Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Has M&S lingerie lost the plot?

(113 Posts)
CvD66 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:58:59

I've just been to M&S to top up my underwear and was horrified to find mountains of multipacks of bras - with colours that will surely end up in landfill. Not a navy bra to be had (my preferred go-to colour) Their 'new' high leg knickers - my standard for years - are made of the thinnest fabric going! I'm distraught. Where do you buy your underwear? I am in need of guidance to a new decent lingerie shop - after 69 year loyal M&S knicker wearing.

Ethelwashere1 Sun 21-Aug-22 10:04:14

Try Asda. Cheap with lots of colours. After all the experts tell us to discard a bra after 3 months Asda bras certainly last that long and more but not with a hefty price. Also I buy Bon marche undies and love them too

Witzend Sat 20-Aug-22 08:27:13

I’ve noticed that the 3 pack of bras I bought last week - same size, same sort of style as my old ones - are a wee bit bigger. Which is fine, and makes me realise that the old ones were actually on the small size for me.

BlueSapphire Sat 20-Aug-22 08:05:21

I got a navy bra from Marks online last month. No problems finding one.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-22 22:19:26

Looking at the images used by M&S and Sainsbury's to advertise their under wear. I find the M&S adverts verging on the girly and 'come hither' compared with Sainsbury's who just have the models standing wearing the underwear as they would a dress.

I much prefer the style usedby Sainsbury's. This tendency to make the models take on sexy poses when advertising underwear has been somethong that has made me uneasy for a number of years. I am so glad that Sainbury's has gone against the received style. It makes me more inclined to make the effort to have a good look at their range in a shop.

Baggs Thu 18-Aug-22 19:59:47

Well, you girls that have an actual m&s shop to go to

Nope. I got my new crop tops by ordering online.

Jane71 Thu 18-Aug-22 15:59:34

Plain white unwired bras for me which M&S still sell. Most recent were Wild Blooms which were fine, though I'm not sure I'm wild or blooming!
I buy my knickers from Tu in multi packs, £9 for a pack of 5.

silvercollie Thu 18-Aug-22 15:32:54

Well, you girls that have an actual m&s shop to go to - whoopee.
Another of life’s little pleasures taken away when my nearest one was closed down a couple of years ago. No rhyme nor reason. The footfall was far in excess of the city one some 20 miles away north and way ahead of the smaller one in an unpopular town to the south. There was weeping and wailing amongst the elderly population who browsed almost every day and met their chums over coffee in the ‘caff’.
Very shortsighted of the company. OK we can buy on line but not all older people have access to or are competent with technology.

Quizzer Thu 18-Aug-22 07:58:41

M&S have lost the plot on all sizing, lingerie included. I bought a cotton bra from Matalan because M&S didn’t have one and loved it. I buy all my underwear there now at a fraction of the price.

Granmarderby10 Wed 17-Aug-22 19:00:46

Like someone above I now have an impressive selection of unwanted removable foam bra inserts.
And, I too favour a Navy blue bra
And I no longer trust the label on the bra itself with regard to sizing anymore as I’ve had two identical that don’t fit the same.
So….the hunt goes on.

Nandalot Wed 17-Aug-22 18:50:27

Quite a timely thread. Just finished ‘catching in’ the leg elastic on one out of a pack of five of no VPL knickers I just bought from M and S.

jerseygirl Wed 17-Aug-22 18:32:31

Please try Damart, i now buy all my bra's from them as their sizing is very good and the larger sizes are well made and have wider straps, high sides, 3 x position fastening and good support. I fell out with m&s ages ago. I got fed up up returning them as they didn't fit. Matalan are ok but i find they are no good for bigger busts, they dont seem to have much support.

Philippa111 Wed 17-Aug-22 18:07:11

Two things I spend a lot of money on are haircuts and bras... I go to Bravissimo. I'm quite large, but they do have smaller sizes. And quite a few in cotton. For me an uncomfortable bra is as awful as a bad haircut!

