Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All trussed up

(97 Posts)
silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 11:53:25

Looking at Liz Truss and the dresses (uniform) that she wears no doubt very expensive, why does the material of the dresses look so cheap, looks like there made of nylon and are clinging to her underslip. Is it just me. That said, whatever you think of her as a politician it's a sensible way to dress as I cannot imagine being in the public eye everyday waking up to " I've got nothing to wear".

fairfraise Thu 13-Oct-22 12:02:23

I feel for woman politicians. Their dress is always open to comment! You don't get so much said about men's dress.

RichmondPark1 Thu 13-Oct-22 12:11:16

A heck of a lot was written about the way Boris dressed!

I am a scruffy bugger and so not really entitled to an opinion, but as we're talking light-heartedly about fashion, I think Liz Truss would look a lot more relaxed and less trussed up if she bought everything one size bigger.

silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 12:16:04

Sorry bad English - should have said "looks like the dresses are made of nylon"

that's better!

silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 12:27:36

I agree RichmondPark1, I never look at what men are wearing and that's why I think Liz Truss choice of dresses are a good idea. Keep it simple. It's just the material of the dresses I am wondering about.

Casdon Thu 13-Oct-22 12:40:21

I think her dresses are crepe, and I quite like them, they are appropriate for work. I’m less keen on her colour choices though, she really doesn’t suit dark colours like the green dress she was wearing yesterday, or the dark red one she wore at the conference. She would look better in clearer, brighter colours in my opinion.

Chestnut Thu 13-Oct-22 12:43:25

I have found that fabrics are nowhere near as good as they were back in the 20th century! I used to do dressmaking and remember beautiful sturdy cotton fabrics for dresses, and a strong worsted fabric I used to make a trouser suit. Even sheets used to be much nicer and stronger. I still have an M&S cotton summer dress from the 1970s and the fabric is gorgeous! You just don't get that quality any more.

RichmondPark1 Thu 13-Oct-22 12:47:37

Totally agree with you Chestnut. Not just fabrics either, but almost everything .from loo roll holders to door furniture, it's all worse quality and doesn't last.

silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:03:10

Just been reminded, how badly Michael Foot was ridiculed by all the newspapers for his outfit back in the day.

I remember feeling really sorry for him.

silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:07:30

Yes, I don't even like the material of the jeans I am wearing today. They seem to cling to me and they are straight leg jeans. They are from Marks and Spencer.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:08:18

I am a fan of dresses, no faffing around trying to get coordinates to match etc.

Our PM never looks scruffy.

giulia Thu 13-Oct-22 13:25:47

RichmondPark1

Totally agree with you Chestnut. Not just fabrics either, but almost everything .from loo roll holders to door furniture, it's all worse quality and doesn't last.

Sorry, but what is "door furniture"?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:28:16

Door handles

lemsip Thu 13-Oct-22 13:31:20

she needs a jacket over those drab clingy dresses is my opinion.

Gala Thu 13-Oct-22 13:38:04

Comments about her clothes were the reason Hillary Clinton took to wearing trouser suits - or pants suits as she called them. They became her 'uniform'.

Oldbat1 Thu 13-Oct-22 17:00:39

Dresses always look a bit too tight in my opinion. I agree the material doesn’t look the best either. She obviously likes the style so bought a “job lot” but the colours aren’t the nicest.

Dreamylady Thu 13-Oct-22 17:16:51

In my opinion she dresses like a lady in waiting/PA to a member of the royal family, or a housekeeper in a large country house. I do like the simplicity of the dresses though. I agree about the fabric looking poor quality and the colours being too dark/deep for her colouring. One or two accessories would add some character.

eazybee Thu 13-Oct-22 17:35:13

I don't suppose she has the time to select appropriate clothing at present or spend time having her dresses fitted. Most of the women MPs look scruffy, probably because women's clothes don't suit sitting on an uncomfortable bench clutching paperwork on your lap. When you see royalty and celebrities they are usually photographed standing or walking.

silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 18:01:02

Just like to add, I think the design of the dresses are great, kind of Mary Quantish 1960/1970s and as Chestnut said and makes sense to me that the fabrics are not as good as they could be and it shows, as otherwise, myself having no experience at all in this field wondered why it bugged me so much.

But hey ho - I am sure she has more things to worry about than the material of her dress.

Can't think what!

Chestnut Thu 13-Oct-22 18:03:51

I think if you're an MP or the PM then you need to have a complete wardrobe makeover by an expert. Choose really smart simple clothes that cover you up and can cope with hours of sitting but still look good when walking up Downing Street to the front door of No 10. You want people to pay attention to what you're saying, but because you're a woman everyone will look you up and down and judge you. Hence the reason trouser suits are so good, they put the focus on you being an MP rather than a female MP. I would get a load of trouser suits made in different colours and quality fabrics, so they all look the same but different. Then wear gorgeous necklaces, brooches or even scarves to add some colour.

Blossoming Thu 13-Oct-22 18:04:32

She looks neat and professional to me.

Kalu Thu 13-Oct-22 18:06:21

I always thought Theresa May and Angel Merkel dressed well. Also liked TM’s choice of necklaces.

Kalu Thu 13-Oct-22 18:08:11

Certain pieces of jewellery or scarves can lift an outfit I agree Chestnut.

Yammy Thu 13-Oct-22 18:35:40

I think she needs a good strong bra and lower-shoe heels. My DH who has never in my presence commented on women figures , said yesterday she was bouncing up and down.
When she wears trousers and a jacket she looks much better. Though why should she dress like a man? Do we subconsciously think that suits are more business-like? Theresa May could pull the dress look off but had the jewellery to accompany it.
To quote my late gran her dresses look like they come for the Coop.

RichmondPark1 Thu 13-Oct-22 18:38:57

I like the sound of your gran Yammy.