Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Facial

(13 Posts)
NanKate Fri 16-Jul-21 06:57:58

About every 2 years I treat myself to a professional facial. I did this recently in the village where my son lives. Usually I notice my skin is a lot smoother and hydrated after the procedure. However this time zilch, what a waste of money.

Last night I used a Simple face mask that I had put in the fridge followed by an under eye mask for a further 15 mins. Well this morning my skin seems moisturised and certainly a lot better than the expensive treatment.

I shall certainly do my own facial at home again.

Anyone else use the home kits?

Esspee Fri 16-Jul-21 07:12:10

I tried this type of pampering in my distant youth but have no longer the inclination to spend money (especially on salon treatments) when any improvement is only temporary.

fairfraise Fri 16-Jul-21 08:16:57

It's many years since I used a face mask, the ones in a sachet, but recently I tried an under eye mask. It was left over from a Christmas present. After 15 mins lying down with radio on it did make my eyes look brighter!

EileenCl Sun 18-Jul-21 10:51:54

I have never been a pamperer, but I do like regular skincare. A good morning and evening routine (cleanse, moisturise and morning sun block) and a weekly exfoliation and overnight mask. I never go to a salon because I have Rosacea and so I understand my own skin best. And as for manicures - just at Christmas, the only time my nails are any good after gardening all year from February to November!

BigBertha1 Sun 18-Jul-21 10:58:20

I always do the three step cleanse , tone , nourish night and morning with a good brand ( in my case Clarins) and it keeps my skin well. Now and again I have a facial but quite honestly the prices have gone up so much I dont know if I will have another. apart from the relaxation they dont seem to make a lot of difference. what I need is something more INVASIVE. grin

amwelljulia Sun 18-Jul-21 11:07:33

I have had regular facials over the years but my beautician has moved away and I don't think I can be bothered to find another. Can anyone recommend a good home facial? I use Clarins for moisturising and eye care.

Theoddbird Sun 18-Jul-21 11:33:41

I use a good toner every morning and Aveeno Baby soothing cream twice a day. Keeps my skin soft and moisturized. Not expensive either.

Alioop Sun 18-Jul-21 12:04:12

I use a Nivea energising mask weekly and cleanse, tone & moisturise every day. Never have had a facial done by a professional in my life. Always have sunblock on my face, even freezing winter days cos of the cold wind.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:13:26

No, don’t use them, did use quite a few in my teens though,

Bluedaisy Sun 18-Jul-21 12:50:53

If you have a large Boots the chemist near you they do very good facials by the Clarins beauticians in store. You pay a nominal sum of money but if you buy a product of theirs after the facial that money gets taken off the bill so the facial ends up being free!

Madwoman11 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:21:25

I used to go for facials, but not anymore.
I exfoliate once a week and use moisturiser that has a spf 30 during the summer and spf 15 other times

DebKell29 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:36:21

I love going to my local salon for a facial - it's a little treat for myself. I go every 6 weeks. I cleanse, tone, moisturise and exfoliate at home too.

Hetty58 Sun 18-Jul-21 15:45:41

I just wash my face with water and it's fine. I know moisturisers only have a short-term plumping effect and exfoliation isn't recommended for mature skin. I do use sun block, though, if I'm going out - because I know it actually works!

My friend does the cleanse, tone, moisturise and has regular facials. She believes it keeps the skin 'young', complete rubbish, of course.