Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Does anyone else think that trousers like this are hideously ugly?

(151 Posts)
Witzend Sun 14-Aug-22 16:58:01

And aren’t at all flattering even on tall, super-slim models? Let alone anyone of a more normal size.

I do buy from this company but they are increasingly featuring this sort of thing.

Missiseff Mon 15-Aug-22 15:02:42

Love them

62Granny Mon 15-Aug-22 15:11:23

I don't mind them tbh, I do think the price is off putting, I wouldn't pay that for what I would consider a "every day" style of trousers. I know some will say they will last for years but I am never convinced they will.

Sawsage2 Mon 15-Aug-22 15:13:38

They're OK, I would wear them but would never pay that price (primark sell same for around a tenner)

Bijou Mon 15-Aug-22 15:14:57

I don’t like trousers on women anyway and in warm weather a dress is cooler.

Mallin Mon 15-Aug-22 15:21:32

Witzend. Ugly things. Make your feet look gigantic and your bum and knees in need of their equivalent of a face lift. Makes me flinch seeing them worn in the street, I’ve yet to see a woman look elegant when wearing them.

Nagmad2016 Mon 15-Aug-22 15:31:03

I quite like them. I have two pairs. Each to their own.

Bazza Mon 15-Aug-22 15:39:40

I really like them too, I have a pair very similar in my wardrobe from Poetry from some years ago. What I really don’t like is wide flappy trousers, probably because they don’t really suit me. TBH I don’t like them anyway, but live and let live! Let’s all just wear what we like and what we feel comfortable in.

GrammaH Mon 15-Aug-22 15:51:08

What's so wrong with them that they attract such a strong comment? I think they're absolutely fine - in fact, I have some very similar Masai ones from a few years ago

AdeleJay Mon 15-Aug-22 16:11:09

To be honest any trousers which emphasise my stick thin ankles are a no no. I too think they look cheap though at £119 they are really expensive. And washed out colours do nothing for me either. I’m hoping styles might soon change.

lizzypopbottle Mon 15-Aug-22 16:14:20

I wouldn't buy, make or wear something like this. In trousers, I think ankles are best covered, especially men's bony ankles! I don't know why, but ankles look OK with shorts or skirts. Maybe it's because the eye isn't drawn to them. Please note the words I think!

Shirley48 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:16:35

GrammaH

What's so wrong with them that they attract such a strong comment? I think they're absolutely fine - in fact, I have some very similar Masai ones from a few years ago

I’m glad you said that GrammaH - I was thinking the same! They seem to me, compared to some items of clothing, to be fairly neutral and inoffensive! They’re not vividly coloured or patterned / they’re not hugely wide or skintight. I think they’d look really good with a short white linen top grin

Happyme Mon 15-Aug-22 16:19:55

Oh dear, looked at this post, liked the trousers, visited the site , bought them!!! . I am so easily led ?

Patsy70 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:24:42

I don’t think they’re in the least bit ugly! To me, they look classy and comfortable and I would definitely wear them, and I’m considered to be stylish. ?

Patsy70 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:25:45

Happyme ?

Nanascats Mon 15-Aug-22 16:34:55

I actually have a pair in a different colour. Wore them last week [when I had a family lunch] with a short blue cotton top. And they were admired. I'm nearly 80 and don't think I'm too old to wear things like this.

SachaMac Mon 15-Aug-22 16:36:34

I think the model gets away with them but on someone shorter and not as slim they probably wouldn’t be too flattering. I’m 5’6” & don’t suit anything half mast, it’s full length or fully cropped for me now. I agree they would be better with a more fitted top but they’re not an easy look to carry off. I agree we need to update our wardrobes with new styles & shapes but if something really doesn’t suit your shape you’re better off steering clear.

Shirley48 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:38:02

Happyme

Oh dear, looked at this post, liked the trousers, visited the site , bought them!!! . I am so easily led ?

Ha ha! Love it!

Shirley48 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:40:02

SachaMac

I think the model gets away with them but on someone shorter and not as slim they probably wouldn’t be too flattering. I’m 5’6” & don’t suit anything half mast, it’s full length or fully cropped for me now. I agree they would be better with a more fitted top but they’re not an easy look to carry off. I agree we need to update our wardrobes with new styles & shapes but if something really doesn’t suit your shape you’re better off steering clear.

But your comment is sensible and measured, SachaMac You’re not saying they offend you, or that they’re ugly

kevincharley Mon 15-Aug-22 17:22:59

Agreed! But no worse than these. Each to their own.

123kitty Mon 15-Aug-22 17:27:04

Sawsage 2 - your comment that you can pick up similar from Primark for £10 says all there needs to be said about these trousers. Of course we can wear what we want, but should we?

knspol Mon 15-Aug-22 17:30:19

Look fine to me, I'd wear them.

SJV07 Mon 15-Aug-22 17:42:24

I refuse to wear white trainers of any sort. Not in the country!!!

maddyone Mon 15-Aug-22 17:46:52

I don’t like them and I wouldn’t wear them, but if others want to wear them, that’s just fine. I don’t think they look flattering and I don’t think they’d flatter most older women. They are for young women in my opinion, but cares, wear them if you like them.

MaryPell55 Mon 15-Aug-22 17:56:04

I'm not keen on them for me, but as kevincharley says, each to their own.

Carenza123 Mon 15-Aug-22 18:04:13

I’m afraid they would not attract me to buy them. I like either fitted trousers or straight leg linen ones. Don’t believe in dressing for comfort - I still would like to think I don’t dress dowdily.