely grey which was a bit ageing. So I had a few blonde streaks in which I was quite happy with but I fancied some colour. My hairdresser for many years tried to talk me out of it but I decided I’ve always been boring - never had a tattoo or any different piercings. So why not go mad and go for it? My hairdresser did suggest different coloured sprays. So I had the pink into my natural grey bits plus some blonde and some darker streaks to break it all up.

This is only a semi permanent but it does seem to be very strongly into it. It has actually faded a little over the last few days. The only thing I would say is I wish I’d chosen blue or a different colour as I’m having to make sure my outfit and my makeup is compatible with such a bright pink. I’ve had lots of favourable remarks and just my husband who says he gets a shock every time he looks at me!

Gwyneth Mon 05-Jul-21 21:51:59

I think your hair looks fabulous luckylegs and the pink is lovely.

Luckylegs Mon 05-Jul-21 22:16:19

Thank you so much. It is very nerve racking wondering what people will say. As I say, it will fade quite quickly and eventually go back to blonde streaks.

Gwyneth Mon 05-Jul-21 22:20:49

It’s good to have a change now and then and as you say luckylegs it does fade quite quickly if you don’t like it. But as I said it really looks great on you.

crazyH Mon 05-Jul-21 22:21:17

In these bland times, we need someone to make it exciting. Thanks Luckylegs. And btw, it looks super !!!!

Chewbacca Mon 05-Jul-21 22:39:07

I love it Luckylegs! I might be tempted to give it a whirl too.
I've let my hair colour revert to its natural grey/white but it's very uneven and not a nice light silver as I'd hoped. So I invested in a £2.99 tub of the Provoke hair mask and instead of leaving it on for the recommended 3 minutes, I left it on for 30 minutes. I've now got a lovely silvery/grey with a slight purple tinge. Bargain!

NanKate Tue 06-Jul-21 07:58:56

That’s fab Lucky. ?