Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Clothes for "older" people.

(81 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 01-Jun-22 13:42:58

A while back there was a thread about what one should wear as one got older. Some were in favour of growing old disgracefully whilst others were in favour of discretion. Here's an article from the Guardian entitled "How to Age Well" - get louder every decade! Of particular note is the American Iris Apfel, aged 100. I wish I had the money and was thin enough to wear her clothes

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jun/01/the-new-rules-for-dressing-your-age-after-50

M0nica Fri 03-Jun-22 09:08:26

Iris Apfel hit theheadlines when a photographer called Ari Seth Cohen began photographing elderly people he met who challenged all the conventions about old women and clothes. He published a book called 'Advanced Style', in which she was the top story.

There is a web site www.advanced.style/ full of photos of older people, men and women, kicking over the traces, sartorially. and showing that if you are old, even if you are in a wheel chair, you can make sure you are not invisible. I bet no one ignores Iris Apfel, when she goes into a shop.

Before people start talking about money, he did a terrific feature at one point about really stylish women of limited means, all of whose clothes came from the US equivalent of charity shops.

Caleo Fri 03-Jun-22 12:55:15

I don't like clashing colours, or shapes that emphasise my bad bits.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Jun-22 12:56:39

I love some clashing colours, such as hot pink with bright red or orange.

Caleo Fri 03-Jun-22 13:02:33

I like clothes that hide my bad unshapely bits.

Following an eye appointment to SpecSavers and its bad mannered staff I now feel I ought perhaps to do some sort of power dressing so the staff might respect me more I.e. not casual but some sort of suit or even jewellery.

MawtheMerrier Fri 03-Jun-22 13:05:18

There is a danger - based on the fashion advice of the past , of being too “matchy matchy” We all do it, the matching shoes and bag plus hat if appropriate, the scarf picking out the colours of an outfit , all very tasteful, safe and frequently ageing.
I blame my Mum who drummed it into me along with the magazine fashion gurus and find it hard to resist the temptation to choose colours and accessories which “go together”.
My daughters are much better at effortlessly introducing a pop of (often unexpected) colour into an outfit,
Anyway, I do not feel patronised by articles about clothes for the “older woman”
As long as she is older than me, that’s OK.

Caleo Fri 03-Jun-22 13:05:22

GSM That particular clash does not suit my style but I love to look at it. These particular colours actually vibrate against each other. As you say "hot pink" and it has to be orangey red to get the effect.

Farzanah Fri 03-Jun-22 14:01:56

I agree MOnica she is a joy to see.
Her style isn’t mine but I like a women, especially an older woman, who has the confidence to dress as flamboyantly as she pleases, and not as the age and fashion police dictate.

teabagwoman Sun 05-Jun-22 11:19:35

Caleo, I feel exactly the same whenever I go to the hospital or the opticians. I find wearing a skirt and jacket definitely improves the way I’m talked to.

Dinahmo Sun 05-Jun-22 11:25:04

Caleo

I like clothes that hide my bad unshapely bits.

Following an eye appointment to SpecSavers and its bad mannered staff I now feel I ought perhaps to do some sort of power dressing so the staff might respect me more I.e. not casual but some sort of suit or even jewellery.

Maybe don't go to Specsavers. They're cheap but not that good, especially when it comes to varifocals.

Audi10 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:41:14

I don’t follow any rules regarding what you should wear at which age, I’m quite a confident person so wear what I personally love. Each to their own, I wouldn’t wear a mini skirt, prefer midi length or maxi, I love faux leather trousers, wouldn’t wear over the knee boots not because of my age, but they remind me of puss in boots, I’m not a fan of clashing colours. I think we should all wear what we fancy when we fancy

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Jun-22 12:02:20

I think that it’s ridiculous telling women to dress like Apfel.
The whole point is that she’s unique - that’s why we she is in the public eye.
Very few people could get away with copying her style.
I’m also thinking of Zandra Rhodes and Molly somebody (I’ll try and think of her name, it’s not Sugden!)

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Jun-22 12:05:10

Molly Parkin

Dinahmo Sun 05-Jun-22 12:10:14

FannyCornforth

I think that it’s ridiculous telling women to dress like Apfel.
The whole point is that she’s unique - that’s why we she is in the public eye.
Very few people could get away with copying her style.
I’m also thinking of Zandra Rhodes and Molly somebody (I’ll try and think of her name, it’s not Sugden!)

I think that you've missed the point. Surely the article was about dressing as you like, not following any rules because you've reached a certain age and maybe to go just a little bit wild?

Dinahmo Sun 05-Jun-22 12:12:33

Bubbles Rothermere was a good example. Often in Andra Rhode dresses. The other Molly is Parkin - former fashion editor, notably on the late lamented Nova.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Jun-22 12:13:34

Sorry Dinahmo, I have an admission ? I didn’t read the article ?
If that’s it’s message, then it’s a laudable one

Hihosilver Sun 05-Jun-22 12:18:20

Oh I wish I had the courage to throw caution to the wind and start wearing layers of floaty clothes and bedeck myself in jangly necklaces ! Instead I wear jeans and Joules harbour tops. Dresses from White Stuff and John Lewis, all for nice, and I get regular compliments, but a bit boring. At the moment fashion is against we older ladies. The shops are full of puff sleeved, sheered bodice droopy dresses. I want to look youthful, but not like a 7yr old.

