Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Non wired bras

(88 Posts)
Shawlands2000 Wed 26-Jan-22 21:35:33

Anyone else disappointed by the range of non wired bras available? My favourite non wired bra has been discontinued by M&S and I am struggling to find a substitute. Lingerie departments are full of pretty bras but they are nearly all wired. Why aren't those who prefer a non wired option offered a better choice?

storynanny Thu 27-Jan-22 18:25:56

Yes, there are sellers on eBay with discontinued /overstock bras. I’ve just bought a couple for half original price

MerylStreep Thu 27-Jan-22 18:34:18

Storynanny
Well done ? It makes so much sense to look there first. Bras aren’t cheap.

OnwardandUpward Thu 27-Jan-22 18:35:17

I've bought some unwired bras in Asda (George) too and they are pretty good (came in a pack of two) as long as you don't keep them too long! Oops.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:35:50

David Neiper . I’ve just bought a wireless bra and it is incredibly comfortable. Will get a couple more.

OnwardandUpward Thu 27-Jan-22 18:37:30

PS I went to M&S with the intention of buying a bra, but the first box I opened contained a yukky very second hand bra . The shop assistant said it happens loads because people steal the bras by wearing the new one home. I was so disgusted that I haven't tried shopping in an actual shop again and lost the will to carry on shopping at that point!

Jane71 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:46:31

Disapointed with M&S here as well. I used to buy their non-wired cross your heart bras, but they don't sell them any more. When I asked them why they said their latest ones were better.
Not for me.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Jan-22 19:07:00

They look nice Janejudge but they look padded
Why do they pad them all, anyone C and over don’t need padded bras

JaneJudge Thu 27-Jan-22 19:16:39

they are a bit padded but it is more for comfort rather than those cup pads things

diygran Thu 27-Jan-22 19:50:39

I can never get a bra to fit in M & S. As a B cup the best fit I've found is Triumph Doreen. Mind you I'm so fat now that back extenders are needed.
Am with OP, if anyone knows of good cheaper range, would be glad to know.

Serendipity22 Thu 27-Jan-22 20:03:22

Ohhhhh after this mornings carry on I wholeheartedly welcome NONE WIRED bras.

Explanation
At some unearthly hour i turned over in bed, must have been ½ asleep, felt a stabbing in my boob, i pushed the wire back in its rightful place, it poked out of the tear, i pushed it back, it poked out again (( alllll this was at some stupid, mental early hour )

I ended up pulling the flippin wire out and lunged it across the bedroom hahaha. Sooooo, yes, i wholeheartedly welcome the NONE wired brasserie.

Grrrrrr

angry

nandad Thu 27-Jan-22 20:33:05

BlueBelle, I am rather large and it’s more comfortable to wear a bra in bed. I do agree it’s so nice to not feel trussed up, so I usually take my bra off late in the evening when I’m watching TV.
My mum’s biggest wish for me, other than being happy, was to have small boobs!

MiniMoon Thu 27-Jan-22 20:50:41

www.royce-lingerie.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAosmPBhCPARIsAHOen-NKObYAwbyqXO30hZxf8iheScMbgVIicAaAbDghjYeldxzfiwWW24MaAt4SEALw_wcB

Best bras I've ever bought came from Royce.

midgey Thu 27-Jan-22 21:33:39

Debenhams have a good sale on bras at the moment. Obviously it’s on line.

Woodmouse Thu 27-Jan-22 21:44:01

I never wear underwired bras and discovered Naturana bras about 15 years ago. They do underwired and non underwired and I now wouldn't buy any other. You can get them on Amazon. They are so comfortable and very reasonable price wise. I think they are manufactured by a German company.

Casdon Thu 27-Jan-22 22:03:33

There are over 50 non wired bras on M&S online, I think you’d have to be very fussy not to be able to find something there that suited you - the stores don’t carry the full range, but I use M&S online for most things these days - you can order several styles and return the ones that you don’t like.

Blossoming Thu 27-Jan-22 22:24:41

I need a FF Casdon and M&S don’t stock them, unfortunately. It’s not hard to find FFs, just they’re never inexpensive.

Casdon Thu 27-Jan-22 22:32:21

I can imagine Blossoming, it must be annoying to have to pay more just because of your size - not a fair system.

midgey Fri 28-Jan-22 11:33:26

Lots of sizes in Debenhams definitely worth a look at half price.

Dylant1234 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:39:15

I’m 69 and I’ve stopped wearing bras altogether - BLISS! I don’t give a t* that they’re somewhere around my waist ? not my problem …..

win Fri 28-Jan-22 11:39:40

If anyone wants a 32B pretty underwired bra brand new, let me know I have 4 and just cannot wear wired bras any longer. They truly are killing as you get older

TBsNana Fri 28-Jan-22 11:42:32

Try Triumph - I've had similar M and S issues and have moved on!

GrammaH Fri 28-Jan-22 12:00:27

I don't wear bras unless I'm going out somewhere special - I have costochondritis which makes me feel I'm wearing a tight fitting bra even when I've not got one on at all. On the rare occasions I do put one on, I've got some very pretty un-wired ones with matching knickers that I've bought from Damart of all places. They're really very attractive and often available at a ridiculously low discounted price.

spabbygirl Fri 28-Jan-22 12:00:30

I'm the same, I just don't do underwired bras. I asked the assistant in M&S why bras had a bit of wire and she very sniffily told me you get a much better shape and profile with wire. I can't tell the difference to look at. Lots of unwired bras are really just straps of elasticated lace and work by pushing your boobs against your chest, not supporting, and are horribly tight and uncomfortable to wear, then there are lots of rather beautiful nursing bras which have all sorts of extras that we don't need, then you get the non-wired bras that are meant for older age groups that don't have so many colours and aren't so pretty. I liked the Royce bras that someone mentioned here so I'll try that, I got one on eBay as someone else suggested here

nipsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 12:05:12

I don't really care how non pretty the bra looks. I am the only one who sees it. I just need comfort at a reasonable price. I've worn the same M&S bra for at least 30 years. I'll be very unhappy if they stop selling it.

SewnSew Fri 28-Jan-22 12:17:20

I want to know why almost all bas - wired or not wired, fasten at the back? I find the Glamourise front-fastening bras much easier to manage but the pretty ones are underwired.