Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Has M&S lingerie lost the plot?

(112 Posts)
CvD66 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:58:59

I've just been to M&S to top up my underwear and was horrified to find mountains of multipacks of bras - with colours that will surely end up in landfill. Not a navy bra to be had (my preferred go-to colour) Their 'new' high leg knickers - my standard for years - are made of the thinnest fabric going! I'm distraught. Where do you buy your underwear? I am in need of guidance to a new decent lingerie shop - after 69 year loyal M&S knicker wearing.

Grandmajean Mon 15-Aug-22 11:04:32

Wish I could help. M and S have lost the plot in all their clothing ranges. I had tee shirts last year (ordered online ) that were really thin and cheap looking. The very low price should have warned me. The M and S that I knew and loved has gone. I have sent several emails complaining about poor quality ( and crazy sizing ) but all I get back are platitudes and assurances that they really do take notice of customers. I don't believe a word of it but where do you go from there ?

Teacheranne Mon 15-Aug-22 11:04:45

I got some decent quality knickers online from Cotton Traders, in packs of 5 different colours. I’ve just started getting bras from Every as I need large sizes and M&S never seem to have any in stock.

Teacheranne Mon 15-Aug-22 11:15:03

Apologies, bras bought from Yours online.

Sago Mon 15-Aug-22 11:23:29

Mataram have a great selection.

Sago Mon 15-Aug-22 11:23:51

Matalan!

MiniMoon Mon 15-Aug-22 11:26:54

Last knickers I bought came from Debenhams online shop. I have not complaints, they are exactly what I wanted.

M0nica Mon 15-Aug-22 11:27:35

M&S lost the plot on underwear decades ago, all those dreadful upholstered bras that make one look like a lost valkyrie from a Wagner Opera, a colour range limited to black and white, lots of 'sexy' underwear all lace and see through nylon. Nothing pretty, no variety of colour.

I buy my pretty ,flower, or other patterned ,underwear in a big French supermarket, and have done. Even the black underwear has white polka dots and a white trim.

Calendargirl Mon 15-Aug-22 11:37:09

I like plain white cotton bras, no wires, padding, lace, satiny bits. (I aren’t big busted).

Used to get perfect ones from BHS, now have to use M&S, ok but not ideal.

As for knickers, used to get Sloggi Hi Legs, but they used to ‘go’ at the waistband after a while, and they got to be really expensive. Then started on Playtex Hi Legs, they were good but no longer sold where I go.

I now get mine from the Original Factory Shop, Aristo I think they are. Plain white, cotton, hi leg. Don’t feel as thick as Sloggis were, but much cheaper and ok.

M&S ones felt very thin, and I don’t want patterns or colour.

Casdon Mon 15-Aug-22 11:41:05

These threads are very misleading. There is a choice of 40 navy bras and 90 types of high leg pants online at Marks and Spencer. They haven’t lost the plot at all, they are catering to millions of women who buy their underwear at M&S who all like different styles, shapes, materials, pack sizes, sizes etc. Years ago the range was limited, now there’s a huge choice. I don’t think the quality has gone down either, certainly not for my preferred style (which isn’t high leg though).

Grandmajean Mon 15-Aug-22 12:27:26

Am puzzledCasdon I have just checked the M and S website and typed in "bras in navy blue" . One only and it's a high impact sports bra.

CraftyGranny Mon 15-Aug-22 12:31:33

i have been getting my Sloggi style knickers from Bon Marche lately. they are just as good as Sloggi but much less expensive.
I agree with M&S comments. No where near as good as they used to be. I tried on 5 bras last week, all the same size and all fitted differently. So I walked out with nothing!

Casdon Mon 15-Aug-22 12:34:31

Grandmajean

Am puzzledCasdon I have just checked the M and S website and typed in "bras in navy blue" . One only and it's a high impact sports bra.

I typed in bra in the search bar, then selected navy from the colour choices Grandmajean, it came up with 48. I just tried it again to make sure, still the same result - it’s probably a poor algorithm if you type navy bra straight into the search bar?