Yammy Sun 05-Jun-22 12:34:08

BigBertha1

I buy from the brand's listed above but have recently also bought from Finery and Mint Velvet. Keep it classic and buy the best you can afford but only a few things every season and wear them a lot.

This is my mantra as well. I really missed the demise of Jaegar, Alexon, Precis petite and Country casuals.
Though I vowed to my DDs I would grow old disgracefully I'm not quite sticking to it these days, comfort seems to be playing a bigger part as the girth widens.
I also think that Gransnet ideas for how an older person should dress could do with a makeover.

Yammy Sun 05-Jun-22 12:45:55

I also meant to say I like the Geordie saying "All fur and nee knickers'. always makes me laugh. The other night while watching Andrew Mars the Elizabethan's I had a flashback to childhood and suddenly realised why my father always called some of our relations the Dockers.
My relation had made it big in the mines and moved to the Midlands, they always turned up in expensive cars and my aunt wrapped in Beaver lamb coats. I stayed with them one year and realised she put the coat on to go out to the mobiles shops that came around, underneath she still had her pinny on. A case of all fur and a coarse brat.grin

Doodledog Sun 05-Jun-22 12:56:06

I also think that Gransnet ideas for how an older person should dress could do with a makeover.

Agreed. Given that most of the posters will have been young in the 60s and 70s we are used to having fashion marketed to us, even when we thought we were the height of subcultural non-conformity grin, and the 'safe' suggestions (naming no brands, but you know what I mean) suggested as 'appropriate' for us just doesn't cut it.

Most of us are a different shape from when we were young and have bits we'd prefer to cover up, but not in beige polyester skirts with perma-pleats, or shapeless fleece bomber jackets. I think you can add 20 years to the supposed age of the market for many clothes - ie 'clothing for the over 50s' really means 'don't consider until you are at least 70, and then approach with caution', and there are no ranges (as far as I am aware) which go beyond 50 as a marketing target - it's as though we can dress in a range of 'looks' until we hit 50, then morph into identical crones. At any age, the assumptions made about older people's willingness to settle for nondescript clothing is wide of the mark.

Toby1932 Sun 05-Jun-22 12:59:37

For me personally it depends what mood I’m in and how I am feeling that day and obviously where I am going.
If I’m going somewhere posh or important I dress classic or classic casual ( I LOVE Audrey Hepburn look. Such a classy lady )
But if I’m going somewhere fun like a party or it’s a beautiful day I like colourful clothes. They make me feel good and alive.

Toby1932 Sun 05-Jun-22 13:02:43

My Mum always drummed into me 2 things.
1 - don’t be a sheep, dress how YOU want to dress, if it makes you feel good then do it
And
2 - less is more. ie if you are wearing the classic LBD, don’t overload with jewellery etc pick a couple classic price to add accents

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Jun-22 13:08:37

Monica thank you so much for the link to Advanced Style.
It’s a fab blog with amazing photos ⭐️

M0nica Sun 05-Jun-22 13:11:06

I have often thought that even the idea that there is such a thing as a section called 'How to dress after 50' is ludicrous.

The days of age-appropriate dressing went out with blue rinses and a cut-and-set every week. The older we get the more different and varied we look. One person, at 60, may be white haired with that lovely delicate pink and white complexion and be a grandmother and another will not have a grey hair, and will still have children of school age. One person is conservative and conventional in how they dress, others were hippy in the 60s and still have the alternative street vibe and dress it.

I think no fashion retailer markets to older women, because we are so various in how we look, and how we dress that it is very difficult to know what to offer us and where to offer it.

Looking at my 15 year old grand daughter, she always looks lovely, but she dresses like every other 15year old in her year, and as I see on the streets, much easier to target and sell to.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Jun-22 13:19:26

Never heard of the old dear no I think she looks pretty awful especially the glasses the jacket would be ok with some plain coloured trousers but she’s obviously attention seeking and good luck yo her if she’s happy

It would be great if people could say where they get stylish clothes these days which can be worn by both young and "older" people alike. …Charity shop s are my favourite shops and amazing what designer and good makes people give away
That ll do me

Casdon Sun 05-Jun-22 13:21:40

M0nica

I have often thought that even the idea that there is such a thing as a section called 'How to dress after 50' is ludicrous.

The days of age-appropriate dressing went out with blue rinses and a cut-and-set every week. The older we get the more different and varied we look. One person, at 60, may be white haired with that lovely delicate pink and white complexion and be a grandmother and another will not have a grey hair, and will still have children of school age. One person is conservative and conventional in how they dress, others were hippy in the 60s and still have the alternative street vibe and dress it.

I think no fashion retailer markets to older women, because we are so various in how we look, and how we dress that it is very difficult to know what to offer us and where to offer it.

Looking at my 15 year old grand daughter, she always looks lovely, but she dresses like every other 15year old in her year, and as I see on the streets, much easier to target and sell to.

I wish you were right about people getting more varied in their dress as they age Monica but sadly I don’t think that’s true.

The people who have responded on this thread are perhaps the most interested? The vast majority of older women dress very conservatively, you see the same look everywhere you go. Often a light coloured jacket, flat shoes, trousers (often a little bit short, and not many wear jeans), or a skirt, and a cardigan. It’s like a uniform. I’m not knocking it, just stating what I see.