Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eyebrows

(33 Posts)
Lilliesmum79 Fri 20-May-22 07:01:50

How do you pluck eyebrows whilst wearing glasses. Ive tried magnifying mirrors not strong enough and can't do it when wearing glasses. Can't wax as skin now very sensitive. It seems I've Denis Healy eyebrows with added white ones sprouting out ??

Jane43 Fri 20-May-22 23:01:13

Benefit do a nice little kit called ‘Brow Zings’. It has a wax and a powder in various shades and also has two small brushes and a small pair of tweezers. It is around £20 but lasts for ages, you use the wax to tidy the brows first then fill in any gaps with the powder. It is much easier to use than pencil and gives a natural look.

crazyH Fri 20-May-22 22:49:54

If micro blading g sounds painful, why not have them waxed and the filled with whatever they use (forgot the name)

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 22:39:25

Maggierose

Maybee, it’s a bit like a tattoo. Little scratches inked in. Doesn’t really hurt. It looks too much at first but fades down to a natural look in days. You have to keep them dry for a week. I was given an ointment to use so I didn’t get any scabbing.

Thanks. My skin is terrible these days and doesn’t heal very well so I guess I can’t really risk anything that might cause a scab to form.

Serendipity22 Fri 20-May-22 21:59:37

dogsmother

Serendipity why do think threading is so bad? It’s a little uncomfortable but so is plucking and threading is much faster!
And the shaping that is a his amazing in no time.

I think its the thought that its uncomfortable, obviously the amount of woman I see tells me its very popular but for me i think its a no no.

hmm

V3ra Fri 20-May-22 17:43:57

I had my eyebrows microbladed five years ago and they're still good.
The therapist I went to didn't use any anaesthetic as she explained it numbed the skin and the pigment couldn't penetrate as well.
I followed her after-care instructions very carefully; she said don't get them wet for a week while they heal so I put vaseline over them when I washed my hair. I also kept them out of the sun as that can fade them.

Jaxjacky Fri 20-May-22 13:17:55

www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/beauty/hair/a568795/microblading-eyebrows-semi-permanent-tattooing/#:~:text=Microblading%20is%20a%20form%20of,by%20hand%2C%20using%20tiny%20microblades.

This explains micro blading

Grandmabatty Fri 20-May-22 13:15:40

I would add that microblading fades quite a bit after a few years. So it's not as permanent as a tattoo would be.

Maggierose Fri 20-May-22 12:55:43

Maybee, it’s a bit like a tattoo. Little scratches inked in. Doesn’t really hurt. It looks too much at first but fades down to a natural look in days. You have to keep them dry for a week. I was given an ointment to use so I didn’t get any scabbing.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 12:41:11

What is micro blading? I decided to put some make up on for the first time in ages and when I came to put some powder on my eyebrows ( (I’ve used powder for a long time because my eyebrows were so thin) I realised that there was no hair left. Not only that but my eyesight had deteriorated so much that I couldn’t really see what I was doing even using a magnifying mirror. I was looking after my grandson for the evening and didn’t want to scare him by not wearing make up but I think I look even more scary with it on now! And have memories of my younger self seeing older women with drawn on eyebrows and thinking how awful it looked sad

Fernbergien Fri 20-May-22 12:38:47

I have eyebrows that have to have added pencil lines but my friend with thick heavy brows goes to local college beauty department to have them waxed.

Visgir1 Fri 20-May-22 12:35:05

I had mine Microbladed 2 years ago.
Fantastic, I'm one of these post Menopause women who has lost body hair, so my fair eyebrows looked no existent.
Due my top up end of the summer.
Years ago had them dyed, but flogging a dead horse now!

Esspee Fri 20-May-22 12:34:16

I often pluck my eyebrows without constant use of mirrors. I simply place a finger over the eyebrow and pluck around it.

Maggierose Fri 20-May-22 12:29:54

I had gaps in my eyebrows and am so glad I got them microbladed. This was 11 months ago and they still look good. I have them tidied up about every 6 weeks at a local salon that does threading. The microblading was expensive but I’m glad I went there as the lady who threads them said they would last 3 - 6 months. Also I have seen not very good results on people. So if you take the plunge, research it and find the best microblader possible.

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 11:51:24

UKLash Patsy (hello!)
It’s a really good product but terrible customer service (see the customer service thread).
But! You can get it from QVC and their customer service is second to none.
If you don’t get results you can easily get your money back from them. I think that they give you three months.
I’m currently using another (slightly cheaper) brand on my brows whose name escapes me.
I think that it might be even better than the UKLash one, but it’s too early to judge.

Patsy70 Fri 20-May-22 11:34:38

Fanny, may I ask what serum you use?

Patsy70 Fri 20-May-22 11:29:19

I’ve recently started having my eyebrows shaped, waxing or threading, then tinted. I think the result is really good, as I have trouble doing them myself. My granddaughters sometimes do them for me too. ?

dogsmother Fri 20-May-22 09:18:42

Serendipity why do think threading is so bad? It’s a little uncomfortable but so is plucking and threading is much faster!
And the shaping that is a his amazing in no time.

Serendipity22 Fri 20-May-22 09:04:48

Its a difficult 1, wearing glasses whilst trying your level best to manoeuvre the tweezers to the over the top ..... grrrrrrr. I would say put the tweezers back in their rightful place, get in your car and go to a place that does threading.

I personally can't
hmmhmm think of anything worse ( threading ) BUT if the present method is causing you frustration, then I can't think of another way to get rid of the Dennis Healey look!

hmmhmmhmm

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 08:40:44

Ooh. I am very tempted!
Eyebrows really frame and lift your face don’t they

Grandmabatty Fri 20-May-22 08:31:09

You can have them as thick or as thin as you like. I don't think they look too much. I understand what you mean Fanny. I never wear makeup. I got them done as it was a total faff painting eyebrows on every day. To be honest, they look less 'in your face' than painting them on. ?

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 08:12:02

Do they look okay without wearing eye makeup?
Or do they look a ‘bit much’?
I’ve stopped wearing makeup after wearing it every day since I was 15.
Hence the lash and brow serum.
I’m trying to ‘tart up’ my face without resorting to makeup

Grandmabatty Fri 20-May-22 08:08:25

Josieanne it wasn't cheap and it was definitely nippy, if you know what I mean, without being painful. They fade over time and I'll need to get them topped up soon. But I prefer that to either having to paint them on every day or tattooed.

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 08:07:03

I think that micro bladed eyebrows look absolutely amazing; mind you, I must admit I’d be scared. But I’d love to have it done.
Can you tell us more about yours please Grandmabatty

Joseanne Fri 20-May-22 07:55:42

That sounds interesting Grandmabatty.
I have one goodish eyebrow and one half missing eyebrow due to surgery on a bcc. I might need to get it shaped professionally.

Grandmabatty Fri 20-May-22 07:39:48

I lost my eyebrows because of an underactive thyroid. I've had them microbladed on so they never grow out of shape!