Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wrap dresses

(36 Posts)
Northernlass Sat 11-Jun-22 10:52:01

I’ve just read (Gransnet What to Wear for a Wedding), yet again, that wrap dresses suit everybody (or should that be every body?!).
I look absolutely dreadful in them - something to do with my 36 E boobs, perhaps?!
Any one else disagree with this universal recommendation?

Deedaa Sat 11-Jun-22 21:32:37

Back in the 70s when I was tall and slim I had a very nice denim wrap dress that I made myself. It always looked very smart. Fast forward 50 years and they don't work for me at all. Just look frumpy.

AreWeThereYet Sat 11-Jun-22 21:33:58

I think wrap dresses look good on someone with a bit of shape (a bit of boob going on), which isn't me. I'm also a bit pear shaped, so they're either too big on top or too small on the hips.

rafichagran Sat 11-Jun-22 22:18:18

I neither like or wear them.

BigBertha1 Sun 12-Jun-22 06:17:46

I like them but with a stitched in place skirt. Sometimes the top needs a stitch or two as well . I don't like a broach as that means I can't wear beads or a chunky necklace.

Grannynannywanny Sun 12-Jun-22 07:23:16

I had a notion to try on a wrap summery dress last week. I looked like one of those burst bags on the airport luggage reclaim conveyor that produces gasps of sympathy on its way round.

Scribbles Sun 12-Jun-22 08:54:16

I only tried on a wrap dress once. I looked like Mrs Overall.

Curlywhirly Sun 12-Jun-22 09:30:48

Artaylar

I'm petite with big boobs and find that wrap dresses suit me and downplay the boob bigness.

Now shift dresses - a totally different matter. I've always looked as though I'm about the start the washing up in them.

Isn't that strange Artaylar- I'm petite with big boobs too, but I find wrap dresses accentuate my boobs and shift dresses minimise them!

Yammy Sun 12-Jun-22 09:41:14

PaperMonster

I like them! I’m a 34F. I do find that I need to put a brooch in the V as they always come to far down for me. But I have a short body. I find them flattering.

This is me as well. I have a short body and if a dress has an elasticated or drawstring waist they end up all baggy at the top. I often have to change the belt loops on dresses and coats.
I actually look better in a wrap dress with a blazer or long cardigan on top somehow it puts my body into proportion. Although I am not tall I have long legs so 7/8 trousers on me are like capris.

Margiknot Sun 12-Jun-22 10:46:55

Artaylar I’m another strawberry(32E) petite who suits shift dresses but not wrap dresses. I think it might be to do with my lack of a waist! Perhaps an hour glass shape or a longer waist, suits a wrap dress well? Some wrap dresses are so pretty- just not on me!

FoghornLeghorn Sun 12-Jun-22 15:22:39

I like wrap dresses but being short of body, although long of leg, I can never find one that contains my boobs. They are always far too low.