Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eyebrows

(46 Posts)
NanKate Tue 13-Jul-21 07:30:00

Recently my eyebrows have become very patchy. Fortunately nowadays there is a plethora of pens, pencils, waxes to use. Do you have a favourite?

I want mine to look natural not like 2 slugs ?

Caleo Fri 15-Oct-21 10:43:39

I cut the long wiry straggly hairs so that I can use the pencil more neatly. I have discovered I look better with sad shaped eyebrows that don't slope down towards the bridge of my nose but form a straight line.

I still have not found a pencil colour that is light greyish brown. The light ones tend to be rather ginger.

Chardy Fri 15-Oct-21 10:31:37

NanKate Try Biotin tablets (vitamin B7)?

Cfaz49 Fri 15-Oct-21 10:04:15

I had alopecia and as a consequence my head hair has grown back but not my eyebrows. I have had them micro bladed by a very good technician. I have just had them done lightly so if I don’t wear makeup they look natural and I can add to them if I want to. My friends and family never even noticed but said how well I was looking, which was the effect I was hoping for.

Patsy70 Fri 15-Oct-21 09:47:03

I bit the bullet and had my eyebrows shaped and tinted at a pop in salon four weeks ago, as we were going to a wedding. I must say it was not an unpleasant experience, and my eyebrows still look good, in a subtle, understated way.

f77ms Fri 01-Oct-21 14:14:31

Ive tried lots but find using a touch of mascara brushed on with the wand looks most natural. I just wipe most of the mascara off and brush upwards.

NanKate Fri 06-Aug-21 15:37:41

Update just bought Benefit Gimme Brow and this is the most successful of all my attempts to return some eyebrows to my face. It volumizes and adds tiny bits to bulk out the eyebrow. A RESULT ?

FannyCornforth Fri 16-Jul-21 12:03:11

Their. Doh!

FannyCornforth Fri 16-Jul-21 12:02:41

Glimmer sticks are currently £3.50 from Avon
I’ve got a light brown one and a blonde one on there way today.
Thanks for the recommendations!
I will also be experimenting with bright scarlet lipstick for the first time in 35 years thanks to another thread

Fishpieplease Fri 16-Jul-21 09:57:34

Coolgran65 and lemongrove…thank you so much for suggesting the Avon Glimmerstick. I can’t get over how good it is,and so inexpensive! I hadn’t realised you could order Avon from Amazon.

V3ra Wed 14-Jul-21 21:39:32

murrec and Elleee another vote for microblading here ?
I had mine done four years ago and am so pleased with them still.

Elleee Wed 14-Jul-21 21:31:24

I also have had my eyebrows microbladed
I chose my beautician very, very carefully about five years ago and have since had a top up (they do fade over time)
It's a very scary thing to have tattoos on your face and I thought long and hard about before committing to it
The results are very natural and they are light brown, so not slug like at all, just a nice arch

Sardinia2020 Wed 14-Jul-21 20:49:49

Beauty Pie tinted eyebrow sculpting gel and Glossier boy brow are both excellent. They have a sort of mascara brush and it makes it really quick to sort out your eyebrows if you haven’t got the time to do lots of tiny pencil strokes which you have to do with a pencil.

lemongrove Wed 14-Jul-21 20:36:20

Coolgran65

I use Avon Glimmerstick Brow Definer in blonde. Works like a propelling pencil so no sharpening. My eyebrows have always been fair and now include grey. This works brilliantly. It looks pale but is great when it’s on. When using keep the point on show short.
On Amazon it’s under half price. Just yesterday I ordered 2 for £7 odds.

Yes, I use them too, they are excellent.
My eyebrows vanished a few years ago ( completely) due to a medical condition.At first I was miffed, but now don’t mind at all as they don’t have to be plucked and won’t go grey.

Funnygran Wed 14-Jul-21 20:07:13

I use Eylure Dybrow too and it lasts a few weeks. However because my eyebrows are so sparse I have to fill them in as the dye obviously doesn’t colour my skin. I’ve recently found a pen made by Maybelline called Tattoo Brow and it fills them in really naturally. The pen end is a stiff little comb which gives a hair like effect on my brows. I can’t stand a thick unnatural looking line.

murrec Wed 14-Jul-21 19:15:16

I have struggled with very sparse eyebrows for years and tried all sorts of pencils and powders without success. Six weeks ago I had my eyebrows tattooed, think it’s called microblading. I did make sure the lady knew I wanted them to be subtle and I absolutely love them. I have had lots of compliments and so pleased I plucked up the courage to have them done.

jmor Wed 14-Jul-21 12:51:50

I used Dybrow dye kit by Eylure London for the first time recently. It's really easy to use and although it says to leave it on for 5 - 10 minutes I only left it on for about 1-2 minutes which was just right for me.

Nannashirlz Wed 14-Jul-21 11:44:20

I use Bobby browns and I found her line on QVC, but that’s the fun of them if you don’t like the make up etc you can return and that way you don’t have a draw full of unwanted make up. I also benefit and bare minerals. I use them then take a photo of myself and look to see if it’s fine or scary lol. If you go online lots of videos to watch on how to apply.

Coolgran65 Tue 13-Jul-21 18:12:14

I use Avon Glimmerstick Brow Definer in blonde. Works like a propelling pencil so no sharpening. My eyebrows have always been fair and now include grey. This works brilliantly. It looks pale but is great when it’s on. When using keep the point on show short.
On Amazon it’s under half price. Just yesterday I ordered 2 for £7 odds.

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Jul-21 17:52:02

I was advised by a makeup artist to use Mac eye shadow and a good eye brow brush.

sodapop Tue 13-Jul-21 17:43:10

Same here silverlining my eyebrows seem to have migrated to my upper lip.
Why do the hairs left on my eyebrows stick out at right angles. The only saving grace hair wise is that I don't have to shave my legs and underarms very often now.

NanKate Tue 13-Jul-21 15:44:58

I’ve just been out and bought the Benefit eyebrow pencil, the one with a point for the sides and a flat bit for filling in and I am pleased with the results. Thanks for the advice. ?

Liz46 Tue 13-Jul-21 15:37:01

A friend has wild, grey eyebrows. I wonder why one of her daughters hasn't suggested trimming them.

Unfortunately as I get more grey hairs, mine are going that way too! I brush them up towards my forehead and them carefully trim them.

M0nica Tue 13-Jul-21 15:01:36

For eyebrows: beautician who tints and shapes

For facial hair: electrolysis

TrendyNannie6 Tue 13-Jul-21 14:29:00

I find eyebrows fascinating so many different ones, some scary like the scouse brow for one, also the slug shape ones, and the other ones that make me smile are the ones that have just a thin line drawn on, it is difficult though when you lose brow hair through illness, it’s hard to get it right sometimes, misadventure you have made me giggle, my own have lost the ends so I have to compromise and use brow powder due to hypothyroidism, sometimes you just have to make the most of what you have!

May7 Tue 13-Jul-21 14:20:42

Another vote here for Benefit Gimmee brow