Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mutton As Lamb

(106 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Wed 19-Oct-22 11:01:57

I really dislike that saying!im interested in hearing others opinions, for instance which items of Clothing would you love to wear but you consider them too young, I’m mid sixties but draw the line at mini skirts, very low tops showing cleavage, but wear faux leather trousers etc,

paddyann54 Wed 19-Oct-22 11:26:30

I'm 68 ,I still wear tunic dresses ,above the knee with thick tights and boots ,I have a few pairs of faux and real leather trousers which I wear a lot and I have some lowish tops and dresses.
It just depends on your confidence,if you feel you look good in it...wear it .
I always wear high heels .
Age is just a number and we all reach that number by different routes ,my late mother was always very style conscious so I guess thats something I get from her

Redhead56 Wed 19-Oct-22 11:35:14

No short skirts tank tops leather pants did all that when young and slimmer. I have never been one to show cleavage off. I used to love high heels can’t wear any heels now I have to be realistic and dress accordingly. I used to wear loads of eye makeup I don’t now I can’t see what I’m doing it would look hideous now.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 19-Oct-22 12:01:10

Who wants to be mutton dressed as mutton?

Kate1949 Wed 19-Oct-22 12:10:20

I'm 73. I still wear skirts above the knee (not short) with thick tights. My legs have always been my best feature. As long as they are covered with tights they look OK.

Aveline Wed 19-Oct-22 12:26:51

My friend says that mutton dressed as lamb is one thing but he sees too many he calls, 'carrion dressed as mutton!'
I'm saying nothing.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 19-Oct-22 12:28:20

Aveline

My friend says that mutton dressed as lamb is one thing but he sees too many he calls, 'carrion dressed as mutton!'
I'm saying nothing.

While he of course in an Adonis with perfect style.

PernillaVanilla Wed 19-Oct-22 12:33:42

Gold hot pants? Otherwise I wear much as I always have. I’m only 5’3” so baggy clothes usually don’t suit me.

dogsmother Wed 19-Oct-22 12:53:00

Some people can carry things off with panache. Others have the look of hedges backwards….. who cares really about the age I still believe that’s a number or a state of mind.

Riverwalk Wed 19-Oct-22 12:54:13

Aveline

I'm saying nothing.

That sounds very cruel - do you not put him in his place?

Blossoming Wed 19-Oct-22 12:56:58

I would not look as fabulous in mini skirts, hot pants, crop tops, skin tight trousers and clingy dresses as I did in my 20s grin

Margiknot Wed 19-Oct-22 12:57:10

I'm mid/late 60s, short and apple shaped (not over weight, but not slim either) and usually wear knee length dresses (just above the knee- with opaques), usually a variation of a shift dress. Can you tell I was a teen in the late 60s! I've worn this shape since my early adult years, (mostly for work) so am trying to experiment with other styles as I wind down into retirement. I have a midi straight knitted skirt (on me its almost ankle length) which I've had a long time (from an unwise experiment with 'body con') but rarely worn- and I have found that it suits me( and is lovely and warm) as long as my top hides the lumpy area around the waist and hips.
I think it depends on what suits your shape - and what you are confident in. Age can affect shape and what shoes are comfortable so what else looks right. Skirts below the knee/ mid calf can look dowdy on my short frame (with flat shoes) - the proportions are wrong for me- but look lovely on others of my age.

Calendargirl Wed 19-Oct-22 13:22:15

I bought a couple of inexpensive pinafore dresses from Peacocks last winter. Just wish they were a bit longer. They are above the knee, and I wear them with black opaques.

As Kate said, have always thought I have good legs for my age, nearly 70, and I think I look ok in them, but do wonder if others think I am a bit old for the shorter length.

Would leggings be better with them? Have never worn leggings.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Oct-22 13:24:08

Wear what you feel comfortable in.

I dress for me, not anyone else.

Naughtyneine Wed 19-Oct-22 13:56:04

I'm still wearing it all and I'm not going to see 65 again ..vest tops...skirts above my knees...shorts in Summer ( admittedly not very short shorts to go out but at home my Daisy Dukes as my DOH calls them are on as soon as the sun is out. I break the make up rule of either eyes or lips every day and I wear it all with a smile and give thanks that I'm still able to...too many friends didn't live long enough to get the chance. Finally I really don't care what people think of me... I'm only passing this way once.

Kate1949 Wed 19-Oct-22 14:05:07

Calendargirl. I no longer worry about what others think. I'm going to wear what I like for as long as I can. I'm not really overweight and I see a lot of people who look worse than me! Short(ish) skirts look great with thick tights or leggings and boots.

GagaJo Wed 19-Oct-22 14:07:34

Certain shoes. I call them tarty, I'm sure 20 somethings would call them high fashion.

Low cut tops. Skirts too short. Leather/PVC although I have a very elegant friend who has a fabulous leather dress. It's classy. Skirts too tight. Some animal prints. Although some are fine too.

I do agree, we should all wear whatever we like. But the list above is a no-go area for me. I'm not elegant, but it's what I'd aim for, rather than the above which attempt sexy.

Aveline Wed 19-Oct-22 14:21:10

Tragically Foghornleghorn my outspoken friend is sartorially impeccable.

Maggiemaybe Wed 19-Oct-22 14:41:44

To answer the question, I can't think there's anything I want to wear but consider too young. I don't yearn to wear very short skirts or ripped jeans, etc. Saying that, I wear what I want, what I think looks good. My legs aren't bad, so I'll happily wear good leggings, and above the knee dresses with opaque tights. I caved this Summer though and lengthened a couple of summer dresses a bit, because my bare knees aren't what they were. smile

I'll still wear a low cut top, but only with a longer skirt - I do try not to frighten the horses!

NanaDH Wed 19-Oct-22 14:56:49

I think there are items of clothes that I would love to wear but would need a big boost of confidence to do so. I was watching this morning yesterday and Gok was on dressing women and it was his confidence giving enthusiasm as well as the clothes that made those women look and feel amazing and none looked like mutton or lamb ?

BigBertha1 Wed 19-Oct-22 15:44:31

Can of worms - don't go there. Wear what you like, feel comfortable in and can afford.

M0nica Wed 19-Oct-22 16:41:13

Like many phrases the saying 'mutton dressed as lamb' is as dead as a dodo. I haven't heard anyone use it for a very long time and I hope no one will.

Nowadays anyone of any age can wear what they damn well like. Anyone at any age can wear clothes that do not suit them and raise eyebrows, but that may be what they want. Many people can look surprisingly good in clothes that at first glance might seem unsuitable.

My rule has always been, dress to be comfortable - and stylish. The two are not contradictory terms.

Some things I have never worn because they are uncomfortable or just not my taste - at any age: high heels, bikinis, low tops, tight or straight skirts, gathered skirts, leather, and animal prints to start with.

Snowedunder Wed 19-Oct-22 16:46:00

Where can I buy knee length shift dresses to wear with opaques this winter?? I’m only 5’ and struggle to find ones that would suit me n

MrsKen33 Wed 19-Oct-22 16:51:16

I would second thatMOnica and add polka dots, anything gathered and sports bras.
Now I am wearing leggings and a Seasalt. tunic. I like clumpy shoes, Birkenstocks, DMs and Josef Seibel. No dog patterned cardies or flowery macs.
Plain , simple good fabrics and colours that suit me.

sodapop Wed 19-Oct-22 17:49:34

Sadly I've not got the legs for short skirts any more and really dislike the plastic trousers which seem very popular now. Generally trousers and tops for me, no jumpers as I get too hot. I do like ankle boots and have them in many colours.