Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

"Care home chic"

(59 Posts)
Yammy Sun 28-Nov-21 13:27:17

Today I dressed as advised and bought by dd's. Pink cardigan, Grey tweed trousers and zebra print socks.
When I asked DH what he thought he answered "Care home chic."
What would your answer have been to him mine unfortunately is unprintable, but the Einstein hair is booked to be cut and new jumpers ordered from John Lewis along with trousers that fit him now not 20 years ago.

Calistemon Mon 29-Nov-21 10:13:48

No more pink cardigans the one before he called me Agnes off Mrs Brown's boys.

What an insult! I'd have socked him one with the Hush socks for that

Amalegra Mon 29-Nov-21 12:25:42

I would have immediately gone and got changed into an uber glamorous outfit complete with lots of slap and, sashaying into the room, asked if he thought that more appropriate! I did this very same thing once when my now (thankfully!) ex-husband made a rude comment about how ugly and boring I was! Thing was, he actually meant it though and I guess this lady’s husband was being somewhat tongue in cheek!

Riggie Mon 29-Nov-21 12:32:36

PamelaJ1

Not sure what my answer would be but are you sure you have the right husband? I think you may have borrowed mine!
At least they have hair?

Mine has scruffy hair and beard. He calls it his old testament prophet look, at least he has stopped telling new work contacts he meets on zoom that it is not his covid/working from home look but he always looks like that. He does. His jeans fit but are what we refer to as "religious", in other words they are hole-y!! And at his age ripped jeans are not trendy!!

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 12:39:06

grin
I think your husband sounds great, yammy.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Nov-21 12:46:04

I would personally never wear pink and grey together and never in any circumstances zebra print socks, so I tend to sympathise with your husband here, although unless his remark was made in a tone of voice that implies that he would really rather see you in nothing at all, it was unkind.

My answer would probably have been, "Why don't you come and take it off me then, if you think it looks so dreadful?"

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 12:47:47

I think there's a song there "You can leave your socks on"...

ALANaV Mon 29-Nov-21 12:50:41

Ha ....a lady from our road went into a care home ......she wears designer clothes, HIGH HEELS (how she doesn't trip over I don't know !) has her hair coloured every month and even wears jewellery every day that is care home chick ..........can't wait to get in (well, IF I had the nearly £5,000 she pays every month that is !!!! When I go into my cardboard box on the street I'll be glad of someone giving me an overcoat shock

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 13:26:26

Blimey! She sounds a tad OTT!

Lucca Mon 29-Nov-21 13:29:08

Grand’ tante pink and grey are lovely together !
But there are pink cardigans and pink cardigans …

Lucca Mon 29-Nov-21 13:34:17

Voilà

kittylester Mon 29-Nov-21 13:37:13

Quite, Lucca. I love pink and grey.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 13:54:15

Me too. In fact there’s a lot of it in my house.

lemongrove Mon 29-Nov-21 14:33:35

Agree, pink and grey do look good ( although none in my many wardrobes) will have to buy some now.

lemongrove Mon 29-Nov-21 14:36:37

I like the idea of zebra socks.
Are onesies still in fashion? You could go the whole hog ( to keep the animal theme going,)?
DD’s both roam around their respective houses in animal onesies in Winter.

Rosalyn69 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:39:08

His comment was clever though. If my husband had said that I would have laughed.

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 14:45:44

It reminds me of The Royle Family.
The type of thing Jim would say. smile

Yammy Mon 29-Nov-21 14:55:08

MissAdventure

It reminds me of The Royle Family.
The type of thing Jim would say. smile

You've got him in one. I must say "OH L..."20 times a day. He was no different with his parents I knew what I was getting and most of the time I do laugh but I thought I looked so on "trend" yesterday I nearly threw something.smile

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 15:06:06

smile
You can't beat a bit of micky taking for having a laugh.

Lucca Mon 29-Nov-21 15:08:35

Yammy I think we must see this outfit …OH may be very wrong !

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 15:15:46

And if he's not, well we can take the micky as well. wink

Blossoming Mon 29-Nov-21 15:26:43

I have some lovely pink and grey Argyle cashmere socks and the colours definitely work well together smile

I’m not a fan of animal prints of any kind, never have been.

Amberone Mon 29-Nov-21 17:18:39

MissAdventure

And if he's not, well we can take the micky as well. wink

??

Amberone Mon 29-Nov-21 17:24:13

Not a great fan of pink and grey in general. Saw a lady this morning in a knitted pink and grey bobble hat, scarf and mask. The bobble hat was beautiful (just in case she's reading ? ), sadly the mask not so much. But she had cleverly sewn buttons on the sides of her hat so the mask could be attached to that.

No zebra print socks though.

GraceQuirrel Mon 29-Nov-21 17:53:37

Your husband sounds hilarious (and I work in a care home and he’s about right, especially if your trousers have had a row with your socks!).

Riverwalk Mon 29-Nov-21 18:01:50

How different we all are.

Yammy sounds like your husband's comment was in genuine jest.

has her hair coloured every month and even wears jewellery every day

For the life of me I can't think what's wrong with this!

Ivory silk shirt - sounds grim and very old lady to me!

Zebra socks - I'm OK with these