Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Short fat hairy legs

(12 Posts)
ExDancer Wed 22-Jun-22 11:55:20

Actually my legs are neither short nor hairy, but they are snow white, and some would say I'm being frivolous.
The problem is that I have to avoid the sun because of medication, so I can't sit and let them brown up naturally and they do need some attention.
I remember the streaky, orange, smelly results from self tanning products of years ago and wondered if they have been improved.
Last year I got them professionally sprayed and they looked ridiculous, just 'way too dark alongside the rest of me. I don't mind not being tanned - but you should see these whiter than white legs!
Can anyone recommend a self tan product that doesn't streak, or do I risk another salon treatment (asking for a more delicate shade) or carry on twinkling my bright white walkers at the world.
(I'm very vain I know)

PinkCosmos Wed 22-Jun-22 12:01:47

Have you thought about one of the gradual tans. There are quite a few different brands available

www.boots.com/dove-dermaspa-summer-revived-fair-med-lotion-200ml-10197534

You apply them like a moisturiser and the tan builds up gradually over applications. It doesn't go streaky.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Jun-22 12:57:16

I have used the Dove one mentioned in PinkCosmos post and I also use Garnier moisturiser with a slight gradual tan in.

Neither go streaky, I always exfoliate before use and then once a week so the colour doesn’t go patchy or build up.

MissAdventure Wed 22-Jun-22 12:58:55

I was just about to say the Dove one is good.

Callistemon21 Wed 22-Jun-22 13:04:30

Yes, the Dove one is good.

I bought some Clarins self-tan for my face, you mix a couple of drops into your normal moisturiser.
I looked more rusty orange than lightly tanned.

toscalily Wed 22-Jun-22 14:09:18

I use the Dove lighter version which is fine for my colouring. You can of course use it all over not just on your legs for a more co-ordinated look if want grin

Terryms Mon 11-Jul-22 04:37:36

I am very afraid of using tan products at home because it is super easy to have wrong result. So I'd go to the salon

BoadiceaJones Mon 11-Jul-22 05:45:57

Why not just be proud of how you are naturally? A stylish top, shades and hat, or an elegant sarong, and they'll all be looking at the gorgeous you, not your legs. And just think - the mahogany tanners leave themselves wide open to skin cancer.

Lucca Mon 11-Jul-22 06:44:06

BoadiceaJones

Why not just be proud of how you are naturally? A stylish top, shades and hat, or an elegant sarong, and they'll all be looking at the gorgeous you, not your legs. And just think - the mahogany tanners leave themselves wide open to skin cancer.

Agree. Also if you have to avoid the sun surely you will not be showing your legs ?

Esspee Mon 11-Jul-22 06:48:24

I expect the OP uses sunscreen and stays out of the sun Lucca.

cornergran Mon 11-Jul-22 06:53:17

Another vote for the Dove products. No nasty smell or streaking. Exfoliate first and then every week or so, it’s a very gentle build up of colour, just stop when it’s right for you.

Shelflife Mon 11-Jul-22 07:59:48

My friend swears by a dove product. As for me, my legs only come out at the swimming pool! not fit for public display. So I would love to show my legs - white or not!!! Be brave and stop worrying.