Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

New fashion women's jeans.

(181 Posts)
Lillian40 Thu 30-Dec-21 16:24:22

At last wider leg jeans, lets be honest, how many older women look good in tight or narrow leg jeans.. Even some younger women would do themselves a favour and not show of the huge hips' and unshapely legs. We cant all look like models. I have walked behind bandy legs, bowie legs, spindle legs and fat legs. Not a pretty sight. How much more feminine we will all look in the wider leg jeans. The problem is where do you purchase them, they are promoted but in which store.???

tanith Thu 30-Dec-21 16:28:30

I for one don’t like wide leg trousers/jeans I find the flapping about annoying much prefer fitted trousers and jeans.
Each to their own whatever suits you.

Hithere Thu 30-Dec-21 16:29:40

What a judgy thread - I hope you do not say this in public to anybody

If you do not like to look at legs that are not of your taste, do not look or get another route.

Please spare those women of your unneccessary and unrequested view of them

Women are supposed to support each other, not be our worst enemy

Grandmabatty Thu 30-Dec-21 16:30:08

I'm very short so wide legged trousers look ridiculous on me. I'll stick with my fitted jeans.

Lilypops Thu 30-Dec-21 16:31:31

I like a nice pair of black palazzo trousers, I always feel very comfortable and smart when I go out wearing them. , I have gone off skinny jeans ,

Galaxy Thu 30-Dec-21 16:34:40

Crikey I am going to be a bit anxious going out in jeans now. Will be wondering if there will be some odd person behind me judging my legs.

Granniesunite Thu 30-Dec-21 16:35:46

?

Casdon Thu 30-Dec-21 16:38:52

Is this a wind up? Wide legged jeans are very unflattering unless you are above 5’8’’ and below a size 12, so no thanks from me.

MiniMoon Thu 30-Dec-21 16:44:46

I recently bought straight leg jeans from Damart. Side elasticated waist. They are very comfortable and look quite smart enough to go out to the pub in.
I also bought a pair of straight leg corduroy trousers from Seasalt. Flat front with side buttons. A bit more dressy than my jeans.

Nightsky2 Thu 30-Dec-21 16:53:46

I do not like wide leg trousers. I’m sticking with my slim look jeans.

grannyrebel7 Thu 30-Dec-21 16:58:09

Used to love flares back in the day, but can't wear wide leg jeans now. Much prefer skinnies, but not too skinny.

Kathy73 Thu 30-Dec-21 17:02:06

Lillian40

At last wider leg jeans, lets be honest, how many older women look good in tight or narrow leg jeans.. Even some younger women would do themselves a favour and not show of the huge hips' and unshapely legs. We cant all look like models. I have walked behind bandy legs, bowie legs, spindle legs and fat legs. Not a pretty sight. How much more feminine we will all look in the wider leg jeans. The problem is where do you purchase them, they are promoted but in which store.???

Do you have a pic of yourself in jeans to show us?!

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 30-Dec-21 17:15:37

Straight leg for me, I don’t mind wide trousers in the Summer but can’t stand them flapping around in the Winter.

Elizabeth27 Thu 30-Dec-21 17:15:46

I won't be wearing them as I am 5’3 but each to their own.

Scotsmum Thu 30-Dec-21 17:24:41

Hesitated before posting but I feel I have to say something about this seemingly innocuous post instead of just scrolling past. It makes me question a few assumptions.

Just wondering why on earth it should matter to anyone what shape anyone else is? Where is this code to be found that I or other women are supposed to be holding to?

As a child I had enough prejudice from my own father (telling me I was a yard of pump water; then post-puberty, instructing me to stick my chest out because I had barely got one; often slapping my rear and chortling that it would make an excellent bookshelf) and mother, who frequently told me what problems I caused her because my arms were too long - same with my waist, apparently, and to be sure to hide my scraggy neck with a scarf - and to use peroxide on my upper lip and teeth...is it any wonder I had zero self esteem and body image - and still, 60 years later, struggle massively with it?

It would be interesting to hear if you ever judge the many shapes of men in the same way. Or do females have an unwritten obligation to either delight all their beholders (which men escape) or render themselves invisible because they failed in the model stakes?

I find it really sad that the perpetuation of stereotypes and stigma is still going on. I am also sad that I can still be the unwitting cause of disgust in others, but secure at least that it is not my problem any longer but entirely theirs. sorry for the rant. A nerve was touched.

Galaxy Thu 30-Dec-21 17:31:57

I am sorry that happened to you Scotsmum flowers. Please dont apologise for 'the rant' I thought it expressed things much better than my sarky comments.

kjmpde Thu 30-Dec-21 17:35:44

i think straight leg jeans are better than drain pipes or tight leggings.

Yammy Thu 30-Dec-21 17:44:21

I think we are old enough to wear the trousers or jeans we feel comfortable in. M&S do a good range and you can get slight flares or wide usually in three leg lengths.

Lucca Thu 30-Dec-21 17:46:09

Wide leg jeans ?? No thanks.
Straight or fitted are more flattering provided you team them with an appropriate length shirt /sweater etc.

Agree with a lot of what you say Scotsmum. Resonates with me !

Lucca Thu 30-Dec-21 17:48:33

Like these ? She’s young slim and very tall. Imagine on someone about 5’4”…..?

Lucca Thu 30-Dec-21 17:48:56

Photo

Kathy73 Thu 30-Dec-21 17:50:14

Well said, Scotsmum

merlotgran Thu 30-Dec-21 18:00:29

Bootcuts for me.

rafichagran Thu 30-Dec-21 18:00:55

What a horribly judgemental Original post. I do not wear skinny jeans even though they looked good when I tried then on, I just find them uncomfortable.
People are all shapes and sizes, and dont need your input on what they wear.
If you had just asked about where you could get the flared trousers you would have had a better reaction. The rest of your post was just spiteful and pointless.

Zennomore Thu 30-Dec-21 18:03:10

@Lillian40 and all those legs that offended you so much got the women they belonged to their work, to visit their elderly parents, to collect their children from school etc.
What an unpleasant post ?