Lands'end online have lots of good quality nightwear, underwear etc.

pregpaws3 Wed 17-Aug-22 18:01:14

M&S flex fit high waisted pants are just so comfortable to wear I threw all my others out. Wash and dry very quickly too
Rosie silk bras are lovely too and come in a flowered dark blue with matching pants if you’re thinking of displaying your underwear!

maddyone Wed 17-Aug-22 17:53:19

I think M+S has lost the plot completely. I have earned some M+S vouchers from my M+S credit card, so I decided I’d go to spend them. I have to say I haven’t set foot in an M+S store, apart from the local food hall, for several months. Well I came home still in possession of said vouchers. The clothes in there were absolutely dire. A lot of them like some rag bag Laura Ashley stuff from the 1970s. Awful, I wouldn’t be seen dead in them. Frills and flounces and ghastly printed fabrics with lots of shirring elastic in peculiar places. Mostly terribly long and most unattractive. Ugh! Not even a decent tee shirt in sight. I looked in the lingerie department and confess to liking two out of their huge selection of bras, but they had neither in my size. I might add that I looked in Next which is next door and the stuff in there was equally dire. I think I’ll have to go to Chichester tomorrow as it’s a bigger store, although the one I visited isn’t small. I need to find something otherwise the vouchers will run out.
I agree about M+S sizing, I usually have to try three different sizes to get the right fit.

SusiQ8 Wed 17-Aug-22 17:40:05

On the subject of whether there is one or are 48 bras in M&S the answer is to put in the word bra and then filter colour, you will find 48. If though you type in navy bra you get a rather odd colour sports bra offering instead.

Purplepoppies Wed 17-Aug-22 17:35:26

I buy my bras from m&s still. I prefer the ones with non slip shoulders (for my ample size). Sometimes they have them in a range of pretty colours but this season is browns and that doesn't go with anything I own. They used to be £16, now £18.
I buy pants in Sainsburys. Good quality, wash well. I have bought bras there too occasionally but not the same quality as M&S

kwest Wed 17-Aug-22 17:34:34

Try Amplebosom. It is based on a farm in Yorkshire. The owner Sally, diversified and converted a farm building some years ago. their online service is excellent and apparently you can visit if you are in the area for fittings advice etc, I have bought bras and swimsuits from them and they have been excellent quality. They really know their stuff.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 17-Aug-22 17:31:13

I'm horrified to see that the thong is back - something I will never wear again.

On the whole I find M&S underwear not to be too bad, I still have a job to find what I want in my style, size and colour but that's always been the case.

Didolizzy Wed 17-Aug-22 17:02:43

The quality has definitely gone down. My knickers which I’ve been getting for a while are not the same at all even though they are supposed to be. Material thinner as is the elastic band.

Happysexagenarian Wed 17-Aug-22 16:15:58

Baggs: .....if anyone can think of any good uses for unwanted bra pads, please let me know.

I use them to pad the shoulders of coat hangers.

Camelotclub Wed 17-Aug-22 16:06:51

Try Tu at Sainsburys. I like their midi knickers with comfort waistband. Their bra range is good too but the sizing can be a bit haphazard.

Baggs Wed 17-Aug-22 16:05:51

Every bra I have ever bought (mostly cheapos) has lasted years ?

HannahLoisLuke Wed 17-Aug-22 16:04:30

I too just looked for navy bras on M&S website. Just one rather nasty sports type came up, not even navy, more if a peacock blue.
Glad I don’t actually want one.

Bluedaisy Wed 17-Aug-22 16:01:02

Knickers Sloggi double comfort high leg. I only buy in the sale.
Prima Donna bras, expensive but if hand washed last years.

Happysexagenarian Wed 17-Aug-22 16:00:01

Another vote here for Matalan. Good selection of colours and sizes, quality fabrics and well made. Reasonably priced too.

But it you're looking for something more luxurious explore
www.rigbyandpeller.com/en-gb
They're not cheap but the quality and fit is superb.

I used to buy all my underwear from M&S and some of my clothes, but in recent years the quality of their fabrics is not so good and sizing has really gone haywire!