Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Can anyone recommend a good - long- raincoat?

(96 Posts)
Sarah74 Thu 24-Nov-22 13:04:18

I have a Regatta warm lined waterproof jacket, which needs replacing. I would prefer to get a longer style this time, but the ones I’ve seen - in Seasalt for instance - are hugely expensive. Is it worth investing? Are they good? Or any other recommendations? Thanks

icanhandthemback Sun 27-Nov-22 10:48:17

Thank you peeps, I spent the whole day on T'internet after reading this thread to find a decent but stylish long raincoat. Why are they so sacklike? I'm short and I think I'd look like a sack of spuds in them. What are those shoulder bits all about? I don't want to look more triangular than I already am.
Why when you put "coat" in the search engine, do you get "Jackets"? They are completely different things. Why do half the sites not give a decent description for their coats? I want to remove the collar as they irritate me enormously and I don't mind a hair wash! .
Anyway, in the end, I went for a waxed cotton 3/4 length jacket. I figured with a long pair of wellies it will keep me dry enough. My lovely fireman's boots are a bit heavy for long walks so I started a new search. OMG, the price of wellies!

pen50 Sat 26-Nov-22 22:37:26

I have a Land's End Stadium Squall coat. Mid calf on me (5'3"), warm lined, waterproof with a hood. Frankly anything could be happening weather-wise; I wouldn't know.

The two-way zip was irritatingly not very keen to join when I first got it but now that it's been washed that seems to have fixed itself.

Northernlass Sat 26-Nov-22 22:03:05

Have a look at Lighthouse - they've currently got 25% off .
www.lighthouseclothing.co.uk/search?type=product&q=long+waterproof+coats

I wanted to buy a Janelle coat from Seasalt but some of the reviews were off-putting eg quality not as good as it used to be and zips failing after a short time.

Kim19 Sat 26-Nov-22 18:37:45

I've had my old faithful Cotton Traders mid calf for over 20 years now. No complaints from me.

SunshineSally Sat 26-Nov-22 18:26:44

FannyCornforth

Oh brilliant Sally! I’m so pleased! smile
Be prepared for a wait though, I ordered a Heart Felt dress from them a week ago, and it hasn’t been dispatched yet.
I hope you have more luck!

Oh! I had a email saying it’s been dispatched and delivery due by Wednesday! I hope they’re not telling porkies! 😂 🤞🤞

Greciangirl Sat 26-Nov-22 18:00:28

Try Lands End. They had a massive sale a few days ago.

Bijou Sat 26-Nov-22 17:43:14

I don’t know if they are still available but twenty years ago I bought a Dannimac. Have only just put it in the charity bag as I am now housebound.

Joseanne Sat 26-Nov-22 17:08:07

Daisyboodle the coat is longer than the description on me, reaches my knees and more, but I'm not tall.

Sophrosyne Sat 26-Nov-22 17:06:18

@Auntieflo I can throughly recommend Tog24. They are well established and as well as their online site they have about 50 "bricks and mortar" stores. Have bought quite a few jackets - waterproof, "down" and fleece which are good quality for the price.

Joseanne Sat 26-Nov-22 17:06:03

Daisyboodle

@Joseanne can you remember the name of the design you bought please? It's exactly what I'm after!

Plant Hunter Waterproof Coat
Mid-thigh length parka-style waterproof coat with two-way zip and adjustable hood.

GrannySquare Sat 26-Nov-22 17:00:16

Before Seasalt went large, LandsEnd were my go-to for quality robust rainwear.

Hymnbook Sat 26-Nov-22 16:08:08

I've bought a few coats from Cotton Traders usually at half price when they have a sale. Also have a look at Rydale clothing. They have longer raincoats because they cater for country pursuits e.g. Horse 🐎 riding etc.

saltnshake Sat 26-Nov-22 15:26:55

12 years ago I bought a long squall coat from Landsend. It was and still is used daily in winter when walking the dog. It is waterproof, windproof, breathable and very warm. You don't have to worry about staining if a muddy dog leaves paw prints on it. Full price they are over £170 but Landsend have frequent sales. I bought mine for half price and it has been worth every penny.

Daisyboodle Sat 26-Nov-22 15:17:13

@Joseanne can you remember the name of the design you bought please? It's exactly what I'm after!

Lizzie257 Sat 26-Nov-22 13:51:52

I have a Seasalt Janelle coat, in black and it’s been great I wear it every day in the winter and it’s never leaked. I wash it and treat it with waterproofing every year. It’s 3 years old now and looks just as good as when I got it.
It was expensive but it comes with a lifetime guarantee and Seasalt will replace it if anything goes wrong. They did with mine when the zip went. I would definitely recommend it, it’s the best coat I’ve ever had.

Marjgran Sat 26-Nov-22 13:50:49

It is hard to find one that genuinely remains waterproof for several years justifying the investment. Rohan are great but very expensive. I am on my second seasalt but that is because they gave me the second very cheaply after I complained about the first one. My first seasalt let me down on a trip, the rain came straight through. It was four years old but not much used as I had another Mac I had tended to use, keeping my seasalt for best. I argued that a well looked after four year old Mac should be waterproof, especially as they advertise “Lifetime Guarantee”. They replied that four years was an appropriate life for a waterproof! Tell that to my ancient Rohan..

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Nov-22 13:28:20

I don't think a good raincoat will be cheap.

drizabone are expensive, but then so is McIntosh.

In my experience few cheaper raincoats remain waterproof very long.

Cambia Sat 26-Nov-22 13:25:20

Just ordered a waterproof jacket from Weird Fish on Black Friday costing around £50 which I think is good value.

GrannySquare Sat 26-Nov-22 13:23:29

Seasalt coats over all good value: quality & style.

My tip is to join your local NHS Trust as a member & claim the legitimate benefit of signing up to one of the NHS discount sites.

I use healthservicediscounts.com/ which has a 35% discount code for Seasalt for now.

Just so that y’all know.

GrauntyHelen Sat 26-Nov-22 13:22:04

I have a Cotton traders one bought in an outlet at Dobbies for £30 waterproof cosy lined generously sized and knee length

nipsmum Sat 26-Nov-22 13:12:14

I have 3 Regatta jackets. A long winter one ( I am only 5 feet) . Most things are long on me. A medium length winter one and a medium lengt?h summer one. I got them all several years ago in Regatta sale and have worn them over about the last 8 years to walk my dogs, 3 times a day.They are really good value and washable.

62Granny Sat 26-Nov-22 13:05:08

Ladyripple

Seasalt have an eBay shop.

Thank you for that advise I just looked at them as I was in the same position a OP. And bagged one at £67 instead of £120 so very pleased and hopefully I will like it when it arrives.

Kalu Sat 26-Nov-22 13:01:53

If you have a store near you, try TKMaxx where you will find a selection of quality raincoats at much cheaper prices.

I still wear my years old stockman type full length coat as shown above by another poster. Keeps me completely dry, waterproof and wind proof.

Philippa111 Sat 26-Nov-22 12:58:34

Yes, Seasalt 'Janelle' coat. Its cosy , elegant and lasts well. Only slight fault is the arms are not well lined and I find it a bit cold sometimes. Seasalt has a good sale store on Ebay . It's where I buy most of my clothes...and just now there are some amazing bargains to be had, coats included. I got a lovely £75 dress for £26 just yesterday.

Nellie54 Sat 26-Nov-22 12:51:47

Look at Go Outdoors, members get great deals. Membership is only £10; but you save £££