Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Non wired bras

(88 Posts)
Shawlands2000 Wed 26-Jan-22 21:35:33

Anyone else disappointed by the range of non wired bras available? My favourite non wired bra has been discontinued by M&S and I am struggling to find a substitute. Lingerie departments are full of pretty bras but they are nearly all wired. Why aren't those who prefer a non wired option offered a better choice?

Milest0ne Fri 28-Jan-22 18:40:41

Has anybody found a good front fastening bra. ?

Coolgran65 Fri 28-Jan-22 18:58:45

Silverlining a wired bra is cut differently from a non wired bra. I’ve tried removing the wire and it renders them totally shapeless and useless.
I’m large of boobies but not across the back and have found a Fantasie underwired bra that is comfort personified and pretty. The wires go well back at the side and no digging in.
A pleasure to wear and it does get well tested by my HHS. Underwing is different from one style and manufacturer to another and it takes trial and error.

Being larger up front I do often use Bravissimo (they also stock other brands) and if a bra is uncomfortable in any way they will refund without issue.

Coolgran65 Fri 28-Jan-22 18:59:49

Ooops- underwiring

Blossoming Fri 28-Jan-22 19:34:19

The Royce bras look good.

Oofy Sat 29-Jan-22 02:15:37

Got given a voucher for bra fitting and bra at Rigby and Peller in London a few years ago. They used to have the royal warrant for bras a few years ago but it got taken away. Weird experience- no measuring involved. The fitter sizes you up visually then comes out with the right size bra, which can be a totally different size than you thought you were. They had a very limited range of non-wired, but what I got was extremely comfortable but not exactly budget.
Since then I have found non-wired bras from the same brand, Anita and Rosa Faia in the Bella Di Notte catalogue/website. The Ample Bosom website also has a very good selection for larger sizes, as the name suggests

Nannan2 Sat 29-Jan-22 03:47:40

The M&S flexifit bras are very good especially crop top style.so soft and flexible and yet have support- ive had some pain in chest on/off but i tried wearing these night(dont normally wear a bra in bed) and day and its eased off.

Sallywally1 Sat 29-Jan-22 04:50:22

I mentioned on the health boards about this. I have suffered from an excruciatingly painful shoulder for months now. Scan revealed a tear. I have tried all sorts of bras and agree about the horrible underwired sort. I have recently found some comfortable, basic ones from evans. (Some people would say I should lose a couple of stones!). The great thing I have discovered, as someone who cannot reach behind to do them up without crying, is that they can be done up first and then pulled on.

Why did I not think of this before. Shoulder a bit better, but the reason why I am awake now at this ungodly hour, is because,of pain!

seacliff Sat 29-Jan-22 06:44:27

This works for me, as a larger lady ... but not glam. Does the job and is not agony to wear
direct.asda.com/george/women/lingerie/bras/nude-lace-trim-non-wire-support-bra/GEM801252,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M18G2C1?shareProduct=true

Jane71 Sun 30-Jan-22 10:44:44

seacliff I like the broad band on this bra: is it like that on all sizes? Nice that they use recycled materials as well.

Daisend1 Sun 30-Jan-22 10:52:36

Wired /unwired ?not much goes in them these days.

seacliff Sun 30-Jan-22 15:52:31

Jane I am pretty sure all sizes are the same, with that wide band. I initially ordered four different styles in two sizes and tried them all at home. This was the only one that suited me. We're all different, but worth a try. I've ordered it in the two other colours as well before they stop selling it!!

simiisme Sun 30-Jan-22 18:07:00

Padding isn't just for small boobs.
I have really prominent nipples that are visible through non-padded bras. Some people might not mind, but I do, especially as I work with teenagers.
Thanks for the recommendations for unwired bras, as I ditched the underwiring during lockdown and never want to wear one again.