Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eyebrows

(21 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Fri 29-Jul-22 16:51:39

My brows are the bane of my life, not over plucked but since diagnosed with hypothyroidism they are barely there, anyone used these serums I keep reading about to make your brows grow, they actually sound to good to be true to me

Esmay Fri 29-Jul-22 18:24:01

One day, aged 13 I borrowed my mother's tweezers and ripped most of my eyebrows out .
Fashionable at the time -I soon came to deeply regret it and envied Brooke Shield's eyebrows .
Now they are paisley white and the hair grow irregularly

Esmay Fri 29-Jul-22 18:31:16

Oops just when I didn't want to send !

They are partly white and grow irregularly .

I think that they look awful .

Benefit make products which disguise them beautifully , but they don't seem to last long .

These days , I'm using Avon brown pomade.
It stays on and seems to stick the protruding hairs down nicely . The full price is £9 .

I don't know if serums work .
Maybe a little bit old fashioned , but a touch of vaseline at night and some vitamins for hair and nail growth might work .

Good luck !

AreWeThereYet Fri 29-Jul-22 18:32:15

Sorry never tried them but I have the same problem. I've got quite good at drawing them in with a pencil and one of those eyebrow mascara things that make the thicker.

I read somewhere recently that Vaseline is good for thickening eyebrows. I've been meaning to try it but keep forgetting to buy the Vaseline.

AreWeThereYet Fri 29-Jul-22 18:35:10

Thinking about it it I don't understand how serums can make hairs grow if there are none there. I can see how they can make existing hairs longer or thicker or softer, but if the hair isn't there there is nothing to put the serum on.

Or maybe they work in a different way ?

HeavenLeigh Fri 29-Jul-22 22:28:03

Exactly what I thought, Arewe

TillyTrotter Fri 29-Jul-22 22:36:15

When I colour my hair I add a little to my eyebrows with a small paintbrush. It gives just enough colour.

TillyTrotter Fri 29-Jul-22 22:37:43

PS haven’t heard about serums. Hair growth is sparse everywhere as I age, not just my eyebrows.

MarinaL Fri 29-Jul-22 23:28:03

The serums do work. I have used one for eyelashes and although it takes about 6 weeks the results are amazing. I'm sure it would work equally well for eyebrows. You do however have to keep using them to maintain the look, not cheap either.

NanKate Sat 30-Jul-22 01:53:48

I too have an underactive thyroid HeavenL so know of the problem of scarce eyebrows. I have found the right shade of eye shadow and paint them in with a slanted brush each day and I am pleased with the results.

Georgesgran Sat 30-Jul-22 09:31:37

I’ve used the serums on lashes and brows and they work. Very expensive and takes a lot of patience. I found my brows also went slightly darker too.

henetha Sat 30-Jul-22 09:35:54

My eyebrows are getting sparse so I go over them gently with a brown/black eyeliner pencil.

BigBertha1 Sat 30-Jul-22 09:36:43

I wondered if you had considered having them microplaned. My nail lady has just had hers done and they look fabulous. Not entirely natural looking but so tidy and frames her face well. Its expensive and you need to be sure its an experienced practitioner so get some recommendations first. I keep thinking abut it but its very costly and I need my teeth done first.

Redhead56 Sat 30-Jul-22 10:27:59

My eyebrows were only ever thin because of years of plucking in the eighties. But what was left disappeared through stress when my daughter left for university.
I started to pencil them in and as my hair has got whiter I use the lightest colour for my brows. It’s tedious but I am not about to go out without any eyebrows.
My friend had hers tattooed and it suits her but its not a look that would suit me.

LOUISA1523 Sat 30-Jul-22 12:17:46

My eyebrows grew back fairer after chemo...I use rimmel eyebrow kit ...about 6 quid... just makes then stand out more but very quick to apply

PamelaJ1 Sat 30-Jul-22 13:30:48

If the hairs are there but have just got lighter or finer then lash tint may help. Mine show up so much better when I do mine.

Visgir1 Sat 30-Jul-22 13:34:40

Get a good Beautician to look at them.
Think about Microbladed or Ombre. I had mine Ombre about 2 years ago, brilliant I have eyebrows again.

Tried everything before hand I have never had good eyebrows and they were blonde.

About 12 years ago I had them Tattooed, but this is much better.
Worth asking even if you don't go down this route.

NotAGran55 Sat 30-Jul-22 14:28:34

The lash and brow serums do work, but you need to maintain them a couple of times a week once they have grown.

HeavenLeigh Sat 30-Jul-22 18:43:43

Thanks BigBertha1 I’m not a fan of microbladed brows,I have heard of ombré I will have to read up on that, not a fan either of tattooed brows, can anyone recommend the name of the serums those that have used them, thank you

SuzieHi Sat 30-Jul-22 20:54:23

Mavala double lash eyelash serum works on eyelashes - makes them grow very quickly. How I don’t know. Would probably work on brows too. Haven’t tried that yet.
I use a sharp eyebrow pencil on eye brows and fill in the gaps - lots of small lines rather than one which looks awful! Daughter has paid £100 to have her eyebrows done professionally - almost s as tattoo type thing? They look good. Hers were over plucked now they look neat and defined.

MarinaL Sat 30-Jul-22 23:13:34

The one I used was Rapid Lash.