Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you wear Slips and/or Petticoats

(91 Posts)
Kelsey1964 Tue 25-Oct-22 08:26:54

I often wear a full slip or waist slip and camisole, especially during the winter months as they provide another layer to keep me warm and make my clothes hang better, I always wear them with thinner slightly see through skirts and dresses.
What is your opinion, do you consider them old-fashioned? do you wear slips or would you consider them? are they a sexy addition to your lingerie or just to be used as nightwear?
I would love to hear your opinions

Redhead56 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:55:24

No they are not remotely sexy just something practical to wear I don’t like clingy clothes.

LittleDot Tue 25-Oct-22 09:55:49

I don't think they are old fashioned but more than that people can wear what makes them feel better. I guess see-through things are just a big no-no for me. I have a slip I sleep in, and it's made of modal, which is so comfortable to wear. I also would make sure none of my dresses were see-through if I wore them. I used to, but these days see myself in leggings and casual wear more. I find them quite pretty, comfortable, and ladylike!

Marmight Tue 25-Oct-22 10:04:07

I don’t possess one & I can’t remember the last time I wore one. I hated my waist being encumbered with elastic and waistbands : pants, tights, slip; skirt. I felt totally claustrophobic
I only wear a dress on high days & holidays and never a skirt. Comfort first all the way (mostly in Kit & Caboodle trousers)

Yammy Tue 25-Oct-22 10:40:03

I didn't know they could still be bought. I usually wear trousers and put a cami under a thin blouse or low neckline top I have invested in a few thermal vests.
Thinking back to childhood the layers were a vest, Liberty bodice,underskirt[petticoat], blouse and twin set with a thick woollen kilt and beige wool knee socks. The only part uncovered were our knees!!!!
My mother always asked for an underskirt as a present when she could no longer find a good selection, women's clothes were always lined for a better fit and warmth. Maybe fashion needs to change.hmm

Poppyred Tue 25-Oct-22 10:47:13

Yes of course! Wouldn’t dream of wearing a dress or skirt with possibly see-through material without one.

rosie1959 Tue 25-Oct-22 10:50:07

Haven't worn one for years summer too hot for any extra layers and either winter dresses are already lined or of a decent weight fabric.
I do wear quite a few dresses or skirts but then again cannot tolerate trousers in summer only shorts

crazyH Tue 25-Oct-22 10:57:48

I wear trousers all the time - but do occasionally wear a loose dress in Summer (only in the house). I dare not show my skinny legs to the world !

Nana3 Tue 25-Oct-22 11:07:41

I have a few underskirts and vests, I am my mother's daughter :-)

I also never buy from amazon and shop in the high street mostly.

Forsythia Tue 25-Oct-22 11:15:03

I haven’t worn one for many years. Like others, I have one in the drawer just in case, but not sure just in case will ever happen!

Blossoming Tue 25-Oct-22 11:21:39

I wear an underskirt under a few unlined dresses to avoid static cling. I certainly wouldn’t wear them to bed, how weird! As for sexy, they have more fabric than many slip dresses so no.

Sardinia2020 Tue 25-Oct-22 11:27:13

A bit old fashioned now

Kalu Tue 25-Oct-22 11:35:47

Sardinia2020

A bit old fashioned now

Nothing to do with fashion! A necessity for me when I wear a sweater dress if I want it to hang well.

Kalu Tue 25-Oct-22 11:41:15

Yammy

I didn't know they could still be bought. I usually wear trousers and put a cami under a thin blouse or low neckline top I have invested in a few thermal vests.
Thinking back to childhood the layers were a vest, Liberty bodice,underskirt[petticoat], blouse and twin set with a thick woollen kilt and beige wool knee socks. The only part uncovered were our knees!!!!
My mother always asked for an underskirt as a present when she could no longer find a good selection, women's clothes were always lined for a better fit and warmth. Maybe fashion needs to change.hmm

In my case Yammy, my first kilt was made with a Liberty bodice attached, to complete the look, fairisle jumper, fawn top hoes and Clark’s brown lace up shoes. ?

ParlorGames Tue 25-Oct-22 11:47:52

I have several slips, full length and waist. On the occasions that I wear a skirt or dress I always wear a slip, can't stand that clingy feeling of the dress/skirt fabric clinging to my tights and its. makes the garments hang so much better.
A proper slip bears no similarity to sexy lingerie either.......whatever put that idea in the OP"s head??

Kelsey1964 Tue 25-Oct-22 12:30:07

Some really interesting comments here, I didn't suggest that slips were sexy, in fact most of the ones I own are plain and practical, I also own a few silky ones with lace trim which are really pretty and "could be seen as sexy", I was merely asking the question so my conclusion is that slips aren't seen as sexy by the majority of you and I totally agree, just a practical garment smile

Poppyred Tue 25-Oct-22 13:27:12

Sardinia2020

A bit old fashioned now

What’s old fashioned about wanting to look decent??
Remember Diana in that see-thru skirt? Bet she cringed every time she saw the photo.

Rosina Tue 25-Oct-22 14:01:07

A few items in my wardrobe are lined, and are so comfortable, and hang beautifully. I also have slips in a cool fabric, both half and full length, that I wear under anything that might be clingy or see through. I feel more comfortable with a slip under a dress - you don't feel seams, and the whole thing hangs better. How can that possibly be 'old fashioned' if the end result is comfort and a better look?

welbeck Tue 25-Oct-22 14:06:10

annsixty

As I seldom wear anything but trousers the answer is no.

must be warm where you live, to be able to go topless.

AreWeThereYet Tue 25-Oct-22 14:39:18

Don't understand the sexy addition bit or using them as nightwear (although I suppose you could wear some as nighties if you want something thin) but yes, I do wear them with thin, unlined dresses. Helps the dress hang properly and stops knickers and bras showing through. M&S still sell them, I bought a skin tone one early in the Summer towear under a white dress.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 25-Oct-22 15:15:11

..........."*are they a sexy addition to your lingerie or just to be used as nightwear?*"

Sexy? grin. I've never worn a petticoat or underslip.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Oct-22 15:40:24

No never worn one (maybe when I was at school)

Esmay Tue 25-Oct-22 18:20:33

I don't usually wear petticoats , but maybe they are a good idea if chilly .

If I'm wearing one of my fifties dresses then yes - I'll wear one of those big puffy petticoats made of net !

Jane71 Tue 25-Oct-22 19:24:21

Used to wear them years ago for work when skirts and dresses were expected, but haven't worn one since. Mostly trousers/jeans/leggings nowadays thank goodness. I do have a lovely skirt for smart but it's lined.
On top its a cami if I'm likely to show my bra as I can't stand my undies showing: I'm a bit of a prude re that.
Don't understand why they should be sexy.

Yammy Tue 25-Oct-22 19:31:21

Kalu

Yammy

In my case Yammy, my first kilt was made with a Liberty bodice attached, to complete the look, fairisle jumper, fawn top hoes and Clark’s brown lace up shoes. ?

You, ve just reminded me I had one as well it was a right faff to get it off for P.E. Clarks lace-ups for winter and Clarks sandals for summer they were regulation school uniform and so hard they could have been made out of car tyres I remember the blisters well.

hollysteers Tue 25-Oct-22 19:46:52

welbeck

annsixty

As I seldom wear anything but trousers the answer is no.

must be warm where you live, to be able to go topless.

Haha welbeck?
I think of them as a 1950s thing and haven’t worn one for many years. Might give them another go.
I disagree about the sexiness. A pure silk black lace trimmed slip is rather sexy and what about Liz Taylor in “Cat on a hot tin roof”?