Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wax strips for bikini line , pain factor?

(27 Posts)
kittypaws49 Wed 22-Jun-22 11:56:41

Has anyone done their bikini line at home using wax strips ? I swim a lot in the summer and I'm fed up with the methods I've used so far to keep tidy "down there". Shaving and creams don't give a good and lasting result. I've used strips on my legs and don't find it at all painful, but I'm afraid that the bikini line might be another story ! once it's on it will have to come off and what if I'm too much of a wuss ! Is it really painful ?Appreciate advice here. Just talking about a tidy up ,not a full Brazillian.

Purpledaffodil Wed 22-Jun-22 12:32:46

Tried them ONCE. Pulling off one side resulted in lots of bruising. Stopped swimming for a while then went back to trusty razor. ?

Iam64 Wed 22-Jun-22 12:39:08

Why bother? Who cares or notices

H1954 Wed 22-Jun-22 12:44:51

Purpledaffodil, I feel your pain! I only used them once and experienced severe bruising. Didn't bother again and reverted to a lady razor.

However, over the years, things have thinned out significantly so I don't bother now.

My motto in life........If it offends, don't look at it!

DillytheGardener Wed 22-Jun-22 12:49:09

You don’t want to use ‘strip’ wax for the bikini area. You need to use hot wax. I do it to myself but I used to do it as a trade (as well as hair and makeup).
I’d suggest going and having it done professionally and then wax it when the first growth comes in, otherwise you will be waxing when it’s full growth which will be harder and more painful.
Then buy a wax pot with stripless hot wax like the below link;

Watch some videos on YouTube to show you how too. The main thing is trim a bit before, and start from the outside in small areas, then press down afterwards to stop pain.

The set up cost is worth it, pays for itself in one or two uses.

www.groupon.co.uk/deals/mylee-wax-heater-or-choice-of-kits-1?deal_option=a0663cd2-8b1f-4630-9e4c-3fa4eb772631&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=uk_mb_sea_ggl_txt_tim_pads_cbp_chp_nbr_target*_productpartitionid*293946777986_campaignid*16895022854_adgroupid*139382491110_productid*a0663cd2-8b1f-4630-9e4c-3fa4eb772631_adposition*_prodtarget*293946777986_adtype*pla&gbraid=0AAAAADxu4DCrd6-LseTuIaVoQjaStdrNI&gbraid=0AAAAADxu4DCrd6-LseTuIaVoQjaStdrNI&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8qVBhANEiwAfjXLrnSqV9f5Gemj1T6Twcl2Zg5Uc_7yOF5gOj5mySghqiXeN_wtMbTNhRoCG4EQAvD_BwE

shysal Wed 22-Jun-22 13:02:01

I found the strips caused soreness and spots/ingrowing hairs. For me the best thing is to Venus wet shave daily when I lather up to wash. Same for underarms, and legs every few days. The skin gets used to this and doesn't react.
Those of you whose hair growth has thinned as you age are lucky! When I did my legs after leaving them over winter I could have stuffed a cushion with the resulting black hairs blocking the plughole filter!

Witzend Wed 22-Jun-22 13:05:21

I just use Veet or similar, though it’s less necessary than it used to be - one of the advantages of getting older…

I find it easy and pretty effective. Couldn’t contemplate waxing, and shaving regrowth is much too bristly.

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Jun-22 13:05:25

I use my epilator, skin must be stretched taut or it can catch.

kittypaws49 Wed 22-Jun-22 13:13:04

Thank you to everyone who replied, I'm definetely having second thoughts about the wax strips now ! It's back to the razor I think, and the 5'clock shadow ! Hopefully( probably) no one's looking. Body hair does thin as you age, I have almost nothing on my legs now, even though I was quite dark.Shysal, I feel for you.!

Redhead56 Wed 22-Jun-22 17:21:07

Massive just once when I was abroad never again the bruising took weeks to go.

Summerlove Wed 22-Jun-22 17:30:04

I tried once = about15 years ago.
Never again. Im now afraid to even get it done professionally (Im a wimp)

Yammy Wed 22-Jun-22 17:35:47

I used to have it all professionally done then realising the cost when BIL ex-wife saw the Bank statement and commented on the cost I stopped.
I wax my own underarms and find I have so few hairs on my legs now an epilator does the trick.I did try waxing my bikini line with all the bruising others have mentioned. If and when I do it now scissors and the epilator are fine.

Shandy57 Wed 22-Jun-22 17:42:26

I remember my flat mate screaming in pain as her boyfriend had used the hot wax too thick - some of her skin came away too. I'd go to a salon for such a sensitive area.

Rosiebee Wed 22-Jun-22 17:46:16

I like a skirted swimsuit to distract from my wobbly thighs and this has the added advantage of hiding any hairs. Growing old does have advantages - thinning of hair in this area and nobody getting that close to notice anyway. I swim 3 times a week and don't give it a thought now. When younger I always had to do the dreaded deed with some smelly cream, the night before holidays.

tanith Wed 22-Jun-22 17:55:33

Do epilators do legs properly? Any recommendations from those that use them?

CanadianGran Wed 22-Jun-22 19:46:43

I have, and yes the ouch factor is quite high! DH would giggle at me when he saw me go into the bathroom with a rum drink.smile

The strips for bikini area are usually smaller, and the trick is to hold your skin taught while pulling the strip. It is an awkward area to do, though, so you may want to leave it to the professionals.

silverlining48 Wed 22-Jun-22 20:11:43

I can’t imagine why anyone would do this. I have had waxing on the face in the past, only once, and it hurt.

PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Jun-22 20:32:05

I do it myself but I do have the equipment, like dilly I do it professionally.
Put leg up at an angle, apply wax, wait a short while for the wax to grip the hair, pull the skin very tight then rip the wax off against the direction of growth.
Hop about for a while then do the other side?‍?
I did buy a pack of wax strips once to do my sister’s legs. I didn’t get on with them at all.

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Jun-22 20:34:55

tanith I’ve used an epilator for about 25 years and it’s great. Because they remove the root, regrowth takes ages, also do bikini line, but not tried armpits yet.

Iam64 Wed 22-Jun-22 20:35:21

silverlining48

I can’t imagine why anyone would do this. I have had waxing on the face in the past, only once, and it hurt.

I’m still wondering why anyone feels the need to do this?

Zoejory Wed 22-Jun-22 20:41:46

Iam64

silverlining48

I’m still wondering why anyone feels the need to do this?

Not overly keen on seeing a grey unprumed bush I guess, peeking out from one's swimwear.

I shave.

PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Jun-22 20:49:18

Zoe perhaps they don’t swim.

Iam64 Wed 22-Jun-22 20:52:56

Perhaps they don’t care

tanith Wed 22-Jun-22 22:32:15

Thanks jaxjacky

kittypaws49 Thu 23-Jun-22 13:27:24

That's why, Zoejory! Boden, please make boyleg swimsuits again. Problem solved.