Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Sister in law's birthday party - what to wear?

(36 Posts)
kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 15:53:14

My sister in law is 60 (damn her!) in August. They are having a lunch party at home (hopefully in the garden)

We get on ok but are not close (long story involving my mother!) She is fairly glamorous and she tends to treat me as though I am a hundred years old (I'm only 73!!!)

I intend to wear linen trousers but with what? I can't cope with scarves. Price isn't a huge issue and 'my' colours are mainly pinks and purples.

All suggestions gratefully received.

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 18:56:35

Me to a t, maw.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 18-Jun-22 18:57:51

I am another Gran who doesn’t have good legs. I do love the comfiness of a dress though and am loving maxi dresses at the moment also midi ones which are pretty much full length on me too. I was in John Lewis yesterday and they had some lovely choices in there.

westendgirl Sat 18-Jun-22 19:00:05

Those kimonos are so beautiful and the answer to lots of dressing problems, and they are not too dear.

Marsha Sat 18-Jun-22 19:29:10

www.johnlewis.com/hush-randa-textured-lightweight-blouse-fuchsia-pink/p6152113

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 20:17:50

kittylester

Me to a t, maw.

I know - I’ve met you!
Now look out those statement necklaces/earrings!

grannydarkhair Sat 18-Jun-22 22:31:08

I think this is really pretty, but it’s polyester, you may not like that. £18.

www.bonmarche.co.uk/dw/image/v2/BBCZ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog-bonmarche/default/dw1eeb59f5/zoom/90/900137551_default.jpg?sw=500

Deedaa Sat 18-Jun-22 22:42:17

If you go for white linen trousers the world is your oyster when it comes to a colour for the top. I would go for something light and loose. I'm typing this in a pair of white linen trousers and a Joe Browns floaty Indian top in a green, blue and orange paisley. Perhaps not everyone's taste but I love it.

Rosiebee Wed 29-Jun-22 13:12:28

For my dear Stepson's wedding I ended up with navy trousers and a blues and white asymmetrical top with elbow length turn back sleeves. Very floaty and skimming. A chunky heeled navy sandal, oh and a navy fascinator. I was happy and comfortable, not fretting about anything slipping / clinging / riding up. Previous two choices of dresses had to be side lined as they would have needed tights and a real heel and neither my feet or legs were ready for that. Wear something you're happy in and don't forget a big smile. I never stopped smiling all day.

Stephanie48 Wed 29-Jun-22 13:28:48

Did you find an outfit, kittylester?

kittylester Wed 29-Jun-22 20:31:47

Yes, I did, sort of. I have a white blouse with pink embroidered flowers on if it's warm enough and a longish, white cotton jumper if it isn't. Bottom half, pink or white cotton trousers. Possibly!