Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Clothes for "older" people.

(81 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 01-Jun-22 13:42:58

A while back there was a thread about what one should wear as one got older. Some were in favour of growing old disgracefully whilst others were in favour of discretion. Here's an article from the Guardian entitled "How to Age Well" - get louder every decade! Of particular note is the American Iris Apfel, aged 100. I wish I had the money and was thin enough to wear her clothes

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jun/01/the-new-rules-for-dressing-your-age-after-50

MawtheMerrier Sat 23-Jul-22 10:14:05

Riverwalk

Midi/maxi tiered prairie dresses, they've been around for a few years and are everywhere - too flouncy, and as I'm short of leg wouldn't be a good look on me. Also I think they're for younger women, dare I say that!

I saw two taller women around my age out together wearing said dresses and IMO it wasn't a good look... very old granny looking. To wear a granny-look well you need not to be a granny!

On Newsnight recently Kirsty Wark was wearing the most dreadful long brown 70s curtain-patterned dress shock

That’s a really good point To wear a granny look well you need not to be a granny
I am noticing lots of trousers for instance on the fashion pages with the front crease stitched or piped, very much like M&S used to do in their Classic “granny” range I hate it and can’t see past the association.
Let’s face I though, if you’re young and not massively fat (am I allowed to say that? But it’s true) you can look good in a bin bag. Whereas I just look as if I am wearing a bin bag!

AuntieEleanorsCat Sat 30-Jul-22 12:13:10

Can’t imagine that lady in Aldi! I think “ordinary” people dress for life as in, practically. We have to. We don’t have the funds, time, lifestyle to dress in that way.

Katek Sat 30-Jul-22 15:19:15

Every time I see Iris I can’t help but think ‘Barry Cryer’! Sorry………..

M0nica Sat 30-Jul-22 16:12:13

Iris Apfel has money and her clothes are expensive, but you do not need money to dress like that, just imagination, access to lots of charity shops and a sewing machine.

Why criticise her? She is a wonderful example of not letting your age or other people's criticsm dictate how you dress. It doesn't matter what your age is, just dress the way you like and to hell with anyone trying to dictate to you how you 'ought' to dress.

If I, or anyone else, decides they want to dress like a catwalk model or a bag lady, that is entirely up to us.

Skydancer Sat 30-Jul-22 16:54:46

I’ve just looked at the 2 brands you mention. Just my sort of thing. Thank you.