Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The dreaded toe post sandals

(41 Posts)
Audi10 Fri 20-May-22 09:01:34

Always look forward to Spring & Summer when I can get my flip flops out, bought some really pretty ones but silly me only walked a few steps in the supermarket in them, as had the ties round and although I did untie them, you couldn’t really walk more than few steps, so hence this morning walking round my home the plastic toe post is really rubbing in between toes! Suppose I should just suck it up and get used to them,

Jaxjacky Sat 21-May-22 09:44:02

I love them, I was wearing some on Friday, mine are just cheap Surf ones, about £10 a pair.

Party4 Sat 21-May-22 09:49:53

I usually persist the initial discomfort of wearing toe posts because after a few days they are so easy and comfortable.For many years I lived summer months in Fit Flops maybe too much so as now I suffer with arthritic big toes and dare not risk wearing toe posts due to cramping,
have changed to sliders which offer more support and touch wood has helped the cramp like stiffness.

Witzend Sat 21-May-22 09:58:49

I usually find ordinary flip flops OK after a couple of days, but certainly uncomfortable at first.

A dd bought a load of women’s flip flops to offer instead of table favours* at her largely outdoor summer wedding - for people to change into when their feet started killing them.

Every single pair went, and I have to say they were immediately amazingly comfortable - why can’t they all be like this? And obviously they weren’t very expensive.

Wedding was in 2015 and I’ve still got mine.

*The blokes got nothing, but I doubt any of them cared!

Naughtyneine Sat 21-May-22 10:03:27

I bought a pair of Birkenstock style toe posts in Deichman recently and the sales assistant asked if I wanted to purchase the toe post 'cushions'. I didn't as I don't have a problem with them but might be the answer for those of you who do.

Blossoming Sat 21-May-22 10:23:33

I just can’t wear them as my toes feel like they’re being tortured.

lixy Sat 21-May-22 10:30:51

I love my Birkenstock toe-post flip-flops, though not for a day's sightseeing. though looking at toes right now and thinking they could do with a bit of TLC!

Josef Seibel do great clogs which I keep by the back door - really comfy.

Marmight Sat 21-May-22 10:44:30

Try Skechers gogo max. I wore Havianas for years but as I aged found they were too flat. Skechers are slightly raised so don’t pull on the calves. I walk miles in them with no problem.

hazel93 Sat 21-May-22 10:59:46

Have worn flip flops since a child , love them. Now approaching my seventies I only buy those with a leather toe post of which there are many.
My son always makes me laugh re. Havianas " How much ? You used to buy them for pennies for me Mum " . Needless to say none of us have a pair !

UserNamesAreOverrated Sat 21-May-22 11:05:05

I live and die in either flip flops or Birkenstocks. My toes must be hardened to the toe posts as they don't seem to bother me at all. I love my Birks.

NonnaW Sat 21-May-22 15:15:19

Has anyone tried Strive sandals? Recommended for plantar fasciitis and other foot problems. I bought some last year and though they suggest wearing only for a short while at first, I found them amazingly comfortable. Expensive but well worth it for me. Thinking of buying a different style this year.

MrsKen33 Sat 21-May-22 15:30:30

Hate men in flip flops with hairy toes Eughhh

AreWeThereYet Sat 21-May-22 16:55:05

You can buy silicon things that fit around the toe post to make them more comfortable - Deichman sell them I think. You can move them from shoe to shoe because they don't stick down.

I bought a pair last year that really cut into my toes. I found last week that there was a tiny plastic bit (possibly from holding the label) stuck to the toe post on either side. I cut them off with toenail clippers and they're comfy now. I wish I'd had my glasses on last time I inspected them hmm

Sara1954 Sat 21-May-22 17:32:00

Sodapop
Like you I wear them all year round, never owned a pair of slippers, I love them, can’t wait till summer when I can wear them all the time.
But, I have just bought a pair from Aspiga, had them before, wonderfully comfy, but these are absolute agony, and I can’t work out why, I’m trying to persevere by wearing them around the house, but have just kicked them off in disgust!

sodapop Sat 21-May-22 21:00:59

Never tried those Sarah1954 sounds painful. I might try some of the others mentioned on this thread. Scholl sandals are becoming difficult to find here in France.

BigBertha1 Sat 21-May-22 22:26:11

I would like it to get warm enough for sandals my feet and legs are still blue!! When it is warmer I like Clark's for post sandals and although I love smart sliders can't keep them on my post surgery feet