Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tights, forgotten how uncomfortable they are!

(142 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 29-Jul-21 18:24:10

I have just come back from a funeral. This has meant for the first time in years I have worn a dress and the dreaded tights. I had forgotten how uncomfortable they are! I am rather overweight ( size 16 / 18). I never know whether to go for pull everything in ones, or let it all hang loose ones. Then they roll over at the top and slide down at the crotch. Pulling them up is undignified and usually means I stick my finger through them. I am at a wedding on Saturday so have to go through the whole tight wearing scenario again! Any hints or advice anyone? I even contemplated wearing knickers over my tights!! Thank you. Xx

Kim19 Thu 29-Jul-21 18:29:47

Well.....if I were you, I would be trying one size larger. That's all. Good luck and enjoy your wedding irrespective of this. I'm very envious. Haven't been to a good old shindig since Covid began.

JaneJudge Thu 29-Jul-21 18:33:57

snag tights are life changers, they are SO comfortable and take into account weight/height

here

MissChateline Thu 29-Jul-21 18:37:23

Sorry but if I were you I would be trying to reduce a little so this wasn’t an issue in the future.

JaneJudge Thu 29-Jul-21 18:43:31

well MissChateline the wedding is on Saturday so I don't think she has much choice other than having to chop her own legs off. It has been ignored for years that women have been getting taller. Tights are ill designed at best, as are bras

Riverwalk Thu 29-Jul-21 18:46:50

You probably need to buy better quality and the correct size.

MissChateline Thu 29-Jul-21 18:49:31

Janejudge, taller, ok, wider though may be the issue. Bras remain the same size, boobs get bigger. Give in or do something about it……that is the eternal question…..

MissAdventure Thu 29-Jul-21 18:55:21

Just buy huge tights and be done with it. smile

lemongrove Thu 29-Jul-21 18:58:41

I hate tights and have been wearing sheer stockings ( when the occasion demands ‘leg coverings’) for years, so comfortable.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 29-Jul-21 19:00:54

I’ve never really liked tights to be honest, I’ve never found a nice fitting pair yet, I’m quite tall and was a size 16/18, haven’t worn tights for about 20 years , and I’ve tried expensive ones and cheaper ones, so I feel your pain, I’ve never heard of snag tights janeJudge, so it’s good to know, but I have been known to snag several when pulling up ?

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Jul-21 19:10:50

I think the advice to buy a bigger size is good. I’m a 10/12 (more 12 at the moment if I’m honest grin) and always buy large size tights. Medium are just too skimpy.

Saying that, I think I’ve only worn tights twice since last March - a nice glittery pair on Christmas Day and another pair at Easter. Standards are certainly slipping round here….

Artaylar Thu 29-Jul-21 19:25:27

Hold ups might be worth a try. I've been wearing them for years and find them pretty comfortable.

Have a lovely day on Saturday.

Septimia Thu 29-Jul-21 19:40:58

I gave up on tights years ago as I was fed up with them either slipping down so that the crotch hobbled me or "cutting my throat" if I pulled them up. Some hold-ups don't - they slip down, but if you can find some good ones they are much more comfortable.

Blossoming Thu 29-Jul-21 20:40:44

I can’t get tights on thanks to uncooperative limbs on left side. Yes, I’ve tried those weird contraptions that care shops sell, they don’t help. Holdups, over the knee socks, leggings or bare legs for me, depending what I’m wearing them with. Black leggings with ankle boots look like tights anyway.

Missedout Thu 29-Jul-21 20:47:27

Probably too late now for Saturday but why must you wear tights for a wedding? Why not opt for longish, summery skirt or wide leg trousers? Or if you must show your legs, fake tans are effective and subtle these days.

I would suggest you ditch the tights and enjoy yourself!

muse Thu 29-Jul-21 21:04:01

JaneJudge

snag tights are life changers, they are SO comfortable and take into account weight/height

here

These get a massive yes from me. I'm tall (6'1") and a good size 18. Snag tights are brilliant.

Millie22 Thu 29-Jul-21 21:13:17

I never wear tights in the summer months as they are uncomfortable when it's warm. Why not try some loose wide leg trousers. They are very popular just now and look really nice.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Jul-21 21:15:32

Missedout I’d ditch the tights at this time of year too, if cooler I’d wear opaques, getting me out of jeans/shorts into a dress would be the biggest challenge!

grannyrebel7 Thu 29-Jul-21 21:22:19

I wouldn't bother with tights. Just go bare legged. I'm sure you won't be wearing a short dress, will you? You'll definitely be more comfortable.

NotAGran55 Thu 29-Jul-21 21:58:35

Another Snag fan here too . They really do fit everyone, I’m size 12 and 5’ 1”.

MoorlandMooner Thu 29-Jul-21 22:06:51

MissChateline

Sorry but if I were you I would be trying to reduce a little so this wasn’t an issue in the future.

If you've just been to a funeral Lizbethann the last thing you need to be doing is wasting your time worrying about calories.

Have a slice of cake, have two slices!!

I agree with the advice to buy a bigger pair of tights.

Sara1954 Thu 29-Jul-21 22:17:42

I love tights, one of the more pleasant things about autumn is that I can snuggle into my tights again.

MayBee70 Thu 29-Jul-21 22:24:42

I’m actually quite petite and have never been massively overweight albeit having weight that does go up and down. But on the rare occasion when I’ve had to look smart eg a wedding my biggest problem has always been finding tights that cover my huge legs but don’t go up to my neck as I’m quite short. I’ve even got down to over 7 stone before now and still haven’t been able to find tights that fitted me. I wish Snag tights had been invented 50 years ago. I’ve literally got boxes if tights that I’ve bought over the years looking for some that fit me.

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Jul-21 22:39:23

I've more or less stopped wearing skirts and dresses. I now only possess two skirts and both are long enough that I can get away with knee highs. Trousers are so much more comfortable. There are plenty of smart dressy trouser styles for weddings and funerals.

Lizbethann55 Thu 29-Jul-21 23:19:20

Thanks for all the ideas. I spend all my time in trousers and usually have to wear a compression sock on my right foot, which I ditch for special occasions. It was nice to wear a dress today, and I have a lovely dress for the wedding. It will be lovely to feel dressy for a change. I just hope I don't end up wriggling around and secretly hoiking up my tights. I have several pairs in several sizes, so will just see what feels best. Mind you, the weather forecast for London on Saturday isn't looking good, so I may wish I was in my Jean's!!