Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Spotty clothes or stripes! Which do you prefer!

(44 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sat 15-Oct-22 09:54:35

I’m not really a fan of spotty blouses, each to their own of course, but I do love a stripe, whether vertical or horizontal, I also love a leopard and snake print, and a nice bit of tartan.let’s just say I’m clothes mad! Anyone else!

CanadianGran Sun 27-Nov-22 06:21:37

I have quite a few striped tops, and a few polka-dots, but no animal prints or florals.

Oddly I do have a few floral dresses, but the colours are a bit subdued.

AussieGran59 Sat 26-Nov-22 23:43:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyGracie Fri 25-Nov-22 13:56:47

I love spots, my favourite though is gingham.

Poppyred Fri 25-Nov-22 13:51:54

Love spots - very elegant - hate stripes - they make you look bigger than you are! Don’t get me started on floral - especially nighties! 🙄

Oreo Fri 25-Nov-22 13:43:06

Hate stripes and spots of all kind on clothes.

Witzend Fri 25-Nov-22 13:16:50

I have several ‘sailor’ horizontal stripe summer tops in pure cotton from Seasalt. They come with elbow length sleeves - I don’t do short sleeves any more.
Otherwise no, and def. no spots.

JackyB Fri 25-Nov-22 13:08:09

I'm with the plain Janes. No stripes, dots, flowers and definitely no animal prints. Just unsullied blocks of colour. Easier to mix and match.

Theexwife Fri 25-Nov-22 12:56:59

I cannot stand stripes, especially with added flowers, Joules.
Got fed up of spots as wore them too often,and do not like animal print.

Just looked at what I am wearing as I had not really noticed the pattern, My top has little leaves but you wouldn't know they were leaves unless you looked closely. My clothes all tend to be Whitestuff or Monsoon, so they are their sort of patterns.

MrsKen33 Fri 25-Nov-22 12:38:13

Neither. I’m not a fan of pattern, or anything floral. Colour and texture are more important to me

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 25-Nov-22 11:41:37

Most of my clothes are plain but at the moment I'm knitting a jumper with narrow horizontal stripes which is based on a Breton design.

I very much like floral patterns, especially those with subtle colours. I'm not keen on patterns which have such a great contrast that you can't tell which is the dominant colour as they make my eyes go funny.

MawtheMerrier Fri 25-Nov-22 11:35:00

Fernbergien

Fancy dark tartan trews but can’t find any.

Oh tartan! (Or “plaid” as our US cousins insist on calling it)
I really miss it down here, somehow it looks out of place but as a child we all had kilts, as an adult tartan skirts or jackets (not together, not trolley dollies) and a long kilt for evenings. Tartan trews -Black Watch by preference-would be lovely.

GrannyZoom Fri 25-Nov-22 11:33:59

I prefer stripes and have quite a few T shirt type tops. Spots are not my favourite, but I have been know to wear the odd spot !

Kate54 Fri 25-Nov-22 11:27:40

Love both. I have a theory that the fondness for stripes (including in soft furnishings) goes back to early childhood watching Andy Pandy and reading, many times, the Milly Molly Mandy books. MMM (great name) always had little dresses made out of ….. ticking? Also loved the hand-drawn map at the front. Do children still read them nowadays?

eazybee Fri 25-Nov-22 11:19:00

I like both spots and stripes, but for china and furnishings, not to wear.

Namsnanny Fri 25-Nov-22 10:40:35

Prefer plain clothes, with pattern of any sort as an accent.

BigBertha1 Fri 25-Nov-22 10:27:23

I love a polka dot dress in navy I have 3 at the moment. I just feel smart and feminine in them. I'm a bit round so striped don't work for me but i do have the obligatory Joules matelot top for wearing with jeans if I can't think of anything else to go shopping in. Feels like a uniform in Waitrose!!!

Fernbergien Fri 25-Nov-22 10:17:08

Fancy dark tartan trews but can’t find any.

VB000 Fri 25-Nov-22 09:56:57

Auntieflo

Love Stripes, but haven't got anything Spotty.

But I did fall for the brown and white spotty dress in 'An Officer and a Gentleman'

Totally agree, love both - another Richard Gere fan here, the film was Pretty Woman, featuring that lovely dress!

MiniMoon Fri 25-Nov-22 09:41:41

I do like spotty/polka dotty dresses and blouses. I'm not fond of stripes. That being said though, I used to have a lovely black and white top with jazzy zebra stripes that I wore with a black skirt or trousers. If I could find another like it, I would buy it.

BrieJeff94 Fri 25-Nov-22 09:29:53

I love horizontal striped jumpers. Elenor on the show 'The Good Place' wears the cutest jumpers, all striped and rainbow ☺️

Lucca Sat 15-Oct-22 17:10:16

The stripy T-shirt/Breton top is another “uniform” i once sent into a clothes shop where five women customers were in stripy tops (self included)

Grannybags Sat 15-Oct-22 16:52:47

I've had to make a conscious effort not to buy any more striped tops as I don't own much else.

I head straight for stripes in shops and have to tear myself away before I buy anything else!

shysal Sat 15-Oct-22 15:56:26

Most of my tops are striped. I have one style of Boden Breton in 6 or 7 colours plus many others, half of them blue and white, including some Joules Harbour ones with added flowers. I expect all who see me think I never wash my clothes!

bikergran Sat 15-Oct-22 15:24:46

Love polka dots .But not acually got amything with polka on,other than a lovely yellow duvet cover with white tiny polka dots.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 15:08:51

I really don’t like animal prints at all.