Mine Mon 15-Aug-22 12:37:20

I also buy pants and bras from Bonmarche...Good sizing and lots of choice....Also very reasonable priced..

Baggs Mon 15-Aug-22 12:37:53

I bought bra tops (pull-ons, no wires, not expensive but well-made) and knickers recently from M&S. Really impressed with their "Good Move" sports bras in green and black and one called "Body Body" in dark red. (Pulled the padding out and chucked it but if anyone can think of any good uses for unwanted bra pads, please let me know).

Seven pairs of good quality plain black cotton knickers for £8 seemed like a bargain too.

Maybe you looked in the wrong places, CvD ?

Mine Mon 15-Aug-22 12:39:42

Meant to add a few friends buy their pants from Primark...They are a 3 pack with elastic added...Would suit the mature ladies in size as well..Only reason I don't buy them is I only wear cotton....

pooohbear2811 Mon 15-Aug-22 12:40:46

I have taken to wearing mens trunks as pants as find them so much more comfortable. They don't work with the pop on washable pads but work fine with stick on ones.
Bras are a nightmare, as CragtyGranny says no two are the same, can never find ones I really like and end up buying the multisize slip over the head types, not the most supportive but do the job.
As far as high impact sports bras are concerned why does somebody who wears a 30A need one when nothing much to wobble and nothing needing to be restrained but don't make them in a 46E?

VickyB Mon 15-Aug-22 12:43:20

I had been trying to buy a bra from them for months but gave up looking as it was never in stock in my size. They were supposed to email me when they had one.

I really went off them when they shut up shop in our local town centre. The shop was always busy but clearly not busy enough for M&S to show any loyalty to its staff and customers.

toscalily Mon 15-Aug-22 12:47:15

Grandmajean Your right, out of curiosity I searched navy bra on the M&S website and there is only one (rather horrible) sports bra. Mind you if enough of us put navy bra in their search engine we might get a few more on offer next season grin

Grandmajean Mon 15-Aug-22 12:49:43

Thanks Casdon Will have another go. I am going to blame you for the fact that I have just ordered a pair of navy stretch trousers while browsing !smile

Witzend Mon 15-Aug-22 12:50:03

I went looking for badly needed bras in a large M&S the other day - squillions of them, but could find only one anything like what I wanted - white or flesh colour, not wired or padded (I’m not amply endowed.).

Paid £20 for that one, came home and looked online for what I really wanted (should have done that in the first place) so collecting those today (3 pack for £18 ?) and will return the other.
I still find their knickers OK. Treated myself to a dozen nice new pairs some months ago - threw out a lot of very ancient ones that stubbornly refused to wear out.

Grandmajean Mon 15-Aug-22 13:04:06

Nope- no navy blue apart from the sports one. Lots of cobalt blue which is more like a bright royal blue.

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Aug-22 13:10:39

I still get my bras from M&S, the sumptuously soft range.
Just did a search, if you use the colour drop down filter and click navy 40 do come up.

Baggytrazzas Mon 15-Aug-22 13:10:53

Baggs

I bought bra tops (pull-ons, no wires, not expensive but well-made) and knickers recently from M&S. Really impressed with their "Good Move" sports bras in green and black and one called "Body Body" in dark red. (Pulled the padding out and chucked it but if anyone can think of any good uses for unwanted bra pads, please let me know).

Seven pairs of good quality plain black cotton knickers for £8 seemed like a bargain too.

Maybe you looked in the wrong places, CvD ?

Hi Baggs, they could be glued inside the heels of wellies to stop rubbing. or if unseen when worn, stitched to the top of bra straps at the bit they cut in to shoulders.

Chardy Mon 15-Aug-22 13:11:06

A few years ago daughter bought me a cotton M&S nightdress in Tshirt fabric. I really liked it so I bought the matching lightweight dressing gown (wrap?) in identical material. The wrap went into holes after a couple of washes, the nightdress is still going strong!
I always used to buy M&S Tshirts because they would wash and wash. Now a lot of the quality is very poor.