Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair washing

(122 Posts)
NanKate Thu 19-May-22 16:11:08

Have any of you stopped washing your hair with products and just rinse your hair in warm water ? I’m told this can be good for your hair.

Aprila Tue 24-May-22 18:53:18

Just don’t feel ready for the day without washing hair. Rarely when it is left for a day or two it still gets greasy as when young but could probably remedy with talc? Have to wash it though as it takes on a life of its own sticking out every which way ...

Mokeswife Tue 24-May-22 20:46:39

If you can't go without washing the secret is to use just a little shampoo but dilute it into a small jug. Shampoo has been getting thicker and thicker making us feel it must be more luxurious but it's just the manufacturers getting you to use more. Especially useful tip if you have long or thick hair because the water carries the shampoo through the hair rather than you putting a dollop in one place!

crazyH Tue 24-May-22 20:58:19

My hair is very greasy - it has to be washed almost daily

sunglow12 Wed 25-May-22 08:27:16

Would never do that as got long hair and still wash it every other day and it hasn’t harmed it but always use good natural shampoos and conditioner like Faith in Nature or Lavera . Rarely go to a hairdresser so put that money into shampoos. I have looked after , probably thousands of patients and the smell of unwashed hair is not nice .

Esmay Wed 25-May-22 09:40:06

No offence ,but 2-nonenal starts to be produced after age 40 - a very scary thought .
It's 2-nonenal that makes SOME elderly people smell unpleasant .Of course ,it's more prevalent in some people and not others .

I used to volunteer in a care home and I couldn't bear the stench of unwashed hair . The inhabitants were very happy with my shampooing with their full permission .
They always told me that they loved to smell young again !

My father actually had a full head of beautiful long white hair ,but the smell was horrendous .
As he's bed bound I use warm flannels soaked in lavender
water on his hair .

My hair ( and frankly do I ) stinks after a day gardening and certainly if I wear a hat .

I tried the warm water method for months -it looked lank and greasy . I couldn't style it .

So it's a gentle hair wash with one application of shampoo only frequently .

I do have a highly developed sense of smell - so perhaps it's my problem !

Riverwalk Wed 25-May-22 09:51:22

Esmay for your father you can use a shower cap shampoo which give hair a really good clean

Nilaqua

Esmay Wed 25-May-22 10:27:35

Thanks a ton Riverwalk for your recommendation . I have used Nilaqua ,which is a great product as well as my lavender method .He likes the smell of lavender !
Pomegranate soap is also recommended for older bodies .
Just had my first scrub in the tub and sprayed myself all over with Far Away from Avon !
I smiled to myself !

Aprila Wed 25-May-22 16:13:42

Old-fashioned hair-lacquered was probably the cause of dandruff and white flakes especially in the days when folks washed their hair maybe once a week. Glad I am not excessive after all going all the posters say they wash their hair daily. My mother-in-law would always say in a doom-laden voice ‘your hair will fall out!’

Rosina Wed 25-May-22 16:55:54

My hair gets a quick, one lather wash and condition every morning under the shower - otherwise it feels itchy by lunchtime, but that must be a psychological itch as it can't be dirty! I have bar shampoo with no nasties used in the production. 'Was told years ago that everything our body produces is water soluble - therefore we could dispense with soap and shampoo, and wash in warm water - but in really hot weather I can't imagine feeling fresh without soap.

Esmay Wed 25-May-22 20:46:39

I have memories of my elderly Aunts.
They carried metal knitting needles in their handbags at all times .They did knit , but those knitting needles were threaded through their hair to alleviate the irritation which built up between their saloon visits .
These visits were essential on Fridays or Saturdays according to their calendars .
Their hair was cut short and permed . Once a week - it would be washed and set under the dryer .Then sprayed into a rigid helmet able to weather any storm .

I once asked if they washed their hair themselves and they stared at me until eventually one of them said, ladies don't !
Later on , I was told not to ask questions like that by my mother .

NanKate Thu 02-Jun-22 07:56:12

UPDATE

After 4 washes in plain water I have returned to my Rosemary Shampoo because my hair was feeling claggy. I think now I will use a combination of shampoo and no shampoo dependent upon how my hair is feeling. It definitely has not been smelly or DH would have told me. I’m glad I tried this experiment.

Allsorts Thu 02-Jun-22 10:16:31

I use shampoo once a week, just one thorough lathering, good rinse, then once a week a lot of water on it under the shower. Never had dandruff, oily hair or dry hair. I think a lot of people could be overwashing and stripping their hair of natural oils. Also think these long showers every day using soaps etc dry the skin. My grandchildren can shower twice a day.

Mollygo Thu 02-Jun-22 10:48:06

I shower at the gym when I’ve been swimming but if I don’t use shampoo, my hair is dry and unmanageable.

Allsorts Thu 02-Jun-22 20:52:06

Mollygo I would think using a shampoo on very dry hair would make it drier. Have you tried a protein hair mask, failing that combing through olive oil, not too much on to dry hair and then wrapping it in a hot towel for half an hour, then washing it. For greasy hair vinegar in final rinse helps,

Mollygo Thu 02-Jun-22 22:33:11

Allsorts

Mollygo I would think using a shampoo on very dry hair would make it drier. Have you tried a protein hair mask, failing that combing through olive oil, not too much on to dry hair and then wrapping it in a hot towel for half an hour, then washing it. For greasy hair vinegar in final rinse helps,

No. I find one wash with my shampoo (bought in France) after the chlorinated pool water works perfectly. If I just wash it in the shower at the gym without shampoo it is dry and unmanageable.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jun-22 06:59:34

I would feel (not necessarily be) dirty if I didn’t shower and wash my hair each day, anyway my hair would just stand on end after being in bed
My hair is thick grows quickly and is healthy likewise my skin I never get spots so I ll carry on with my daily soap/ shampoo/water I can’t imagine starting the day without it
All my family children, in laws, grandkids shower every morning after getting out of bed I don’t know anyone who doesn’t and hadn’t imagined some people out of choice don’t
I use a £1.99 coconut shampoo out of savers and don’t use conditioner and usually use pears soap, and roll on
deodorant
I recently bought my daughter some expensive honey advertised as all singing all dancing she said it was very nice but no different to the ordinary supermarket stuff (sucker)

craftycrochet Sat 16-Jul-22 08:06:02

My hair is very fine and gets oily so I have to wash it with shampoo. I wash my hair every 2 days with Thickening shampoo but I have heard it is best to use sulphate free shampoo / clear.

kapoor007 Fri 19-Aug-22 08:30:18

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lolbacklink Fri 19-Aug-22 11:44:07

Hey Ladies, If you want to become independent and have a good side income, then become a Lash Expert with Lashing out loud.

lashingoutloud.com/

Happysexagenarian Tue 23-Aug-22 20:35:35

I recently rediscovered Green Soap Shampoo. My mother always used it on my hair when I was a child and my hair was always very soft add very glossy. Back then it was a gloopy gel in a glass jar, but it is now not so thick and sold in a plastic (recyclable) bottle. But it smells the same and my hair is definitely softer and shinier since using it and stays fresher for longer. I usually only wash my hair once a week, or twice in very hot weather. I don't use conditioner.

I have never tried washing my hair with water only.

kapoor007 Thu 25-Aug-22 12:02:29

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.